main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Petition for DHC to present the Marvel reprints IN COLOR

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Oct 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    According to Dave Land over in the Who want Marvel reprinted thread, the reprints have been approved. They will be released in four TPB volums in Q3 and Q4 2002. And they will be, as is most cost-effective, IN BLACK AND WHITE.

I personally will not buy them if reprinted in B&W. I will continue as I have been, hunting down originals, even if they are overpriced, because I am not willing to pay for a reprint of an old product that has been downgraded from its original COLOR to Black and White.

Sign here if you wish these TPBs to be in their original color. And please, don't start going on about Special Editions...

::Mastadge signs::

2. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    ::princess of Naboo signs::

3. David_Land

David_Land Dark Horse Comics Editor star 1 VIP

Oct 5, 2001
    I hear ya but it was difficult enough getting this approved in black and white. Color would kill the project altogether.

So, it's either black and white or not at all. Wish it was different but them's the facts.

Sorry,
    --Dave

PS - On the upside, you could always get yourself one of those big boxes of Crayolas and color 'em yourself! Maybe...? Just a suggestion.

4. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    :sighs:

Aaargh! I don't understand LFL at all!

5. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, I won't be buying them, I'm fine with my marvel run that I just bought. Which all happen to be in color.

6. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Hum... I shouldn't laugh at Dave Land's PS... But I can't help. SO I laugh : [face_laugh]

But I don't really understand the issue. Originally, where the Marvels in B&W or in Color ? If they were in color, then yes, I think it's sad to make them in B&W...

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes, they were originally in color.

8. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Yeah they were in color. And dont get me wrong, I really appreciate Dave for making the effort to reprint them at all, but it looks to me like a bad business move to print them in b+w. You'll lose all the folks who already have them in color. Where's the draw now?

9. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Yes, I doubt I'll bother to buy them if reprinted in Black & White. Marvel is now issuing nostalgic reprints of the GI Joe and Transformers series in color TPBs. Apparently Marvel doesn't have a problem with color reprinting their own material.

I think its just a big cop-out. I remember DC a year or two ago said color reprints of "Crisis on Infinite Earths" would only be hard covers so they could cover the costs of the color reprint, but about 6 months later they miraculously turned the collection into a TPB.

If Marvel can do color reprints cost-effectively, maybe Dark Horse should contract the job to them.

I personally think the DHC bureacracy is full of cr@p. They're probably just too cheap or lazy to put a staff working on the color reprints. If the TPB's cost an extra $5-10 for the colored version, people will buy them.

As far as I could tell everyone interested in the reprints strongly wanted color reprints. Maybe they should have tested to see if there was interest in black and white reprints.

10. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    So what are they basically gonna do ? Just take the original color pages, convert them to B&W and print them, just to spare some ink ?

11. Cowboy_Jedi

Cowboy_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    LFL doesn't care if a few people don't buy them, because there are hundreds of EU fans that still will buy them. LFL doesn't care about any of you, they only care when they can make money off you, as long as you guys buy the things they sell, then their mission is complete and they could care-less whether a few people are upset or not, because you already spent money on it.

~Cowboy

12. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    EU people will buy them, color or not.

More would probably buy them if in color.

All the costs of printing are pushed onto the customer anyway, so I would think there's more profit to be had with color reprints.

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Buy in color. I recommend it. (where I bought 90% of my copies.)

14. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I actually have a full set of the original 110 + 4 ROTJ Marvel issues. I really wanted to get the TPBs though, so I could read them instead of potentially inflicting damage on a valuable comic book collection by reading the originals.

Besides, DH has already reprinted the ANH, TESB, and ROTJ issues in color (16 out of 114). Why is it so different now?

The TPBs are larger volumes, but as we all know ,size matters not.

15. Melisande

Melisande Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2001
    I'm dissapointed, but I certainly don't blame David. I think it's great that he got a green light on the project at all, and for those who don't have these stories already, I would still recomend picking them up. They'll be worth the effort, even in B & W. However, for those of us who already have them all, there's no longer an incentive to pick them up. I had planned on getting them all, just to have nice compliations of the series, but if they'll be of a lower quality than the originals, I'll have to pass. If there's any way of convincing DH's management to revise their position on this, I'm all for it, but it's looking fairly dubious. I do think people would be willing to pay more for color reprints though.

16. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I guess I have been a little heated in my comments, but you're right, we shouldn't blame Dave Land. The higher-ups at DH can take the blame.

If these TPBs reprint 110 issues in 4 books, they're going to be big and expensive no matter what. Dark Horse is doing to Star Wars what Marvel is doing with their "Essential" line. Most fans I think would rather see the Essential TPBs in color too, even at a greater cost. Dark Horse should start off on the right foot.

One major fear I have is that the DH management isn't doing color right now just to be evil. They could put out the black and white now, wait a year or 2, and then put the colored editions out. If I'd bought the B&W now and a year or 2 later they put out color, I'd want someone's head!

17. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Well, this is more than I could ask for. B&W is fine with me. It may even look better than the weird colors they used back then.

And no more purple Yoda. ;)

18. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    The colors weren't that weird back then. they look like normal colors to me.(Though stuff in forground that isn't important to the story, tends to be monochrome one color(such as the marvel bothan being blue in the foreground))

19. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Darn. No color. Oh well, we can't complain too much. At least we're getting something. :)

20. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Colour damn it!

(Shaking fist hillbilly style!)

What would happen Dave, if they were colour and glossy, and started outselling the regular Dark Horse Star Wars comic series... :)

21. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    You spelled Color wrong, Gath.

22. Muke_Skywalker

Muke_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2000
    I'm signing not that it'll do any good.

[Edit] I just read Dave Lands remarks. Well I was right. Doesnt matter, I'd rather read them in B&W than not at all.

23. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    If these TPBs reprint 110 issues in 4 books, they're going to be big and expensive no matter what.

Not so. Marvel's been doing a series of TPBs -- Essential Conan, Essentail X-men, etc...where they reprint the first 25 issues of the series in B&W and those are 15-20 dollars a piece, but they're on pretty cheap paper. Of course, I don't know if they were originally in B&W, but they aren't that expensive.

24. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    They weren't originally in B+W.

I'm sure when Episode II comes out, the draw for star wars merchandise will be huge. Why not go all out with these books?

25. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Are you picking a fight DL?! :)

YOU spelt coloUr wrong! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.