main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phantom Editor Speaks: AOTC review

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by JoelDubin, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    i didnt know there were rules about what one has to feel or like or think to be a "true fan"

"Search your feelings. You know it to be true!"

2. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    im glad you enjoyed them. good for you. i didnt, and i come to the AOTC boards to express that sentiment.

where should i go to express my dislike of the film? the OT board?

no.

this is the board to discuss AOTC. that is what i wish to do. if you dont like it maybe you are the one in the wrong place. are you here for discussion or only positive comments and praise of AOTC?

3. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    are you here for discussion or only positive comments and praise of AOTC?

Actually, a bit of positive discussion would be nice.

4. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    BECAUSE I AM A STAR WARS FAN WHO IS SAD TO SEE THE QUALITY OF THE SAGA GO DOWN THE TUBES WHILE OTHERS TURN A BLIND EYE TO THE PROBLEMS AND ACCEPT IT JUST BECAUSE IT BEARS THE STAR WARS NAME OR BECAUSE LUCAS WANTED IT THAT WAY.

Ewww...all caps. Anyway, with this I'm convinced that you're just doing this to troll. You should check out the TOS also. They have a little thing in there about trolling also.

You really think people are saying good things because they're turning a "blind eye to the problems"? You really think they "accept it just because it bears the Star Wars name"? Has it ever crossed your mind that they might actually like it? Hey, guess what? People might have different opinions than you!

If you seriously believe what I just quoted, I feel sorry for you. You really don't understand why some people don't like the PT. You think you can explain it all away with "Oh, you're in denial", or the even better one, "You like it because you're an idiot" (those two are from dahveed; actually, he was nice enough to give us a choice between the two). As much as it confuses you, you're just going to have to accept it. People like different things than you.

There, it's not that hard to get.

And for the last goddamn time, I am not attacking your opinions. People like Jabbadabbadoo and Binary_Sunset, no matter how much I disagree with their opinions, have the courtesy to say them without insulting their audience. Because of that, people listen to them, care what they have to say, and hold serious debates with them. You, on the other hand, have not mastered that fine art. You continually condescend and insult, and no matter how much you think it helps, adding "IMO" to "You're an idiot" doesn't do anything.

However, I bet you're still going to respond to this post, saying I'm attacking your opinions. If past experience serves me well, you will either attach about twenty "IMO"s to the end of your post, or else write "opinion" in all caps a bunch of times. You will also probably accuse me of flaming.

Seriously, don't you have a better way to spend your time than trying to get the PT fans pissed off at you?

5. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    So... what you're saying, Dr. Evazan, is that you hate the prequels so far.

Why didn't you say so earlier! I've been trying to get your opinion of the films for the past 100 posts.

Now I know your stance on the issue.

6. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    are you here for discussion or only positive comments and praise of AOTC?

Yeah, I probably should have predicted this one too.

You are aware that these forums aren't only to review movies, aren't you? There are many threads that are productive and interesting, and do not consist of solely "positive comments and praise". Go check them out.

And I assume you also know that no one will question your basher status if you say something positive about the movie. Try it. It won't hurt.

7. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I for one no longer enjoy these boards because every single thread is about my AotC sucked. I enjoyed the film and I'm sick of being personally attacked because of it.

8. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    I also wonder why people feel the need to validate their opinions when an opinion, by it's very nature, is a personal axiom, that is, a self-evident truth assumed without proof.

With that said, has it ever occured to any of you bashers that you simply don't enjoy the new Star Wars films, not because they're bad films, but simply because you happened to not enjoy them? And can't you just accept that you don't like them without trying to assign some sort of arbitrary blame in order to justify your opinion?

I mean, I have absolutely no problem with someone making the blanket statement, "I don't like Star Wars." That's fine. However, when someone says, "I don't like Star Wars because George Lucas is a greedy bastard and a hack," well, that ruffles my feathers a bit.

