main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY PHANTOM EDIT

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by citizenjohn, Jun 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    By now everyone around must have heard about STAR WARS EPISODE 1.1 THE PHANTOM EDIT. Acording to the NY POST it is starting to show up at comic stores in VHS format in LA & Chicago
    What is your opinion on this?
    Do you think the Phantom Editor is doing the right thing by tampring with it?
    Has anyone seen it?

2. jandimin

jandimin Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 23, 2000
    i have not seen it, though i am very curious. i'm not sure about the whole right or wrong issue.

3. TorynFarr

TorynFarr Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 27, 2000
    i want to see it. legally, it cant be right, but whatever. i never liked jar jar either.

4. RedFour

RedFour Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2001
    I saw it this weekend, It was great. There was still too much Jar Jar but you can't cut him out completely or else the Gungan war doesn't make any sense. I also liked the fact that the future Darth Vader quit whining. On the subject of wrong or right, I think that GL should have done a better job to begin with. That's just one Rebel pilots opinion. Red Four out.

5. citizenjohn

May 4, 2001
    Red 4

I would like to see it.

6. Shoeless Jedi

Shoeless Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2000
    yeah, all this talk about them floating around NY and LA like it's so easy to just get your hands on a copy. Well, why haven't I seen it yet then? At any rate, I think it's wrong. I mean it's a fun idea, but I agree with the whole comparison to messing with a work of art. I mean people didn't go paint over Picassos just cause the eyes were outta place. And you sure as heck can't walk into the Met and paint over Pollock just so you can see an image more clearly, so why should people be able to go around thinking they can remake George's vision? If u don't like it, fine, that's your opinion, make your own movie and do a better job, but don't mess with the original. just my $0.02

7. RedFour

RedFour Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2001
    Edit: From TFN Staff, we are not allowed to discuss viewing, selling or anything like that of the Phantom Edit. though we can still discuss it overall.

8. citizenjohn

May 4, 2001
    Red
    Thanks.

We will work something out.

John

9. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    From TFN Staff. No selling, trying to get a copy or anything like that of The Phantom Edit. Discussion other than that is fine.

10. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    I do not endorse bootlegs of any sort. I have no interest in seeing the Phantom Edit and in support of George Lucas, I would not pay for a copy. But... to each his or her own :)

That said.. I echo the idea that no one has the right to tamper with someone else's vision.

Plus I liked Jar Jar so I would miss him!

11. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    Maybe when GL does TPM:SE we will get to see more Jar Jar.

Perosnally, I do not care about Jar Jar being cut out, he is there so I deal with it. I did get many laughs from him.

12. jandimin

jandimin Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 23, 2000
    jar jar is far from tpm's only problem. the biggest problem with tpm is the level of expectation everyone has for it. you just can't please everybody, we can show support for someone (george lucas) who gave us a saga that obviously has affected all of our lives in some manner.

13. ManyBothansDied

ManyBothansDied Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2001
    I almost paid money for it on Ebay, but the auction was cancelled. The seller contacted me but I told him to beat it, because some kid told me he can get me the MPGS of it for free. The way it outta be!!

EDIT: sorry, links to the Phantom Edit are not allowed on the TFN Forums.

sorry bouth that, if anyone needs the link, PM or email me.

14. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    I agree with Jandimin and MysterySith. While being interviewed on line a reporter asked what will I do if TPM stinks. I said in my opinion...it's SW so it can't. He said "What will it take to make it stink in your eyes?" I said "It would need to be 2 hours of blank film for me to be disappointed." I meant that. I knew that we would never get another ANH. No movie will ever blow us away as completely as that one did partly because I feel many of us saw it at a very impressionable time in our lives. No movie will ever be ESB. Will we ever be that surprised by 5 words again? No movie will ever Be ROTJ. What could equal the suspense as we waited with Luke for Yoda to confirm or dispute the revelation Vader had made? No to mention the final confrontation. What is important to remeber is the first trilogy drops us right in the middle of the war against the Empire. There are not many explanations given in the first 3 films and we cried for more. With the new triology, we are getting what we asked for and the story had to start somewhere. I look forward to Episode 2 with the same lack of expectations I kept for TPM. It's not that I anticipate being disappaointed, but that I trust George Lucas to do as good a job with he next 2 films as he did with the first 4. Do I think TPM is perfect? No. But I liked it. As far as TPE goes, frankly I have no interest in it. Jar Jar is part of TPM, He did not bother me then and he does not bother me now. I can't see spending money on an incomplete film. But to each his or her own! :)

15. nycdexter

nycdexter Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2001
    Well said, LadySith.

I think you know that on the topic of how Star Wars effects the hearts of fans, I echo your sentiments on a great many details.

I don't see anything wrong with being curious about the edit, or wanting to see it, just to get the perspective of another Star Wars fan (whether or not we think he or she is misguided :) ) but it ISN'T Star Wars, it's just a fan film on the edge of Star Wars fandom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.