main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Petition to put the Star Wars Kid in E3

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by TK-4752, Jul 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK-4752

TK-4752 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 20, 2002
  2. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    I hate to be the @$$ of the bunch but I don't think that kid deserves to be in ep3. Why, just because he got humiliated? Sorry, but anyone in the PFF, RMFF, SDSWS, or any other fan force have just as much of a right to be in that movie as that kid.

3. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    I say once we all get our private dorkiness spread across the world, then we're as eligible as that kid. Until then, I hope he gets a cameo!

Star Wars Kid RULES!

I mean, we're not talking humiliation in front of the school, or in front of your town, we're talking HUMILIATION ACROSS THE WORLD. Complete strangers laughing at your innosence in as many languages as you can think of. People making fun of you on forums and in chat rooms and at parties. This isn't some trivial humiliation. Can you imagine what that must feel like? I mean, his family won't even divulge his last name for his own protection, and it's my guess that his "friends" who uploaded it to the net are "off the team".

I say, if anyone deserves an honest second or two of immortalized fame that isn't produced at the expense of your dignity, it's this kid.

4. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Yes, even though his fame was completely unintentional, not too mention how embarassed he was, well...he just deserves to be there. If I had to choose a martyr for my religion, it would be...

STAR WARS KID!

5. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Wenchy...yeah, really. If GL can put some N'Sync punks in a half-second shot for his daughter, the least he can do is put STAR WARS KID in a half-second shot for us!

6. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    [face_laugh] TK-4752 have I told you lately how cool you are? [face_laugh]

7. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Don't worry MexChewie You are not alone. What kind of a lesson are we teaching by making this kid into some kind of poster child for humilation and the benefits it brings? Did you get a bunch of free stuff when someone tripped you in the cafeteria at school and made everyone laugh at you? Did anyone send you a letter apologizing for being called a nerd in front of the class? Do you get to be in a movie just because a whole line of people saw you reinact a scene from one in mall w/ your Mom?

No, we dealt with the emotions and moved on, becoming stronger more productive members of society. This kid is going to turn into the world's biggest weeney and I, for one, am not going to be a party to it. :p

8. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    *sigh*

I'm pretty sure we all have our own horror stories. I'm pretty sure our geek and nerd scores are testaments to that.

The way I see, the damage has been done. What Ghyslain's friends did wasn't just bad...or horrible...it was something SO BAD and HORRIBLE and it can't even be named.

The petition isn't to MAKE them put Ghyslain in -- it's to offer him the choice. It's all up to him. Really, it's the least anyone can do for him. They took up a donation for him to get him a MR lightsaber and the last I checked the donations were in the THOUSANDS of dollars. I know I donated. I highly doubt he'd even accept an offer for a cameo apperance -- if I were him, I'd lay low, lose some weight, change my hair color, my name, move out of the country, and hope nobody found out who I was.

But still...through my experiences, part of me would welcome it and I'd be all for it. GL doesn't listen to anyone -- there was a petition to keep N'Sync OUT of E2, but he didn't listen. If he listens to this...well...he might make the offer. It's all up to Ghyslain, really. He's become a celebrity nonetheless, and my inner geek still salutes him and I'd still bow my head in honor if I met him just for being able to live through all this.

Edited...had a double-negative in addition to ZOO's post and it sounded funny.

9. wardenx

wardenx Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    As if Lucas isn't doing enough to take away from the quality of the SW movies by adding stupid little goofy characters that detract from the story line and dumb the flicks down for the kids, we have to add the Star Wars Kid to the mix? I hope Lucas flat out says NO!!!!!

10. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Sorry, but I know of 40+ kids at a homeless shelter right now that deserve my time, attention and whatever I can spare for them a heck of a lot more than a privileged high school kid with a roof over his head, food on the table and a parent to care for him.

11. wardenx

Apr 23, 2003
    Amen , ZOO ;)

12. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    I still say it is a chance to show this kid that some people give a crap that he was humiliated world-wide.

