main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Petition for 'Dark Empire' novelization

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralZaarin, Jul 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Its not that I dislike comics, its just that I think such major events should be put into novel form too.

2. Emiaj

Emiaj Jedi Master star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    We see many of the novels being adapted into comic form (HTTE) and novel adations of games (DF) why not novels fleshing out the comics.

I enjoy both novels and comics of Star Wars and believe that great stories should not be limited to one form.

SoTE was a great idea giving all formats (except film) and allowing greater access to an important prt of the SW continuity.

3. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Ill sign as well. I think a novelization of both DE and Union would be great, especially if MAS were to write the adaption of his own comic series. :)

4. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I love the comics and own almost every story done by Dark Horse. I just think that Dark Empire is one that could be greatly expanded upon and due to its importance I think that a lot could be done in a novel version.

5. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    I'm going with yes - ONLY so that they can remove and clean up all the bits that sucked so hard in the comic series. You know - stuff like the Emperor coming back, completly undermining the drama of Vader's death. STuff like how Fett went from cool bounty hunter to incompiatnt comic relief, or how Luke did the flip-flop lightside/dark side/light side dance. And perhaps they could remove all the superweapons and the Super-Duper Star Destroyer with the Death Star Laser built into the bow. . .

Hmmm, wait a second - that just about covers all the plot points in Dork Empire. Never mind, they'd have to scrap the whole damn thing and work from the ground up.

6. NerdyNathan

NerdyNathan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2001
    Amen, El Kabong! If anything in the Dark Horse line should be Infinities, it's Dark Empire. The idea that the Emperor is resurrected totally screws over the entire movie saga! The whole point of the movies was Anakin's redemption by killing the Emperor, and that's just thrown out the window.

Unfortunatly, half-way decent novels (such as the Jedi Academy trilogy) reference back to this comic series. I hope LFL reveals either that this "clone of the Emperor" was either an imposter, or that the series never took place.

7. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I'll sign!

8. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I liked the fact that hardcore novel fans had to try comics to read an important story. Many fans don't realize how good some of the comics are.

But, I still think that Dark Empire could use some expansion, & see here thats it's not too late.

Who would be in favor of my suggested I, Jedi Prequel novel? It would be about Corran's adventures during that time period.

9. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I enjoyed I, Jedi so I'd be up for a prequel of sorts. I'm just really interested in what all the other Jedi are doing during Dark Empire, like Mara, Kyle Katarn (assuming of course that he still exists in the continuity) and Corran. It'd be fun to see Corran disagree with Luke again, although I'm not sure they could actually have an encounter this time around.

10. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    i also agree with El Kabong......it isn't worth the effort of moving to novel form...it would just be another one of the KJA superweapon book(s)...whlie some of those aren't bad...why add another?...the plot was thin and unless completely rehauled to the point of contradicting the original storyline wouldn't work for a novel...and even if not reworked it would probobly, just be the sheer likelyness of an editor mistake, would contradict the comic in at least one minor way, maybe several larger ways...and who needs that sort of canonish debate?...

While i agree that the plot was thin and overly packed with superweapons, i do not agree with those that say that the emperor's ressurection cancels vaders sacrifice......he died...the empire largely died with him...and vader returned to the light side...the fact that he reapeared later means nothing in terms of vader's actions......vader acted to save his son...and he succeded...he wasn't thinking about galactic repurcsions...he was just trying to save his son...a noble action that redemed him...hence he reverted...just because the emperor returns doesn't make vader suddenly a dark sider again or make luke any less alive...

11. Wildwookiee

Wildwookiee Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2001
    I'm up for it...and someone mentioned that there was DF novelizations...where is that. I want to have a FULL leingh novel on the games, comics, stories in the roleplaying games and many other sub-plots.

12. Wampa_Joe

Wampa_Joe Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2001
    I'd love to see it. Since I'm only focusing on the books, and not the comic books, it would certainly be easier on me, plus it's such a major event in the EU, it would be beneficial to see all the additional info only a novel can provide.

13. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    How about an anthology of short stories set around the events in DE? There could be one about the Liberator's demise, one from the Rogues viewpoint, one from Carnor Jax's, one from Luke, one from the Emperor, etc.

