main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PFF Production Spirits of the Force

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Jyro-Kyrn, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Here is the link to the fan films forum post about the Phoenix FanForce FanFilm production.

Check it out.

2. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    And here is the link for where to d/l it on the PFF website.

This is a pretty sweet fanfilm! The FX are pretty dern nice :)

3. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    So, I finally got around to watching this today.
    The acting is above par for most fanfilms.
    The special effects are really good.
    The location that they shot in was spot on perfect for the Jedi Academy.
    Great story, although predictable.

Highly recommended to everyone. I think this one will stand out as one of the better fan films! Check it out!

4. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    A rare thing happened when i watched it. I enjoyed it.The setting was great, the acting was oscar worthy as fan films go. the fight scenes looked good if not a touch slow.When he picked up katarn and flung him up the wall like a rag dall I was very impressed.All in all this was very nicley done.

5. TK-4752

TK-4752 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 20, 2002
    The special effects were awesome as far as FanFilms go.

The rest...well...I'll have to agree with most of the criticisms I read in the original thread this was posted in. [face_plain]

6. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    I mean, not like I've ever made a FanFilm, or acted much more than in a dinky high school play or telling far-fetched lies to get myself out of trouble, but they should've spent more time on it. Shooting a film in just one day isn't exactly something great -- I think they might have rushed to get everything done and left out a lot of care that they could've squeezed in. If yer gonna do it, may as well do it right, ya know?

7. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    It is too bad that we don't have the spirit that PhxFF has to get a film done. If the RMFF rallied around JD's film or mine to get it done then we would have something to show like they do. We have two in production but no FOCUSED attention on either of them.

If you take that as a challenge, fine. ;)

If you take that as a smack across the face, uh, don't, 'cause it's not. [face_blush]

Just saying that this is REALLY HARD when you go at it by yourself. And I've had LOTS of people volunteer for production support. But PRE-production is the tough part. We still need a lot in the way of props, costumes, actors, etc... Not to mention filming equipment, etc... I know I've dumped tons of money (thousands) into this project already. I'm about $500 and a few afternoons worth of work from being ready to film.

Am I ranting?

Anyone willing to be a part of this in any way, let me know. Site is in my sig.

And sorry for this whole post... :p

8. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Dude, you've got a right to rant. I'd love to see us produce a kick @$$ FanFilm that could win the AtomFilms awards that Lucas judges.

But he has requirements. They generally frown on using the scrolling epilogue at the beginning of FanFilms, and they also don't take kindly to using actual characters from the mythology itself in ANYTHING but parody. They generally don't favor anything of a serious nature. Look at the pst winners of the AtomFilms awards -- Pink 5, Jedi Hunter, that Christmas Taun Taun animated short, etc.

I think the main turn off for most of us with doing a FanFilm is the drama. If I were to devote an immense amount of time to helping out with one, I'd want it to be fun and memorable -- not a drama about a lost Jedi or somebody coming to terms with the Dark Side vs. Light Side thing. That's just *not* fun. A parody riddled with a bunch of lame sexual jokes is whack, too, y0 -- that's why none of the troopers wanted anything to do with the last FanFilm they tried getting support for. [face_plain]

There's tons of fun AND funny stuff we could do that would fit into the universe and not be going over the top. Sitting through a 10 minute FanFilm drama is just painful -- it's like JUST watching the meadow scene from AOTC, and nothing else, ya know?

Troops was hilarious. Jedi Hunter was pretty funny. Duality was by far the best choreographed short I've ever seen. Why not do something like that?

So there. There's my rant. :D

9. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Both Cory's film and mine are dramas. Cory's is REALLY dark. Mine has a light moment or two in it but certainly not "light".

If someone comes up with a good, lighthearted idea, I'm game for it. I would love to be part of any kind of production, SW or otherwise.

So go to it! Write something we can all rally around! I'm with you all the way...

10. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Wow, TK really hit it on the head as far as my feelings go, i'm just really not interested in putting time into a "seriously telling a Star Wars story" kind of FanFilm, it's just not my taste, and just not fun to me.

Nothing wrong with doing one, i'm just explaining why i'm not jumping up to help.

11. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    How do you like that? I hijacked my own thread! LOL!

I understand what you guys are saying. And a fun project would be, well, fun. Perhaps we could re-make the SWHS and do it RIGHT? Wait, no, that's impossible.

12. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    I think its something that requires a lot of effort. I'm totally about supporting my friends in their projects, I'm just not really interested in fanfilm. I am interested in other ways of expressing my geek-dom. Different strokes for different folks, yo.

I guess what I'm saying is that most of us are adults, and our time is already limited...why spend lots of time and effort doing something I wouldn't really enjoy...if you guys want to do it, go for it. May the Force be with you. :D

This isn't meant as a slam, either ;)

Break a leg, homies!

13. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    I'm not so much worried about the support. I know I have the support where I need it from the group, which is mainly in actors, props, locations, etc...when the time comes...but with my fanfilm I plan on needing minimal support from the group. I'll be trying to schedule everything so it's most convenient for those who volunteer their time.

I understand most people want to do a fun little fanfilm that we'll enjoy making and watching. What I want is to make a good movie...it just happens to be set in the Star Wars universe. I know it won't be everybody's bag, I know a lot of the fanfilm guys will probably hate it...but I don't care, I'm making this movie for me for the most part...and whoever chooses to help me along the way or not help me, that's fine. I can't *expect* someone to jump in and help with my project.

That said, I'm still going to make some sort of logo for Rocky Mountain FanFilms and add it to because there are several people from the group who have already volunteered to help with my project. I've got Jeff helping with props, music, and he's cast in an important role. Josh is also cast in an important role. Jen is doing my makeup and is helping with location scouting and many other little things. Sarah has offered to be my costume designer. Jared said he would be my director of photography. Kim has offered to be my craft table person. Ben has offered to help me with postproduction.

Heck, the fact that I knew people from the group would step up and help me with it was one of the reasons I decided to do a star wars fanfilm instead of just a short film about revenge...I'm sure my friends from the group would still help out if I needed it, but they wouldn't be as excited about it as they would a star wars film.

Anyway, I'm not sure what my point is except maybe that we have the people willing to lend the support, it's just a matter of who's, when's, and where's.

14. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    My post was entirely motivated by jealousy.

The PFF managed to make a very good FF. And it was because it was a group effort.

I guess I'm just hitting that burn out wall where you've been working on something so long by yourself, driving a dream, that you are tired and just need a little support to kick you into gear again.

Sorry for the rant.

And there are those here that have volunteered to help, Zoo, JGoC, Cory, etc... I'm not saying that no-one is willing. I'm just complaining that the pre-production is murder. Building production equipment from scratch. Stealing money to pay for it all. Every waking and sleeping moment at times is consumed by thoughts of how to get something like this accomplished.

Again, sorry for the rant.

And, if it is your cup o tea, watch SOTF. It's pretty good.

15. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    I think that's why I haven't gotten around to even attempting a FanFilm -- pre-production, post-production, bossing people around, etc. I'm more at home making stuff.

16. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    i don't see either of us being the bossy filmmaker type...but that might change when we get on set and stuff starts going crazy...lol

NO NO NO NO NO!!! HAVE YOU EVEN READ THE GOD****ED SCRIPT? WHERE'S MY COFFEE?!!!!! AMATEURS! I'M SURROUNDED BY AMATEURS!! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO MAKE A MOVIE WHEN I CAN'T EVEN GET MY ****ING COFFEE?!!!!

lol

17. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Yep. And I'd just park myself in the makeshift green room and make nasty comments about everyone. :D

18. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    lol, I can see the "making of" featurette of The Dark Path now...

"Cory seemed like he'd be a great director to work with, but halfway through shooting, he just flipped out like a ninja and started killing people. It was like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. One minute he's sitting in his director's chair, the next minute he's ripping my head off for holding the boom too high. Then he screams at the actors about messing up a line by saying "it's such a wonderful day" instead of "it's such a beautiful day"...the guy's a friggin script nazi!"

lol, okay, not really. I'll be cool to work with. I promise! Really!

19. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Bossing people around!!!! I knew there was a REASON I wanted to make a FanFilm! LOL! ;)

I am picky, but I am also NOT domineering. I am much more likely to ASK you to do something than TELL you.

It will be interesting to see what everyone thinks of me once filming is actually over.

20. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    hhhmmm. I'm not saying I'm convinced or anything...but for some unknown reason I've been thinking about you two aspiring film-makers and your conundrum pretty much nonstop lately...have a few ideas [face_devil]

lets share at the con.

21. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    I won't be there. But talk it up with Cory. He knows where I am coming from pretty well. We talk quite often. Interested to hear what you are thinking!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.