PFF FAN FILM?

Discussion in 'Phoenix, AZ' started by LORDPARSEC, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This is SO COOL!!! I can hardly believe how many video production people are here!! WOOHOO!! :) :)

Anyway, I'm more than happy to help out with writing. While I don't have experience doing actual script writing, I do know how to handle a storyline, and can help with the very beginning stuff (fleshing out the story, characters, etc).

Man, I'm out of town far too much this month. I'm in SLC this weekend (that's right, I won't be there on Saturday :( ), and then in Chicago over the 21-23rd. **sigh** But, I WILL squeeze in any and all meetings possible that might come up. :D

^.^
  2. MexChewie Jedi Master

star 4
    I am also willing to help with writing.

Interesting thought came too mind. If we end up writing dialogue that is cheesy, or some consider it bad, would we give GL some latitude? Just thinking out loud.
  3. Darth_Vorpel Jedi Master

star 1
    Good...good. I have been hoping to participate in the production of a fanfilm ever since I saw Duality. Well, I am willing to write, direct, act, or evn just get the donuts for everybody. Anything I can do to help out. See y'all at the meeting...hehe.

4. Anwelei Jedi Knight

star 3
    I would love to be involved too! I'll be anything, even be a go fer or something. :)

I won't be here for the next two meetings so someone please take notes for me!!

5. Jinnetics Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'd like doughnuts, Vorpel.
  6. DarthFeldman Jedi Master

star 4
    Does the Fan flim need a Jawa?? or a Jedi that looks like Corey Feldman?

if wanted..count me in..
  7. CaptHowdy_00 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Those that are interested in writting, should get together and come up with some story lines. Once that is done, All of PFF can vote on them. Then we can take the top five and write short stories, and after a final vote the best story becomes the film.
    That is how my friends and I have done it in the past. though not SW themed. We based it on Animal house,we called it "The next Degeniration".
  8. LORDPARSEC Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll stand by as sort of a props guy. If something weird is needed. I'll try and come up with it. I know it sounds weird but when I watch the Star Wars movies, I like to look at the simple stuff, like food and strange Watto's shop parts and try to figure out what they used... I also have several of the visual dictionaries for that very reason. So prop wise, let me know what is needed.
    LP :D
    PS. I don't make weapons very well but most people tend to have their own already. So I'll stick to the rest.
  9. jupitertronic Jedi Knight

star 3
    ooh ooh ooh i want to be involved! i can help with writing if anyone needs it, and i have no problem helping on costumes (as much as i can, i don't really sew) or props or filming or even acting if anyone would want me to. :)

oh please, let's do this. now that the lineup's over i have nothing to do with my time. i'm going INSANE. hehe
  10. harpm1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Wow! So, who's got a Cannon XL1? That would certainly come in handy. Heck if we had the money I've got an old 16mm film camera. (And I do mean OLD. We're talking like Emperor Palpatine OLD!)But I wouldn't cross that financial bridge unless there were some VERY generous donors.

11. LORDPARSEC Jedi Master

star 4
    I wouldn't mind doing some of the writing... in terms of making the diologue sound like dialogue. I mean it's one thing to have it on paper, it's quite another to have to say it. That is apparent in all of the SW films. I wrote several plays in High school and have had three produced in my time at MCC. Story wise I don't see myself being much help... but perhaps my services as a script doctor in terms of helping the lines to flow... whatever. Wherever I'm needed really.
    LP ;)
  12. Jinnetics Jedi Knight

star 1
    What kind of fan film do we have in mind? One in which all or some of the characters are from the feature films, or one with entirely new characters?
  13. LORDPARSEC Jedi Master

star 4
    I think one with new characters would be a good plan. Unless they are expanded Universe characters that have never been played by a live actor. I was throwing around concepts a long time ago with some friends for a fan film. One of our funnier ones was "The Young Han Solo Chronicles" which would pay homage to the Young Indy Chronicles and start a chain of "Young Harrison Ford Characters". I doubt this will be something to use but I still think the concept is funny.
    LP
    PS. An expanded universe character I've wanted to see more of in a Fan Film would be Kyle Katarn.
  14. 1337H4XZOR Jedi Padawan

