main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Petition to have George Lucas direct Episode IX gaining some attention

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Lantern, Jan 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthScubbles

DarthScubbles Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2004
    Oh god no

Blazer-Smith and AmySolo like this.
  2. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    As much as I disliked TFA and as much as I hate JJ , this is not a good idea . It's like going back to an old gf who cheated on you then marrying her haha.

3. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    The only involvement of George in Episode IX that would make any sense at all for everyone involved (Disney, Lucasfilm, Fans, Critics) is if George: 1) Co-wrote the story (not screenplay), 2) Executive Produced, 3) Helped shape the design of planets/spaceships, creatures, etc. That's it. There's no way he would even agree to be involved if offered unless he could do all those things. There's no way he would direct a movie that he did write or at least create the story for, especially not the third movie in a trilogy that came after two previous films that did away with his vision for how the trilogy should go. Here's an odd comparison but it works: In Woody Allen's 40+ movies, he's never directed a movie he didn't write the script for (he's acted in a few, but not directed).

4. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I think George deserves a whole trilogy. He ought to be able to explore gastrointestinal problems in the GFFA. It would be new (sort of) and avoid the unnecessary rehashing of Jedi and laser swords.

5. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Using memes as an indicator for a movie's inspirational success? You've gotta be kidding me.. :p

Even the most crappy TV series recieves memes, memes are no guarantee for anything.

SlashMan and Evening Star like this.
  6. akaydia

akaydia Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 25, 2015
    I'm happy with Rian Johnson directing. Not so much with Colin Trevorrow. If I had a choice between Colin and George Lucas, I would go with George.

IriomoteYamanexu likes this.
  7. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Disney Executive: we need someone to control our $200m finale investment. Quick, what does Twitter think we should do...

Seeher and AmySolo like this.
  8. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    I'm a fan of TPM but it's also a direct ripoff of ANH in many ways too:

-A Skywalker (with great force powers) is plucked off Tatooine by an older Jedi.

-That older Jedi dies in the movie.

-The Skywalker kid blows up the Trade Federation ship that controls the droids to save the people of Naboo for the time being.

-They have a parade at the end for the Protagonists and his friends, yet there is a sequel cause the bad guy is still alive.

Lucas even said that the trilogies are supposed to rhyme in that the same scenes play out with Anakin & Luke. Now if you are calling out Lucas for rhyming the the PT with the OT, the same way you're calling out TFA for rhyming TPM & ANH then you're atleast being consistent. But if you are only calling out TFA, then you're forgetting Lucas pretty much did the same thing with the PT, especially TPM.

Again, I'm cool with it cause it works for me. It's the characters that carry SW and each of their arcs (Anakin, Luke, and Rey) were a different journey, as the macro story is the backround music.

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    why do they want to ruin this trilogy, he already ruined the last one.

Dra--- likes this.
  10. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006

Some people were raised on the PT era and are expecting that type of story telling. Some people hate JJ, and Trevs work and think Lucas would do better. Others just feel that for good or ill, without Lucas it's not Star Wars. Personally I don't agree with any of their positions but that appears to be where some of them are coming from.

For myself, I grew up OT, and some of my favorite SW tales had little direct guidance or influence from Lucas. Knights of the Old Republic, The Thrawn Trilogy, Dawn of the Jedi, The X-Wing Novels, The Dark Forces series, Star Wars: Legacy, The Tie Fighter game and so on. Thus my perspective is that Lucas is not needed to tell a really good story set in the Star Wars Universe.

11. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    He created it and breathed life into it. Then he let it go. As Lucas himself acknowledged, to give it up completely he had to distance himself from it completely. It's time for the fanbase to move on.

TX-20, HanSolo29 , AmySolo and 2 others like this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If the movie was as unimaginative as you were saying, why are the memes so good?

13. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    This is a joke right?

Sent from my brain using thumbs.

SlashMan likes this.
  14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

oh i agree the old Lucas was great, it helped that other people directed his early films. But i have not beeen impressed by him since ROTJ

15. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Exactly. The PT was full of "homage" to the OT.

16. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    The people who compare TPM's nods to the OT with TFA's far more obvious "in your face" homages to the OT.... I think you're just constantly looking for new ways to reply any criticism against TFA.

When TPM came out, did fans and critics call it a rip-off of ANH? Have you guys even considered the fact WHY fans and critics are calling TFA a rip-off of ANH?

17. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Sure. Ignorance.

JK, but seriously, that's pretty off topic for this thread. ^^

18. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    Eww, no thanks. GL lost his touch.

19. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Next up: A petition to get Mel Gibson back as Max Rockatansky.
    Following: Lynda Carter as the big screen Wonder Woman.
    And Later: Richard Donner back for Superman 7.

Dewback, AmySolo and TX-20 like this.
  20. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Now lets be fair here and not go overboard. George Lucas has directed 6 films.

Two of those films are considered American film classics and both garnered Academy Award nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Supporting Actor/Actress and Best Writing.

It's nearly unheard of for a director to have such a small resume, yet have 1/3 of the films he's made have significant cultural impact, critical acclaim, Oscar recognition, public embrace, and box office domination.

Beyond those, the only films Lucas has directed that got overall mixed-to-negative critical acclaim where two of the prequel films. Revenge of the Sith actually was far from panned in 2005, THX has garnered strong critical praise over time, and the other two need no further defense.

George has relinquished his creative control over Star Wars; many people feel the franchise is the better for it. Regardless, the narrative that George is some failed director is absolutely baseless. You would be hard pressed to name other major motion picture directors who've made such an impact as a director-writer, with such a limited resume.

21. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Please no... Lucas doesn't have it in him anymore.

22. lord ren

lord ren Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2016
    many critics did call TPM a ripoff...in fact i remember my friends saying that the new hope elements destroyed the film

"padme was a poor attempt at a female character whose only purpose in the series was to look pretty...and die" my friend andrew said

"jake loyd is not mark hamill even at his worst...and tatoowine being anakins homeworld made an already weak point of the original trilogy even worse(luke keeping his last name)" my friend joey said

"i love the PT, but obi wan and anakin and palpatine were pretty much the meat and potatoes of a story that needed more than those three" my friend troy tello

"i prefer a insecure villian over any george lucas written villian post palpatine" my own mom said

THIS IS A REPLY TO A POSTOR ABOVE AND NOT MEANT TO DERAIL THE THREAD

23. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    As much as I'd like to see it, George doesn't want to. Simple as that. Forcing him back into the director's chair wouldn't bring out the best product. Besides, I don't know how much you'd have to pay him to make that happen.

We have the six film saga and I'm happy with that. Additional films are a good idea with new talent, but they're mostly "what if?" stories to me. Whenever there was a bad EU story, I just ignored it and didn't let it hinder my enjoyment of the saga. So why should films be any different?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. lord ren

lord ren Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2016
    i would argue that george is NOT a good ideas man...because the prophecy...anakins characterization...and even the clone army...were fundamentally terrible ideas that destroyed the franchise

25. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    A Chorus of Disapproval, Can this be locked? It looks like it's 90-99% against. Just don't see the point in another "let's bash the PT" thread.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.