Petition to the Administrators-Sign here please

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Nov 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    I have had it up to hear with these stupid canon debates that are ruining every single thread that I'm participating in. While it was amusing enough at first trying to work out all the continuity errors and themes of the Books vs. the Themes of the Movies (and very entertaining) now it has become a inane purile (I don't use purile very often) adolescent case of "he said vs. she said" with the same Basher vs. Gusher type feel that plagued the Phantom Menace forum.

Given that this is the literature forum and by defination everything written inside Star Wars literature is Expanded Universe (though some might say the m...no not getting into that) I make this petition to the list administrators that any particular post or topic attempting to discuss the cannonical-ness of the EU be moved to the miscellaneous-ness of Star Wars...

This is a fictional universe and while in the Catholic Church (my own denomination) determining the ultime one true truth of God may be slightly important as is maintaining an official policy-the Star Wars universe is a *FICTIONAL* universe and determining while determining whether George Lucas's new movies will effect the EU it doesn't matter particularly beyond that what the people at LFL consider their personal star wars timeline...

and that's really what this debate is about.

Thank you.
  2. chissdude10 Jedi Youngling

star 5
  3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I don't much like these canon debates, either. It has been clearly stated that everything except Infinities is canon, yet certain close-minded individuals refuse to believe that.
  4. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    [tempted to log in under a sock and start debating with the postatron]
  5. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
  6. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    Bib, no offense I've posted enough to the Vision thread which unfortunately quickly degenerated into the subject at it's next to worst (the worst was the Prophecy of the One and Emperor) but who cares?

LFL again could say that Luke is a homosexual and married to Chewie in the next three movies that Lucas is making when he finally loses his mind but he's still married to mara in the books.

Now let me sign my own petition.

BOOYAKA
  7. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I gotta say, you are right.
  8. MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, what a great idea. I sign your petition and get a post closer to the next star ;)
  9. darthparth Jedi Master

star 3
    I think you're right about one thing you don't use the word often enough, my friend, because the word is puerile
  10. Kier_Nimmion Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Yo, I'm in, I have had it as well. However, shutting down a thread(s) is not the answer, It's the reader's choice as to whether they should post replies to said threads. So be your own censor, don't get someone else to do it for you. Moving the threads is fine by me.
  11. Ganner_Rhysode_86 Jedi Padawan

I'm in too. That is why I like SW better than Trek, EU is canon!! WHy wouldn't you want it to be? Because Chewie died. I was sad too....*rambling*
  12. RingoJuna Jedi Knight

star 3
  13. stevo Jedi Master

star 4
    I want in, but the Admins won't do it. You can't just tell these people that their opinion doesn't matter. But I do understand the way those threads have degraded which I why I do not post in those threads.
  14. Asyr Handor Jedi Master

star 4
  15. Matthew Trias Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm in.These canon threads have gotten real petty.

But the admins seem to be having fun in em themselves....
  16. LanceJade Jedi Master

star 4
  17. yoda_does_dallas Jedi Knight

star 1
  18. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I am hesitant to rule out canon debates.

I am against threads and topics that say "EU is crap, only movies are canon, etc..." - I hate those close minded topics.

What I do enjoy however, is true debate in the classic sense. Debating canon (not movies vs. EU) but internal EU canon. Ie: this couldn't have happened because x did this and y was here at the time because z told him to. I suppose that reaches more across continuity, but does involve canon as well.
  19. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    I'l have to agree with The Gatherer. Debates are useful, shouting matches are not.

I'd hate to see good discussions shut down because of a few close-minded loudmouths.
  20. Dev Sibwarra Jedi Master

star 4
    I support The Gatherer and Jedi Merkurian on this one. Canon debates are fun- if you don't like them, stay away from them.
  21. Matthew Trias Force Ghost

star 6
    Well..tthey don't seem like true debates.

And shouldn't they be in the EU community or misc.?Not Lit?
  22. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Canon debates are fine. Lord knows I've been in enough of them. However, keep them in the proper threads. Certain threads are getting off-topic as people discuss canonity instead of the stated thread topic.
  23. ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling

star 4
    *Ka-sign!*

Yeah, debates are cool, but flame wars are dumb. And I really don't know if these should be in the lit section at all.
  24. Darth_KindaEvilGuy Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey...

It's a free galaxy. If you don't want a canon debate, don't participate. If a canon debate sprouts on an unrelated thread, END IT! I agree that there needs to be some administration of threads that metamorphize into canon discussion (see: Does EU violate GL's vision of TGFFA), but let the canonists (is that a word?) duke it out on their own threads if they want to.

25. Dev Sibwarra Jedi Master

star 4
    The "Vision" thread was an extension of the canon debate, an attempt to establish some much-needed postulates for it. It's not surprising that it's going back in the direction of the argument that it started from.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.