Sure we all sucked up our petty humilations as kids, but that is clearly not on the same level that this kid was humiliated. By creating a petition for this kid we're not send the message that if you get humiliated on the everyday scale that you get special treatment. What we're saying is that if your screwed up friends make and @$$ out of you WORLDWIDE, we want to make it up to you. The humiliation you all are talking about is limited to a small social sphere and is not on the scale this kid experienced. I say that IS something worth trying to redeem. What so wrong with someone saying, "Look Ghyslain, we are sorry you were made fun of in front of the ENTIRE WORLD."

It really is ok to offer some people a little something extra when their circumstance is so bad you can't possibly relate to it.

Besides, no one can FORCE Lucas to put this kid in the movie. It is simply a gesture of support for a kid who got treated like dirt in countries all over the world. I mean hey, do we really think Lucas will do it? NO, but IF he does, that's just cool.

13. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    I think the iPod, the laptop and the lightsaber was more than enough to show this kid that people feel sorry for him. Sorry, I just can't contribute to this victim mentality that is sweeping the world right now.

14. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    It isn't so much that he was humiliated world wide that started the suggestion that he should be given a cameo in E3, but the fact that NO ONE ELSE who has ever been filmed making an @$$ of themselves with a lightsaber has put it on the web.

Zoo, get a camera, I'll put on the Amidala dress, get my trophy and have a fight with ANYONE and their lightsaber. See if THAT gers ME a cameo in E3. Heck, I'll fight a lightsaber duel in a bikini that says 'Pick Me Mr Lucas' and then later TURN DOWN the cameo spot to show the kid that 'just because you made a public spectacle of yourself doesn't mean that you deserve immortality.'

There are so many more note worthy deeds or spectacles that would have a higher worth than a kid and his toy.

15. wardenx

Apr 23, 2003
    My Dark Queen: I think your sentiment is noble and true, but the application would be more than the kid deserves. What point would it serve the movies for him to be in there. If Lucas wants to make a generous recompense to the kid, then let him do so in a way that doesn't affect the movies. We only have one more and I'm already worried that it's going to suck because Lucas is doing it. LOL Have Lucas go public with his feelings that the kid was unjustly treated or something and then offer the kids a job if he's qualified. That's something real world applicable. Putting him in the movie would serve nothing but ego, and that's never a worthy cause.

16. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Well Wenchie...they don't appear to have the same views. They are obviously created of some other subspecies of geek than ourselves, and have widely different beliefs than we do. Oh well.

I guess that means today is Tuesday.

17. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    Well as a Reformed-Hedonist, I have to say that increasing the amount of joy that exists in the world is never bad. Making one kid, no matter his financial circumstances, feel better about himself is worth it to me.

Just like you Zoo, I try my best in whatever way I can to serve the underprivelaged, to try to brighten even a second of their lives. But being underprivelaged doesn't just mean you're poor and living in a shelter. Even kids with food in their tummies and a roof over their heads are often sad and mistreated and lonely. Not all the food or toys in the world can make them feel better, BUT a word, a gesture can.

I guess what I'm saying is who cares what his circumstances are. He still got hurt and sure, he got some stuff from some people, but I think the simple gesture of the petition is more meaningful.

So, I suppose I'll just respectfully agree to disagree with you and WardenX on this one.

Love you guys! [face_love] I just realized how much I enjoy these little debates with people I care about. Makes me think a lot and I like that. :D

OH, and btw FenigDurak this kid didn't put the video on the net himself. He never intended it to be a public spectacle. His "friends" did it without his permission and when people went looking for him, he didn't come forward, those same "friends" did and forced him into the spotlight. SOME FRIENDS EH?

18. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Actually, Wenchie, I think they're more concerned about him being exploited.

While I can see that point of view, I personally see it as 1) one final retribution that would make it uber-cool to be him, and 2) one final "Neener neener!" to his "friends" that posted him on the net.