So for our sake and yours, just admit that you don't like the new films and leave it at that. No need to validate your opinion as I can respect it as it stands. It's when you attempt the futile task of trying to ground your opinion in "reason" and "logic" that you get yourself into trouble.

9. RogueTrader

Feb 7, 2002
    *tumbleweed rolls by*

:)

10. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

That was a great post Durwood.
    Well-written, succinct and sensible.
    I applaud you.

Uh oh! Yikes! I'm gushing about a post.
    I must be blind to it's flaws! It's not as good as Durwood's EARLIER posts, the older ones contained childhood magic. Obviously, if the PE could get ahold of Durwood's post, he could improve it, edit it, and remove it's more annoying passages.

I'm just a pathological gusher I guess, :)

11. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    where should i go to express my dislike of the film? the OT board?

No. Do it here. Just don't click the "post" tab.

12. RogueTrader

Feb 7, 2002
    Besides, how many different ways can you say "I didn't like it"?

Surely you can make your opinion known with a simple post or 2.

13. Darth Euro

Darth Euro Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    I was going to not reply to this thread, when I read Durwood's post...

"With that said, has it ever occured to any of you bashers that you simply don't enjoy the new Star Wars films, not because they're bad films, but simply because you happened to not enjoy them?"

I hate to open up a can of worms - oh wait, someone else already opened the can :), but if what you say is true, then the reverse is an equally valid statement:
    "has it ever occured to any of you gushers that you simply enjoyed the new Star Wars films, not because they're good films, but simply because you happened to enjoy them?"

I'm not aiming this at you, Durwood, since you most likely agree with me, but I am just reacting to such comments in general. Sometimes it is interesting to look at things from another perspective....

14. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    where should i go to express my dislike of the film?

You should go here, to this forum. However, expressing your dislike once is more than enough. There's really no need to sound like a broken record by rehashing the same gripes over and over.

15. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    "has it ever occured to any of you gushers that you simply enjoyed the new Star Wars films, not because they're good films, but simply because you happened to enjoy them?"

I believe gushers have conceded that possibility countless times.

16. RogueTrader

Feb 7, 2002
    Darth Euro, I'm willing to accept that. I know what I like. When I know, I know. I've enjoyed the prequels thus far.

But I do think they are well-crafted. As a kid, I could have never imagined seeing some of the beautiful and complex imagery I've been viewing on screen with these new movies. And the story is what the story is. I like that too.

17. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    I do believe we have the bashers in retreat boys... yee Haw!

Dr.Evazan wrote: you say he leaked his edit every media outlet he could... post proof or retract.

The phantom editor states right on his own website that he intentionally placed a copy of the Edit next to Scott from View Askew's bag when he met him while filming Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back. If that's not leaking to a media outlet I obviously don't know what is.

"Malcolm went back to shooting and I decided to anonymously place a copy of a certain re-edited movie next to a bag that I believed was Scott?s or Scott?s girlfriend?s.

Not to mention the Phantom Edit is available free on the internet and can be found rather easily. Am I wrong in assuming that the internet is BIGGEST MEDIA OUTLET on the planet?

No retraction necessary.

It's really simple ... The TFN forums are a place where people who enjoy the Star Wars movies come to talk about why they enjoy the movies.

If you go to see AOTC and you don't enjoy it, thats ok. When you tell a room full of AOTC fans that you didn't like it, ONCE is enough. We heard you. We don't agree with you. But you knew that before you came here didn't you?

Whether or not a film is a good film is still one person's opinion. Typically if someone enjoys a movie, they consider it a good film. If they do not they consider it a bad film. logical, no? So if you thought AOTC was a bad film but still enjoyed it, who gets hurt? nobody.

If you consider it a bad film and dislike it as well, why would you want to hang out on AOTC's FAN website and antagonize people into arguments?

Just because you've bought into the media un-hype about the Prequel Trilogy being poor does not mean you are going to convice anyone here to do the same. Trying to only makes your argument more impotent.