As for a novelisation - I'll sign. As long as they do it right.

14. CyYunga

CyYunga Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2001
    I sign

It gets kind of annoying in the books when the talk about Luke on the dark side and the clones of Palpitine and don't know what they are talking about. Call me cheap, but the comic's price are rip offs and they don't give as much as books do. If Dark Empire was published as a book I would buy it.

15. JediWendy

JediWendy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2001
    I think the events of Dark Empire should have been left out of the novels. Anderson should never have brought the storyline into the books because the story really makes no sense. The Emperor fell into the reactor shaft. When did he have time to merge his essence into a faraway clone? Dead characters should never be brought back to life.

Why would Luke Skywalker, who was willing to sacrifice his life twice rather than join the Darkside before he became a Jedi, give himself up to darkness after being a Jedi Knight for a long time, especially for no reason at all? It's not logical and it's a bad idea to turn a hero into a villain.

If Anakin Skywalker was supposed to be the chosen one who brought balance to the Force by ridding the galaxy of the Emperor in ROTJ, this is negated in Dark Empire, where it is Luke, Leia, and unborn Anakin who cause the Emperor to be destroyed.

Why is Leia a powerful Jedi in DE and not a Jedi at all in VP?

There are just too many problematic things about DE. As far as I'm concerned as someone suggested, DE never happened; it's just an Infinities comic.

If DE is ever made into a novel, I would like it to be changed completely, with Luke never falling to the Darkside and with the cloned emperor having existed before the death of the real one. I'd also like it to be told in first person, like I, JEDI, but from Luke Skywalker's point of view.

16. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    ok, yes it was the same spirit as the emperor in rotj. Palpy hopped bodies from endor into his most Loyal hand on planet kaal, Jeng Droga.

Jeng then took palpy to byss, were Sate pestadge supplied a new clone for him.

In anycase palpy took a clone earlier on in the Star Wars missions series:Vader's return, which was sometime between ANH and ESB.

The Adventure journals in the newsbroadcasts says palpy had been journeying to the planet byss during the years of the empire on a steady course for some uknown reason.

The DE sourcebook, flat out says, " the same palpatine having survived his death at endor..." Plus goes into alot more detail which explains that palpy was working behind the scenes manipulating the warlords, including thrawn himself. Thrawn died because the emperor wished it to be so.

If people think things happen in that series for no reason at all, I reall reccomend the DE Audio Drama's which add alot more depth and knowledge of what was going on. I also recommend the source book since it too goes into the detail of what Luke was up too.

By the way he was Under Palpy's controle and that was why he foolhardely ran into Palpy's grasp. You'll see this in the audio drama's.

17. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I was immensely disappointed when I found out that there was no novelisation of Dark Empire. I hope to heck they do novelise it, and my only request is that Barbara Hambly *not* be allowed anywhere near the story. :)

Comics are not a good idea in a house with destructive kids, and the art calibre for everything except the X-Wing books, I have found very lacking. So, yes, a novelisation would be a very good thing for those of us who can't or ought not have comics in the house. :)

*Derisa*

18. jastermereel

Aug 19, 1998
    So many people seem to be demanding this noveliazation but simultaniously demnading that the story be drematicaly changed...First of all...if you don't like the story why do you want it novelized and expanded upon...and Second, it is already imbeded deeply into the EU, through numerous refrences to events and character developement that happned in there, esspecialy luke's force flip-flop...changing such key parts of the story, not only fundementaly changes DE (DE, DEII, and EE) but also much of the EU as a whole, including most of Luke's motivation in NJO...also there is no need to change the genuineness of the clone...Vader did what he was there to do, his sacrifice isn't denied him as he saved Luke at the cost of his own life, and he did indeed restore balance because the emperor was out of the picture completely for several years and upon his reappearance was significantly weakened and not the threat to the galaxy he was in years past nor was he as dominant in the force as he was since the dark side had only him and a few mild stoodges while the light side had numerous jedi on its side thereby re-tipping the scales in favor of good...