As for a second-long cameo appearance that would "ruin" E3, that can be debated til we're all dead. Besides, I'm one of those that doesn't even claim the prequels as "Star Wars" -- they're just "prequels"...blech. :p Star Wars ain't Star Wars unless it's got Stormtroopers and Darth Vader! :D

19. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    Who's more concerned about him being exploited? I don't follow you on that one...please esplain.

20. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    I mean, he's already been dragged through the mud -- I've seen some BAD remixes of the SWK video. "Bad" as in just plain mean. Why bring him out in the open and say, "Hey look! It's the SWK cameo! Look everyone! Laugh! What him throw Obi-Wan his lightsaber!"

Stuff like that.

He was exploited first by his friends, and then by the web site that originally made it popular. While some people would freely exploit themselves for the same chance (be right there with a vidcam, FD! :D ), his was unintentional and makes it that much more inhumane.

But being a somewhat-almost-reformed Hedonist myself, I say he's gone this far already -- why not help him make those few extra steps if he's willing? The Machiavellian in me says not to exploit other any more than I'd exploit myself -- why any less, if they're willing? :D

21. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    so far the only real argument against him being in it is "why should HE get it and not ME??"

Are you gonna sit here and cry because GL's kid was in a short flash? Are you gonna whine because the fx guys gave themselves cameos? I sure hope not.

Don't you wish that when you got tripped in the cafeteria and laughed at, someone had come and helped you up and carried your tray to the trash for you? Wouldn't that have made you feel better? If you're bitter for being a nerd and getting hell for it, that's fine. But that doesn't mean that someone can't give this kid a break.

You know what I did in grade school and middle school? I got the crap stomped out of me by a bunch of jerks. You know what jerks I grew up to be the same size as in middle and high school? Do you know what I did? I stood up for all the other kids who were getting the crap stomped out of them. You think I'm full of crap b/c it sounds to fairy tale, I know, but I don't care. I saw the freshman getting picked on, I saw the quiet art kid getting made pushed around. I walked up, started talking to them or asked whoever was pushing them around what their problem is. I never got in a real fight in high school from this (never had to), and I made that kids day. And I felt damn good about it afterwards. Did I give a crap that nobody stood up for me when I was getting my butt handed to me? Yeah, it bothered me a little. But I think about how happy it would have made me if someone had, and THAT'S what I wanted to do for the other people.

So if this kid getting a cameo makes him feel better after all of that, I'm all for it. I don't give a flying leap if nobody got me a cameo because I was made fun of for being a star wars nerd.

Keep in mind this is coming from the guy whose ultimate dream is to be an actor or director who would love nothing more than an appearance in 1 frame of a Star Wars movie. And if I got it, I'd give it up to this kid.

22. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    yea, it makes me wonder, did anyone consult him? did they ask him if he wanted this? or did someone arbitrarily decide to push him back into the spotlight.

IMO, if i were humiliated worldwide, i would want it to just blow over, and in time it would dissapear. i don't think getting a cameo in ep. III would be condusive to that, but then, thats just my opinion... :)

23. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    *shrug*

I wouldn't mind biting my thumb at all the goons who made fun of me ;)

24. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    My main problem w/ the whole thing is not that I didn't get rewarded for the crappy stuff that happened to me, but that no one should. These are the trivialities of life.

JD-If what had happened to you had been different, would you have still wanted to do the things you did because of it? Probably not. You stood up for those kids because of it, not because someone stood up for you. You learned something from that horrible experience and it made you a better person. What will this kid learn from this experience? Nothing quite so noble, I can assure you.

I have nothing against the kid, but at the same time, I feel that time and resources are better spent elsewhere. He's had more than his 15 minutes (a laptop, iPod and lightsaber), so let him fade away with whatever lesson has been learned (not that I think it was a good one) and spend that time, energy and resources on people who really need the help.

EDIT: Oh, and if you don't want everyone to know about your geek tendencies, you don't exhibit them in a Video Production class in your high school... It's a good bet that the whole world will know about it before lunch is even over :p

25. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ALL ARE DEBATING THIS!

This is like a milk toast version of the flipping war room!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.