main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Peter Mayhew reveals "Obi-Wan lived!" script pages

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BigAl6ft6, Apr 16, 2016.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Pretty much what it sez it is, Peter Mayhew on his twitter account has shown a draft of the script where Obi-Wan made it out alive! (Ben slashes a door in between him and Vader, cuts down a few troopers, Luke comes in with his lightsaber and saves Ben!)

Sounds like a cool bit of action - I love the bit where Chewie is tossing dead troopers out of the Falcon too - although nothing can top Ben's exit. Still, what might have been

https://twitter.com/TheWookieeRoars/status/720117645673119744/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Follow
    [​IMG]
    Peter MayhewVerified account@TheWookieeRoars
    #chewscript 027 Obi-wan lives through his fight with Vader. Check it out. @starwars

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    This has been known for quite some time. I don't get why it's all over the internet suddenly

thejeditraitor likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I know that we knew that and I knew that but I ain't read the script pages of it. Alls I knew was "Ben made it out of the Death Star, hung out at Yavin Base for the rest of the movie"

4. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Thanks for posting those pages. Cool stuff! :cool:

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Correct. The versions online have always been based off the final film where Obi-wan dies.

http://starwarz.com/starkiller/star-wars-the-adventures-of-luke-starkiller-revised-fourth-draft/

http://starwarz.com/starkiller/star-wars-public-version-of-fourth-draft/

This is the first time I've read the draft that was used, which didn't have the dialogue that's in the first link which was before Hyuck and Katz revised things.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Great stuff! Really enjoyed reading it. I must say, I am so glad the script has been changed to what it is now. Some of the dialogue in this version of the script is awful! Great fun to read now though. [face_laugh]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah that final polish to ANH really helped, especially with Ben's death and punching up the dialogue. This and the first draft (also made as "The Star Wars" mini) have a lot of straight-up colourless exposition. I like the idea of seeing Ben deflecting stormtrooper shots and Luke swinging in with a lightsaber to save him, though, that's pretty nifty.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, if Lucas knew where he would take the material, if he hadn't killed Obi-wan then that would have been the way to have him escape. Essentially if Lucas had made the PT first and then the OT.

10. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    It's been around for awhile. Thank you BigAl6ft6 for posting this. There are some people who have never seen it and the two places on the net that had it posted have been down for a number of years.

11. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    I just got the mental image of Luke and Old Ben doing what Qui Gon and young Obi-wan did on the droid control ship in TPM which would have been cool to see.

12. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    These pages are apparently building towards some big announcement from Mayhew. I'm really curious as to what it is.

13. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

Just to clarify, the pages Mayhew posted aren't from the draft that was used for the shoot, they're from the January 1, 1976 Fourth Draft, the date's in the bottom left hand corner. The shooting script was the revised Fourth Draft (March 15, 1976), and is quite different, largely in dialogue, but also has a few details that were completely changed (e.g. the Jabba scene in Docking Bay 94 replaces a confrontation between Han and an Imperial officer named Montross, who was even cast).

The Jan 1 draft has always been available on the Starkiller site here, alongside all the others:
    http://starwarz.com/starkiller/star...ller-as-taken-from-the-journal-of-the-whills/

Although the revised Fourth draft/shooting script did originally include scenes with Obi-Wan surviving, they were rewritten mid-shoot, and to my knowledge, aren't available anywhere. I imagine they're much the same as the ones above, but I'd be curious to see just how similar they were, after the revisions.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Darth_Nub wrote

The shooting script was the revised Fourth Draft (March 15, 1976), and is quite different, largely in dialogue, but also has a few details that were completely changed (e.g. the Jabba scene in Docking Bay 94 replaces a confrontation between Han and an Imperial officer named Montross, who was even cast).

:)

It almost looks you just solved a riddle that's been on my mind for a long time and even compelled me to start a thread, trying to get the answer (which for some unexplained reason I'm now unable to relocate).

It would appear that this Montross character was scheduled to be portrayed by the Cantina character John Mollo identified as "Walrus Man" (in contrast to the action figure of "Ponda Baba"), see images above.

I never understood how a character, wearing an obviously Imperial uniform, ended up to portray Jabba the Hut in the original Marvel Comics. The idea for that had to come from somewhere, possibly a screwup and I think you just provided an important hint.

UPDATE: The Montross-Jabba connection originally went further than just Docking Bay 94: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Montross_(Aquilae)

P.S. According to that Jan 1 draft the Millennium Falcon was a "JX-121 freighter" and not that EU conjectural "YT-1300". :p

Darth_Nub and DarthCricketer like this.
  15. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Lt. Hija - well spotted, I never picked up on the implications of the Imperial outfit of that character. I think you're quite correct, the costume of the Mos Eisley alien and the Marvel use of the same appears to be the result of a stuff-up - most likely miscommunication between various departments using multiple drafts of an already confusing script that kept changing. It's quite possible that the alien's costume (this alien appears most prominently in the longer version of the cantina scene included in the deleted scenes of the Blu-Ray, but is barely glimpsed in the finished film) somehow came about as a result of designs for the Imperial officer Montross prior to scene's replacement.

However, Montross wasn't originally meant to be an alien, and he wasn't to be portrayed by John Mollo - the role was cast, with English actor Bill Bailey (no, not the comedian from Black Books) in the role. IIRC, however, the costume department was eventually instructed to design a 'pirate' outfit for the character, which would suggest that after trying to turn him from an Imperial into a smuggler, GL decided to toss Montross aside altogether and go with crime boss Jabba the Hutt instead.

Basically, a confusing mess, and it's not too surprising that both the costume department and Marvel comics ended up producing some weird catfish-looking alien wearing an Imperial uniform - or that with GL desperately focused upon just completing the film, this inappropriately dressed creature slipped through the cracks.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    First Order officers refer to it as "YT-series".

Sometimes, "EU conjecture" gets canonized, with even movies making nods to it.

17. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Many thanks for clarifying that, I was about to ask whether the actor supposed to play Montross was a known one.

So the way it now looks to me is this:
    1. They had actor Bill Bailey to play the Imperial "harbor master" Montross and had already tailored the red Imperial uniform for him and another guy (there were at least two)
    2. Then the scene got scrapped but they still had two red uniforms they could use
    3. So they used these to dress up the "Walrus Man" (according to costume designer John Mollo's Cantina sketch) aliens in the Cantina and in the Mos Eisley streets (Imperial Merchant Service?)
    4. Somehow ("Montross-Jabba confusion") one of these aliens became Jabba the "Hut" in the Marvel Comics, perhaps based on the image I enclose featurung the outside of Docking Bay 94
    5. And then EU retconned the whole thing as a character called "Mosep Bineed", Jabba's errand boy and "voice" to secure him a place in the pantheon of conjectural EU characters
    [​IMG]

DarthCricketer likes this.