main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Phantasm Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doom Trooper, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    Not sure how many fans of this series might be here but I thought it'd be fun to discuss them, especially since the character of Phasma is a homage to the films and their signature flying silver sphere. I love this series and as a lifelong Horror and Sci-Fi fan it's my favorite Horror series and a rare one where every entry is damn good. The series is basically a Horror/Sci-Fi hybrid (with a significant Action element present in the second) concerning the sinister operations of an otherworldy mortician known only as The Tall Man, who employs a number of minions to help him with his bidding including robed dwarves and flying killer spheres. Sounds weird? It is, but it's so awesome and to reveal any more about the series is pretty much spoiling it. All four movies are excellent, I think 2 is the best but all are amazing and you owe it to yourself to see them if you never have.

A new installment is finally coming out called Ravager and is officially slated for release sometime in 2016. The new one is looking a little rough cut but I've got no doubt it'll look better when it's finished. If you'd like you can also rank the movies in your order of preference, as I'll do:

Phantasm II
    Phantasm
    Phantasm IV: Oblivion
    Phantasm III: Lord Of The Dead

All are excellent and I hope Ravager lives up to them and is worth the near 20-year wait since 4. Any other fans here? I think it's pretty awesome how JJ Abrams is a fan and is homaging it in TFA, should be interesting to see if he throws any other nods in there. And anyone who's a fan of both surely must notice the similarities between the Jaws and dwarf creatures :D

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

HL&S and vin like this.
  3. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    :D

Always awesome meeting another fan of the series. It's a shame it never had the mainstream success of other big-name Horror series back then.

4. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    I like these movies well enough. I thought Oblivion was underrated mystical horror, and should have had a wide release as a legit movie instead of straight-to-video low-budget schlock-land. The director of Bubba Hotep and John Dies at the End deserves better from his original, very weird and wonderful conception.

5. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    It's a shame Don Coscarelli doesn't direct more often, he's definitely got talent and imagination. Got to wonder how'd he do helming a big budget blockbuster or even an SW film.

2 has always been my favorite of the series, definitely the most entertaining to me.

6. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    I read once that Coscarelli conceived the series in a dream. He shaped these visions into a screenplay and the rest is film history. Apparently the hooded dwarfs were part of his dream, which were already created and costumed in pre-production on the film... when Star Wars came out, and it looked like they had ripped off the Jawas. But the dwarfs came first, at least to Don.

7. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Indeed, the first movie started filming in 1977 around the time ANH was out and before the Jawas were known to anyone. Pure coincendence. Funny enough the films have their shares of similarities and parallels with SW.

8. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Floating orbs being another.

9. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Oblivion in particular is very SW-esque with the desert setting (shades of Tattooine there) and the relationship between Mike and The Tall Man in that feels a lot like Luke and Vader in ROTJ.

10. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Agreed. I like all the flashbacks, too, using deleted footage from the first film that really fleshes out the characters and gives the whole movie this dream-like quality. Appropriate to the material, surely. But I also like the more action-oriented III. That one is loads of fun.

11. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    They're all a blast to watch. As I said before, I'm partial to the second film and dare I say it, prefer James LeGros as Mike.

12. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    II was the most successful and had the highest budget, I believe. I've seen it once, long ago. It's due for a rewatch considering how much I like the others.

13. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    They'd all be good to re-visit for sure. Some fans dislike 2 for the recasting of Mike but get past that and it's a great ride.

14. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Heads up for any fan that J.J. Abrams is actually helping to assist with a 4K remaster of the original, and from the images released thus far it's looking great. Would be nice if he helped do the same for the sequels.

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    First one will always be special to me. So weird and WTF in all the right ways.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I enjoy the second film despite what happened with the casting issues. I will give the films this, they do a good job of making the world feel post apocalyptic. Gives it a nice atmosphere.

17. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  18. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    JJ should've given Angus Scrimm a part in TFA. He has been on my casting wishlist since the prequels.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Phantasm 2 is the first film I have memory of doing repairs to the well worn VHS tape. I have met many "celebrities" at conventions over the years and Angus Scrimm, by far, was the creepiest. Nicest bloke in the world but it's not like he doesn't look & sound like the Tall Man in everyday life.

vin likes this.
  20. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    I hope the other films get the 4K treatment and not just the first. It's a rare series and especially in Horror where every entry is really good. I could never imagine Phantasm as a one-off film with how great the second film is and the subsequent sequels are fine films, too.

21. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Agreed. Him and Lor San Tekka could have worked together meeting Poe.

22. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Always thought Angus Scrimm would've made an awesome Sith Lord.

23. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Also word is the fifth film will supposedly finally see released during the first or second quarter of 2016. Sure hope so. I'm just glad they made a new film before Angus Scrimm passes, I hate to entertain the thought but at nearly 90 years of age you know it's sadly only a matter of time :( Not to mention in his recent appearances he's certainly looking more frail.

24. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Found out that Bad Robot actually has the rights to the series now and J.J. Abrams wants to continue it. I get the feeling a reboot some time from now is in the pipeline with J.J. helming it. I honestly wouldn't be opposed to a well-done reboot once the original series is concluded which it seems it will be with Ravager.

25. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I met Angus Scrimm about a year or so ago at a horror convention and it was a blast. I love these films especially the first two. They are just so bizarre and unique.

Personally I really love the feel of this being a story of adolescence confronting a nightmare. I think that is what makes the first film work and why I wouldn't exactly be opposed to a remake.