main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Peter Jackson should direct Ep III!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by mrblack66, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrblack66

mrblack66 Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2002
    After seeing The Lord of the Rings for the first time the night, I am convinced that the man for the job to direct the last one is not Spielberg or Lucas..but Peter Jackson.

Star Wars should go out with a flash of brilliance, craftmanship and strong story telling that I think only Jackson could deliver. I know its a mute point..but to think what could have been.

2. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    No he shouldn't. George Lucas made Star Wars, and he can finish it. [face_plain]

3. annie_skywalker001

annie_skywalker001 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
  4. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Who would do the best job filling in the gaps with the sixth and final installment of the Star Wars saga? The guy who has worked on every single one so far, or some new guy?

Lucas should direct it.

5. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    If you're gonna say this, when would it end? M Night should direct it! That Godzilla guy should direct it! Tim Minear should direct it! Some *insert name of art director that us SW fans probably haven't heard of :p* should direct it!

And you're receiving relatively kind responses so far. Just be prepared for the flamin' and grillin' that would make the infernos of hell look like a family BBQ.

*hands mrblack flameproof umbrellla, and retreats from thread as fast as possible*

[face_mischief]

6. mrblack66

mrblack66 Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2002
    Have you ever seen a more coherent and well put together epic sized motion picture than LOTR. I havent and I am not even a fan of that fantasy world genre. Its what SW have been.

Lucas has to understand his limitations, he is a brilliant writer and dreamer, but his craftmanship get sloppy at times when he gets tangled up in the use of new technology, and his poor communication skills to the actors is well known.

Let GL put aside his huge ego and combine his talents with Jackson to create in true epic fashion a film that the SW saga deserves.

7. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    It's not like I disagree with you, but I know a lot will. The bigger problem here is that some will really disgree with you, and faster than one could say "Holy foul language, Batman!" any discussion will turn only to flaming.

And I only agree about what you said regarding LOTR, but let's not forget, PJ really wanted to do this. He was willing to spend his energy on it. Unless he displays the same passion for SW, any choice of director is as good as GL.

8. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    Is it just me, or do you think that if Peter Jackson directed Ep. III that people would start complaining and want some other person to direct it?! "No! We wanted Lucas back! Or did we really want the Godzilla guy to do it?!?!" :p

Edit: Please excuse the grammar. I'm tired.

9. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    there's another thread of this somewhere.... you shoul read the responses there. pretty good input in there.

10. Theedage

Theedage Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2001
    If peter jackson directed it I would have the distinct feeling we would see many cameos of hobbits.

11. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I have a feeling that if Peter Jackson directed Episode 3, Padme and Jar Jar Binks death would be very long.

12. YodaJediMaster12

YodaJediMaster12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 26, 2002
    Have you ever seen a more coherent and well put together epic sized motion picture than LOTR.

Yes, its called the Star Wars saga.
    [face_plain]

Let GL put aside his huge ego and combine his talents with Jackson to create in true epic fashion a film that the SW saga deserves.

Call me crazy, but I think that all the movies GL has created in the SW universe have been a "film that the SW saga deserves".

I have a feeling that if Peter Jackson directed Episode 3, Padme and Jar Jar Binks death would be very long.

LOL I definitely agree with you on that point. While LOTR was an okay movie in my estimations, it was nothing compared to any of the SW flicks. And the death scenes in the movie were the worst part...takes someone fifteen minutes to die.

13. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Have you ever seen a more coherent and well put together epic sized motion picture than LOTR.

Yes, I have. Each movie of the SW saga.

and his poor communication skills to the actors is well known.

Could you provide some documented examples of this well known fact?

Let GL put aside his huge ego

Can you provide some documented examples of this huge ego?

and combine his talents with Jackson to create in true epic fashion a film that the SW saga deserves.

And thank all applicable deities he isn't going to sully the SW films with the overrated Peter "Shaky Camera/Nostril Shot/20 Minute Death Scenes/Excessive Use of Slo Mo" Jackson.

14. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Peter Jackson has his story, which he really didn't create.

George Lucas has his story, which he created.

Who is more brilliant?

15. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    Peter Jackson is a great director, and did an excellent job with FOTR, but I still say Lucas should direct Episode III.

16. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Peter Jackson should direct EP3..............

Of lord of the rings. Wait he did! Keep it that way.

If you feel you know better, direct a movie or did you in fact direct the "Aventures of Pluto Nash and Battlefireld Earth."

Stick to what you know best..................
    NOTHING!:D ;) :p [face_laugh]

Edit: Wow, I must have really had a bad day today. :p

17. YodaBoomstick

YodaBoomstick Jedi Master star 1

Jul 19, 2002
    DarthMak
    Jan 01Jackson should direct Ep III!
    Peter Jackson has his story, which he really didn't create.

George Lucas has his story, which he created.

Who is more brilliant?

------------------------------------------
    People, that actually isnt true, Go rent the Movie Hidden Fortress, Japaense Film made in the 50's, its basicall the same plot as A New Hope. go to www.imdb.com and search it. Lucas has borrowed many things from this film among other films too make the SW films.Not trying to upse anyone but..just look at the facts. the first SW film is just an American Version of That.

18. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Man, I am so sick of The Hidden Fortress. Sure, Lucas borrowed elements from that movie, but he has made 4 sequels and has another on the way. He has created a universe filled with so much richness. All Jackson did was make a movie out of a book. I'm not bashing LOTR, I think it will be a great trilogy, but Peter Jackson has gotten way too much credit for it. Tolkien deserves the credit for creating the story.

19. shocktrooper

shocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    No not at all...
    The reason FOTR is so good is because PJ has a passion for Toilkens books.
    SW is Georges Passion and that is why they are so great, I'm not saying GL has to direct I'm saying either way is fine with me.

20. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    I just saw LOTR this week. Didn't care for it one bit. So, no.

21. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Stick to what you know best..................
    NOTHING!

So, if we don't know about directing, we must refrain from committing blasphemy against the almighty Lucas??? Wow!

Heh...I was just waiting for that sort of comment to surface. It would have come sooner if this was in the prequel forums, oh yes. Along with locking and spanking, flamings galore!

22. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Lucas was inspired by Hidden Fortress, yes. And yes, there are similarities. Lucas's original story for SW resembled Hidden Fortress so much that he thought about doing a remake. But as he wrote out the story, it resembled HF less and less. It does not have the "same plot" or the "same characters," despite the efforts of Lucas-bashers to paint it so.

Lucas did not adapt an already told story. He wrote his own, and that he had inspirations (HF, LOTR, westerns, and Dune, among others) is not a bad or unusual thing. In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to find a totally original story. LOTR isn't a totally original story; Tolkien had at least as many inspirations as Lucas, and probably some of the same inspirations.

Peter Jackson adapted an already told story to the screen. He did an adequate job. But I do not think he is the genius he's being undeservedly touted as, and probably will be touted as for the rest of his career. Nor do I think he should direct Episode III. If people are so infatuated with his watered-down, overlong LOTR and think it kicks SW's butt, they're welcome to cotton to that. I wish they wouldn't hang around here and gum up the forums with their Jackson worship, and I know for a fact that the vice-versa would not be tolerated on LOTR forums.

The proper parallel is between Lucas and Tolkien, not Lucas and Jackson.

23. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    SW has never been what TLOTR is. It has always been what it still is.
    Lucas is da man!

24. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Not at all!! Star Wars is Lucas' baby, he's the only one who may direct the very last episode.

25. A-New-Hope

A-New-Hope Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2002
    Have you ever seen a more coherent and well put together epic sized motion picture than LOTR. I havent and I am not even a fan of that fantasy world genre. Its what SW have been

Repeating what everyone else has said: Yes, and it's called Star Wars. Also, Terminator 2, the Matrix, Raiders of the Lost Ark, even Conan.

Now that I've seen LOTR on DVD 2nd/3rd times, I'm finding a lot of slow, dragging parts as well as useless plotless parts that could have been cut out. The slow mo and Elijah's "oh my gosh someone's just squeezed my nuts" look is pretty annoying too. Don't get me wrong, FOTR is still great, but Peter Jackson is not the person to take SW's reign. I can't bear seeing Portman having the same expression as Elijah. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.