18. RogueTrader

Feb 7, 2002
    Only_2, the basher of bashers. I like the sound of that. :)

19. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    Durwood says:"are you here for discussion or only positive comments and praise of AOTC?

Actually, a bit of positive discussion would be nice."

yeah, there arent any threads here with positive discussion.

Lord_Hydronium says: "Ewww...all caps. Anyway, with this I'm convinced that you're just doing this to troll. You should check out the TOS also. They have a little thing in there about trolling also."

how does that constitute trolling? if anyone is a troll its Only_2... but its ok if he does it i guess.

sorry some of you didnt take the time to read what was going on here, i was responding to comments. interesting that someone who just came here to flame people for dissenting views gets commended but the reverse gets criticised.

now im not allowed to respond either?

and Lord_Hydronium you are generalizing what others have said and directing them at me... not sure why but ok. im also fine with the fact that people like the PT. i dont, so far. i said "others" turn a blind eye, not all. i know people have different opinions than me... im not the one suggesting they not be allowed to state them. if i called anyone an idiot it was because i was sick and tired of others doing the same, and returning the favor.

why do people keep complaining about "bashing"? maybe if some of you stopped complaining about it and attacking people for having different views, they wouldnt respond in a like manner. go take a look at how much of this thread is people repeatedly attacking the character of the PE rather than the content of his review.

and RogueTrader i have stated several times that i didnt like AOTC or TPM... why did it take so long to figure that out? it should be obvious to you... i think its clear to most.

20. RogueTrader

Feb 7, 2002
    ... So, what your trying to say is, you don't really like the prequels.

21. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    I could not care less what the "Phantom Editor" thinks. His version of TPM was no better than Lucas's. He is just one of many delusional Star Wars fans who think they know better than the creator of the series how the story should be told.

RB

22. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Well said :)

ST

23. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    DrE:

I'm not flaming you personally.

I responded to your opinion of the PE in a civil manner disagreeing with your view.

you flamed me back asking for a retraction of something that was true, which is why I posted it.

I will ask this question 1 more time: If you don't like AOTC, why are you here?

Not liking AOTC is ok. telling people you don't like AOTC is ok. Yelling at people on the AOTC forum trying to convinvce them why they shouldn't like AOTC is like running into a thorny bush naked. Not a good idea if you want people to take you seriously.

24. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    yes... elsewhere i have stated why as have many others... unfortunatly they are mostly attacked for their opinions, rather than given a chance to state why they didnt like them. much like in this thread where people didnt say why they disagreed with the PE's thoughts on AOTC. instead the majority of people attacked him, his percieved motives, and his character. the same happened in the Orson Scott Card thread.

if anything gets tired IMO its the inability of people to respond to criticism of this film in an intelligent manner... it happens but its rare. Lord_Hydronium, for example, usually tries to respond reasonably, which is great. though i think he may still have it in for me when i jokingly called him a few names that in my mind were clearly jokes... (something about lucas humper)
    sorry again for that misunderstanding L_H.

i really do try to discuss these things but the usual "obviously a basher" and "thats the way lucas wanted it" responses make it incredibly difficult. sometimes, like you i get sick of it, and feel the need to respond to stupid infalmmatory remarks with some of my own.

im not trying to convince anyone they shouldnt like anything... i am saying why i didnt like it.

25. RogueTrader

Feb 7, 2002
    Would you expect anything less? Coming to a Star Wars fan message board going into detail about why the prequels are crap is bound to get some attention.

When you badmouth things other people love, what do you want out of them? Would you like them to change your mind about the movies? Do you want to change theirs? You obviously want some kind of result because if all you want to give is your opinion, you can easily give the reasons why you hated theses movies in one well-typed post. It's your opinion. Thusly, it can't REALLY be debated. You must want to debate something, or else you wouldn't be here. It seems that antagonizing is what a basher really wants.

Besides, you can only hear that "this sucks" and "that sucks" so many times until you get tired of it because it's not really constructive. It's just the same bashing OVER and OVER and OVER...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.