"Peter Pan: Return to Neverland" Jane Darling Military Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by BRYAN_SEECRETS, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. BRYAN_SEECRETS Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey everyone, I want to get a "Peter Pan: Return to Neverland" Jane Darling Military Costume that is worn by Jane and the WWII-era British soldiers during the journey back to Wendy and before she goes to bed and I figured we might as well compile all, our knowledge about this costume here.

The link to Jane Darling's Military Costume:
    http://media.outnow.ch/Movies/Images/2002/peterpan-returntoneverland/movie.ws/19.jpg

We do know that Jane Darling's coat is made up of heavy-duty wool, as like the British soldiers and officers wear during the early days/years of World War II. I do not know which pattern is used for this coat:

Vogue 7792: Girls' coats. Eliminate pleats at waist and extra skirt width on view B for Lucy's train coat. Sizes 4-14
    Vogue 7978: Misses' coats. Fitted, straight coat with princess seams. Add cuffs to double-breasted view C for Lucy's or to single-breasted view D for Susan's
    Vogue 8165: Misses' coats. Princess-seamed A-line coat with length and collar variations
    Vogue 1266: Misses' coats. Double-breasted variation adaptable for Jane Darling's coat
    Burda 8165: Misses' coat. Lucy's Train Coat

Or anything else that is fully adaptable for this coat?

As for the helmet worn by Jane Darling and similarly by British soldiers, how do I make one? Or should I buy one?
  2. Darth_Valmar Jedi Master

star 1
    again ppl we are off subject this is SW ONLY
  3. Stranded in space Jedi Master

star 4
    hmmm someone not being very nice...

Here's my two cents hope it's remotely helpful:

Just out of curiosity who is "we"?

When you say ?I do not know which pattern is used for this coat? you mean something more on the lines of you don?t know which pattern to use and you?d like someone else?s opinion.. if that?s the case then based on the four you presented if you were making this for a child thing Vogue 7792 is a good starting point. If for an adult probably vogue 1266.

Okay a wee bit confused by the Lucy and Susan I?m assuming that you are referencing the Narnia girls? hmmm was someone looking at NarniaWeb.com? Since it?s the same timeframe and such cross referencing the two isn?t a bad idea. Looking at the rest of the list they mention I still stick to my original suggestion.

You might want to check a thrift store or army surplus store to see if you can find a coat that you think comes close and take it apart to figure out pattern shapes and construction.

As for the helmet buying wise try army surplus store. As for making one you could always take the offering plate from church and add the chin strap? okay maybe not the best of ideas but they do have about the right shape?.

Hope that helps a wee bit.
  4. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Thanks Valmar, but talking about other, non-SW costumes in this forum has never been a problem. We're all here to help each other out with making our costumes and props.
  5. BRYAN_SEECRETS Jedi Knight

star 1
    OK, I'll take it as a future reference. Are there any cheaper alternatives to above?
  6. BRYAN_SEECRETS Jedi Knight

star 1

Sorry, I forgot. Here's my update on the costume information and construction that is used for Jane's coat when she's outside her London row house in the 2002 movie "Return To Never Land", in order to make this a better 1940s accuracy which I'm making it.

I think either Vogue 7792 or McCalls 2403 with some adaptation for Lucy Pevensie's are a good starting point if you were making this for a child thing. For adults, I think Vogue 1266 is the best. I'm not assuming that I'm referencing the Narnia girls, instead, I am assuming that I'm referencing the Disney character, the daughter of Wendy Darling, Jane.

I might check a thrift store or army surplus store to see if I can find a coat that you think comes close and take it apart to figure out pattern shapes and construction. This is one of the best ideas anyone come up with. As for the materials used, I think heavy-duty wools (and other similar historical materials) are used.

As for the brodie steel helmet buying, I would try an army surplus store. As for making one, you could always take the offering plate from the church or make a fake one resembling realistically her steel helmet and add the chin strap, and voila. Making a fake one is probably the best of ideas I come up with than making from the offering plate from church that they do have about the right shape.

Any and all insights and suggestions are welcome while research of this costume of greater 40s accuracy is underway!
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.