As for the idea of branding it infinities because you don't like it...ugh...people...it contains many key events from the EU, from the emperor, to ossus(the knowledge gained there allowed the jedi accademy to exist!), to Luke's dark side dab0elings (his NJO character motivation). The Dark Empire Trio contains much that is refrenced througout all of EU and to belitle it to Infinities status would do irreprable harm to the whole of the EU, the NJO esspecialy......while not great (and far from flawless with its share of minor errors in refrence to the EU published AFTER it such as leia's ability level), it is far from the worst of EU, or even the worst of EU comics, and is a keystone in the GFFA's story...it can no more be removed and branded infinities than can be The Thrawn Trilogy or The Jedi Accademy Trilogy...

And for those who just don't like comics but what to know the story anyway......you have two options, A. Timelines and other summaries to fill in the gaps left between the numerous refrences in the books, or B. Go buy/rent the audio books...apparently, although i for one have not tried them, they are excelent and fill in the story rather well as has been requested in this topic, and also you need not dirty your hands with such childish things as stories told with pictures as well as words...

For all the people that have struck out against the fan made Phantom Edit, and the minor plot points it claims to have cleaned up, it seems that few here have any reservations about completly changing the story of DE...

P.S. Doesn't anyone else think that the end of Moby Dick makes absolutely no sence? I mean no one could be so absorbed in such a task to die for it like he did...it makes no sence and belitiles literature with its absurdity...i for one say that the original be labeled Infinities (applying the term and the concept to literature everwhere, not just Star Wars) and be rewriten to have him sail home at the end after realizing the foolishness of his ways...

P.P.S. _Derisa_Ollamhin_...i am curious why it is that you said: "Comics are not a good idea in a house with destructive kids"......is it for the safety of the comics or an opinion stated in refrence to the horribly over used, inadequitly supported, umbrella theory about kids being saturated by and desensitized to violence in the media and repeating such acts without regard for human life?...this is by no means meant as a judgement upon yourself but merely a question with some opinion thrown in, with no offence meant towards yourself...

19. Anakin_Skywalker_20

Anakin_Skywalker_20 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2001
    They won't ever make a novel. Do you wanna know why? Because it defeats the whole purpose of the movies.

Luke redeems Anakin and then Anakin kills Palpatine, no clones no nothing. If Palpatine was resurrected than Anakin Skywalker would be ressurected too.

"....Where Anakin's offspring redeem him and allow him to bring balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and gettingrid of evil in the universe."-- George Lucas(latest trilogy release)

Say anything you want. But what George says and whatever it says in his movies is the reality of Star Wars

20. jastermereel

Aug 19, 1998
    Anakin_Skywalker_20...a few questions...

First of all...Why would Anakin need to be ressurected also?

Second...Regardless of what Lucas said...Regardless of the EU-existence(since he does over rule that in this case) of sith post Endor...there was still evil after ROTJ...throwing ol'e prune butt down the shaft didn't rid the universe of evil...there was still an imperial fleet and even if THAT is discounted there was plenty of non-military evil in the GFFA, no matter what Lucas said...

i still don't see the problem with the Clone negating anakins sacrifice...he saved the day...he saved the galaxy...he killed the emperor......DE was his thrashing about in a prolonged death throw...he was going to die and was in denial...he didn't have a chance of re-establishing power and he knew this whether he admited it to himself or not......he was dead.........Vader/Anakin's sacrifice was not in vein...

21. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Trolls, I used to have one. It had pink hair. Then I poured kerosene on it and lit a match. It was fun.

22. Wildwookiee

Wildwookiee Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2001
    If palpy "jumped" into the body of another person, then why did he retain his force powers, and Callista lost them in COTJ?

23. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Because Calista had blinded herself to the light. She had done evil act by tranferring her spirit, and taking over anothers body, see TOTJ companion. This was hinted that she could access the darkside in Darksaber.

24. JediSenshi

JediSenshi Jedi Master

Oct 19, 2001
    I too would love to sign the petition. I believe doing a novelization of the Dark Empire comics would answer some questions and explainations that were not cleared up in either the audio or the text at the back of the DE books.

25. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    Oh, hell yeah! This is a pivotal peice of EU we're talking about, and although it was great like it was, I think a novel is what we need to get the insight that it deserves! Sign!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.