main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Peter Mayhew in Knoxville, TN 6/1 and 6/2

Discussion in 'Archive: Raleigh, NC' started by K9-Rod, May 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K9-Rod

K9-Rod Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2002
    I thought that would grab your attention.

This is an invitation to all fans in this area.

On June 1st and 2nd Knxville will be Hosting Adventure Con. One of our guests of honor will be the wookie himself.....Peter Mayhew.

You are all invited. If you are interested please go to this site for info and directions.
    http://toyshow.org/.

Also come support the forming of the Knxville FANFORCE chapter. This will be our first meeting to try to get the ball rolling.

Thanks and I hope to see you all this weekend

2. TK-924

TK-924 Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    Wish I could go. Sounds like fun.

I sure wish that the Triangle area could get a huge SW Con.

3. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Honestly, TK! If we can get a 3 day anime event like Animazement, it should be a cinch to get Star Wars event here.

4. TK-924

TK-924 Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    Man, that would be cool. :) I'm sure that a local SW Con would draw a big crowd!

5. dinoX

dinoX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    If we had a Star Wars event here at the civic center in downtown raleigh or even the ESA...I would DEFINITLY go. Since its in Raleigh...and not any other place further away from my residency.

6. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Thing is, tho, we'd have to get someone like Peter Mayhew to come here. Or maybe David Prowse (original Darth Vader) who lives somewhere here in NC. Someone who's a big draw. There are so many levels we could play in, from books, to RPGs, to CCGs, toys and miniatures, all types of fans across the entire spectrum could pull it. Problem with Raleigh is that they get more people here for a RibFest and Jimmy Buffet than anything else. Hmmm. Star Wars, beach bums, and ribs.... [face_devil] What a combo..

7. chuckreis

chuckreis Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2002
    Wow Jimmy Buffet, Ribs and SW all in one post, that sir is an accomplishment!

I would like to see a broader sci-fi con in the area, something nice and big. I think the trek geeks have a con each year.. the SW geeks must have our revenge.

8. ohitsmagic

ohitsmagic Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    Darth Vader lives in NC?? That just seems really weird! I did a quick search and it looks like he has done some conventions so it wouldn't be out of the question. I think I read something on TFN where David Prowse was sorta ripping on Clones tho. Come to think of it, is Hayden Christensen even tall enough to grow up to be Darth Vader? He does have those raging hormones so maybe he is still growing...

Interesting, I just found this site:
    http://www.daveprowse.com/
    There is no content there yet, but it does have a nice "coming soon" homepage.

9. TK-924

TK-924 Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    I'm not saying that this is where Mr. Prowse lives, but I did find this very interesting. Look at the address, bottom left. Check it out:
    David Prowse fan club

Hope this helps! ;)

10. Entropy

Entropy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Dave Prowse has two residences. One is in London, the other is in Wilson, NC. As to why, I don't know.

I know that some people have speculated that he has (or still does) visit Duke Hospital because of his back problems. But if that's the case, I don't know why he wouldn't live in Durham or one of it's suburbs.

As to a Sci-Fi/SW convention, I too would like to see one locally. I know Mr. Prowse showed up at the Charlotte-based Heroes Comicbook Convention a few years back. Unfortunately I missed it.

If someone wanted to set-up a con in the Triangle, convincing Prowse to attend would be a good place to start. Throw in a couple of writers, a few events, some dealers, and perhaps some other guests who do con's and you would have a convention that I'd attend.

11. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    That would be awesome to have a convention in Raleigh! They always seems to far away.... When I was in NH it seemed other than politics, no one came up that way. Down here, well its a little bigger, I hope to see more :) . I would have been so much fun to go to Celebration II, just to far... We deffinatley need something close.

12. Entropy

May 30, 2002
    Well, since Celebration I was on the west coast, and Celebration II was in the Midwest, there is speculation that Celebration III will be somewhere on the east coast. That would be cool. But it would be nice to have something before then.

13. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Ok, so contacting him through his fanclub website would be stage I. Then if that fails, what do we do? contact Lucasfilm? his agent? what? I don't know. And then there's the cost. Any event entry fee would have to cover his speakers fee. He was here in town a few years back at the Raleigh WalMart and ducked into Games Galore - he signed a Darth Vader CCG card which I've since traded, doggoneit. Gotta pay for them celebs somehow.

14. Entropy

May 30, 2002
    If I knew that I would have organized a convention in Raleigh by now. ;) I'm just suggesting what I would like to see at a local Sci-Fi/Star Wars convention...not that I have the skills, knowledge, time, resources, or experiance to make it happen. Though I wouldn't be opposed to helping out someone who does have the afore mentioned qualities to make a Raleigh convention a reality.

15. Garindan_the_Kubaz

Garindan_the_Kubaz Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2001
    Celebration III in Raleigh would be awesome, but I'm afraid that's not happening. I saw somewhere, maybe even here at TF.N that it was confirmed that Indianapolis will be hosting Celebration III.

16. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Even pulling off a mini-event would take 6 months of planning. Just ask the owners of Foundations Edge in Raleigh or Cerebral Hobbies in Chapel Hill. They do it all the time. One can't do it alone as a fan.. what a project nightmare and lots of money is involved. You have to lock in the location months in advance, line up the hotel rooms, get the retailers on board. The easiest way to begin would be to coattail onto an event that is already established, like a comic-con, or StellarCon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.