I am very much intrested in being involved in this project. These kinds of films are ton of fun to make for those of you who havent done it before. For real they are a blast. Very experianced with almost all aspect that this project may contain, plz see LP for my resume.
    see u all sat! :)
  15. aero- Jedi Knight

star 2
    NO FILM CAN BE COMPLETE WITHOUT A LUNCHBOX! I AM SO IN.
  16. DarthFeldman Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah! a lunchbox full of cheese and a jawa Jedi named Feldman can carry it around..and he can sing Michael Jackson songs to his pet chimp..... Nevermind
  17. Mobius FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    I'm in, if only b/c every film needs a Sith lord :)
  18. FiftyFootDwarf Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey. You don't know me. I'm Grant. My friend and I were actually just starting pre-production on our first fanfilm here in Phoenix. I'm sure I speak for him too when I say that we'd love to offer whatever assistance we can to your fanfilm. I'm 19 and he's 17, in case you guys need a couple of padawans, or a couple of sith punks or something. Heh. Sith punk.
  19. Gallandro Chosen One

star 4
    Hey, my name's Yancy. I haven't been able to attend any of the meetings yet. My friend Doug and I have been planning a documentary chronicling the finally three years before Episode III.

Anywho, I have a Canon GL1 (the consumer end version of the professional Canon XL1 digital camera).

It would really help keep expenses down on any fan film.

Yancy
  20. Idiots Array Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey guys, welcome to the JC. I'm Idiots Array, co-City Rep of Phoenix FanForce. Any assistance you can offer for the film would be greatly appriciated since we're still in the early pre-production stages. Anyway, if you have any questions feel free to contact either myself, kreleia, our City Rep, or Obey Wann, the Regional Support Admin for the south west region.

Have fun,

IA
  21. LORDPARSEC Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm surprised that this topic wasn't brough up at the meeting on the 8th...hmm. Well, probably best that it wasn't. I think there were more pressing issues at hand. Anyway, it just gives us more time to shoot around ideas. If anyone has any story ideas, let them be known! I am not much of a story guy but am great with diologue.
    LP ;)
  22. Idiots Array Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, I think it depends a lot on how long we want our first film(s) to be. Someone mentioned starting off with a 3-5 minute short and working up from there. If so, 3-5 minutes isn't much time for any real plot. Maybe we should start off with a commercial-type film. Vorpal promoting Pepsi (for example) or a Rebel recruiting commercial (because there are tons of Imperial propaganda films already :p ) Or maybe start out with a few quick screen tests to make sure we can get our visual effects, stunts, choreography, etc. down.

I think it was also suggested that, if we wanted to go ahead and write up a full script, to make each short film one episode in a larger film.

Anyway, we should probably decide which way we want to go and then we can start coming up with script ideas.
  23. Gallandro Chosen One

star 4
    Well, I for one would highly recommend shooting on the Canon GL1. It can shoot in 24 fps "frame mode" which gives video a more film-like blur to images so they don't look so "live" like video.

Doug and I have gotten a lot of great results with the GL1.

As far as experience... long ago before my 8-year stint in the Army I was a Motion Picture/Television Production major, mainly focusing on screenwriting/directing.

Again I would recommend using digital video as it will be extremely cheap, and easy to manipulate with a program like Adobe Premiere. And since you are shooting it on video, the length of the project isn't so much of an issue (due to cost of film, and cost to develop and transfer).

I would probably start out small (a 3-7 minute project), due to logistics and schedules. Additionally, if I wanted to cut down production time, and man-hour time, I would try to use foreground miniatures as much as possible, rather than requrining lengthy digital imaging time.

Just some suggestions.

Yancy
  24. LORDPARSEC Jedi Master

star 4
    Perhaps like a three part film, with each part being like 5 minutes. That way we could start with a good story and then break it down. Other issues that should be addressed are things like... 1) When should it take place (Assuming it's not a comercial)? 2) Does the story focus around Jedi, Sugglers, Piolts...etc? Just basic things to think about.
    LP :)
  25. Gallandro Chosen One

star 4
    Ya know, you might be onto something their. Basically, Star Wars is an homage to the Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials... maybe a multipart cliffhanger serial type film would be a good idea.

Yancy
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.