main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Petition to the Administrators-Sign here please

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Nov 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I have had it up to hear with these stupid canon debates that are ruining every single thread that I'm participating in. While it was amusing enough at first trying to work out all the continuity errors and themes of the Books vs. the Themes of the Movies (and very entertaining) now it has become a inane purile (I don't use purile very often) adolescent case of "he said vs. she said" with the same Basher vs. Gusher type feel that plagued the Phantom Menace forum.

Given that this is the literature forum and by defination everything written inside Star Wars literature is Expanded Universe (though some might say the m...no not getting into that) I make this petition to the list administrators that any particular post or topic attempting to discuss the cannonical-ness of the EU be moved to the miscellaneous-ness of Star Wars...

This is a fictional universe and while in the Catholic Church (my own denomination) determining the ultime one true truth of God may be slightly important as is maintaining an official policy-the Star Wars universe is a *FICTIONAL* universe and determining while determining whether George Lucas's new movies will effect the EU it doesn't matter particularly beyond that what the people at LFL consider their personal star wars timeline...

and that's really what this debate is about.

Thank you.

2. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    RIGHT ON DUDE!!!

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I don't much like these canon debates, either. It has been clearly stated that everything except Infinities is canon, yet certain close-minded individuals refuse to believe that.

4. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    [tempted to log in under a sock and start debating with the postatron]

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I agree.

6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Bib, no offense I've posted enough to the Vision thread which unfortunately quickly degenerated into the subject at it's next to worst (the worst was the Prophecy of the One and Emperor) but who cares?

LFL again could say that Luke is a homosexual and married to Chewie in the next three movies that Lucas is making when he finally loses his mind but he's still married to mara in the books.

Now let me sign my own petition.

BOOYAKA

7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I gotta say, you are right.

8. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    Hey, what a great idea. I sign your petition and get a post closer to the next star ;)

9. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    I think you're right about one thing you don't use the word often enough, my friend, because the word is puerile

10. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Yo, I'm in, I have had it as well. However, shutting down a thread(s) is not the answer, It's the reader's choice as to whether they should post replies to said threads. So be your own censor, don't get someone else to do it for you. Moving the threads is fine by me.

11. Ganner_Rhysode_86

Ganner_Rhysode_86 Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2000
    I'm in too. That is why I like SW better than Trek, EU is canon!! WHy wouldn't you want it to be? Because Chewie died. I was sad too....*rambling*

12. RingoJuna

RingoJuna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2001
    Count me in!

13. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I want in, but the Admins won't do it. You can't just tell these people that their opinion doesn't matter. But I do understand the way those threads have degraded which I why I do not post in those threads.

14. Asyr Handor

Asyr Handor Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 1999
    Exactly!!!

15. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I'm in.These canon threads have gotten real petty.

But the admins seem to be having fun in em themselves....

16. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
  17. yoda_does_dallas

yoda_does_dallas Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2001
    Agree with you I do

18. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I am hesitant to rule out canon debates.

I am against threads and topics that say "EU is crap, only movies are canon, etc..." - I hate those close minded topics.

What I do enjoy however, is true debate in the classic sense. Debating canon (not movies vs. EU) but internal EU canon. Ie: this couldn't have happened because x did this and y was here at the time because z told him to. I suppose that reaches more across continuity, but does involve canon as well.

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I'l have to agree with The Gatherer. Debates are useful, shouting matches are not.

I'd hate to see good discussions shut down because of a few close-minded loudmouths.

20. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    I support The Gatherer and Jedi Merkurian on this one. Canon debates are fun- if you don't like them, stay away from them.

21. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Well..tthey don't seem like true debates.

And shouldn't they be in the EU community or misc.?Not Lit?

22. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Canon debates are fine. Lord knows I've been in enough of them. However, keep them in the proper threads. Certain threads are getting off-topic as people discuss canonity instead of the stated thread topic.

23. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    *Ka-sign!*

Yeah, debates are cool, but flame wars are dumb. And I really don't know if these should be in the lit section at all.

24. Darth_KindaEvilGuy

Darth_KindaEvilGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2001
    Hey...

It's a free galaxy. If you don't want a canon debate, don't participate. If a canon debate sprouts on an unrelated thread, END IT! I agree that there needs to be some administration of threads that metamorphize into canon discussion (see: Does EU violate GL's vision of TGFFA), but let the canonists (is that a word?) duke it out on their own threads if they want to.

25. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    The "Vision" thread was an extension of the canon debate, an attempt to establish some much-needed postulates for it. It's not surprising that it's going back in the direction of the argument that it started from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.