main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phantom Editor Speaks: AOTC review

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by JoelDubin, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    If it hurts when you watch the movie, it's because you are watching it wrong.

Attitude is everything.

2. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Well, look at the bright side, if the movie hurt him, he can't complain about AOTC not having an emotional impact.

3. DOOKU2004

DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    Joel, i hate to make it personal but you are not a true fan....not because you don't like it, that's your opinion...but when you go on and on and post negative hacks at the movie that doesn't sound like a true fan to me... I mean it sounds like you are just looking for every little detail to gripe about. If only GL had consulted with you, maybe that would have helped the truly few of you who have to go on every day with why the movie sucked while tons of us who loved the movie simply can enjoy AOTC and look forward to the next one. Why even come here? If it's so bad, then stay away and let those of us who loved the movie enjoy it. I guess that would be asking too much. I mean you have the right to come here and bash and bash while "loving the OT"...give me a break. There is so much going on in AOTC that GL did an incredible job of tying it all in while still setting up for EP III.....

4. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    D_B you brought up a good point. This "editor"(and I use that term loosely because putting 2 VCR's together to make your own cut to distribute doesn't qualify you as an editor but rather a hack) has issues that relate to his inability to let go of his preconceptions of what Star Wars is and just accept the movie as it is seen in 2002, not as he might have seen it in 1977 or 1980 when he was younger(if he's even old enough).

As an aspiring filmmaker I think this guy is no better than the high paid studio executive who insists on making cuts to the director's film because they feel it doesn't run smoothly or they want to show the movie more times in theaters so they cut it down.

Basically, I have no respect towards this person. Let him make his own movie instead of cutting up someone elses to distribute and looking to prolong whatever 15 minutes of fame he had.

5. Darkwish

Darkwish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2001
    He's entitled to his opinion.
    I don't happen to agree with him.
    He's even wrong on a couple points. One of them being the hanger fight was all done in front of blue or green screen. Untrue. The hanger was an actual set.

6. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    It did hurt to watch.

It hurt to watch Anakin lose his mother in his arms.

It hurt to watch a son hold his fathers' head and sob.

It hurt to see Padme marry Anakin, because thier relationship will not end happy.

It did hurt; but not in the ways Mr. Coppola (TPEditor) addressed.

7. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Joel, i hate to make it personal but you are not a true fan....not because you don't like it, that's your opinion...but when you go on and on and post negative hacks at the movie that doesn't sound like a true fan to me...

That's absurd. Just because he doesn't like the movie doesn't mean he's not a SW fan. That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Although I get sick of negative hacks, it certainly doesn't constitute that bashers aren't fans.

8. DOOKU2004

DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    Pooja, if that's the dumbest thing you've heard, then you're living inside a bubble... i said he can have his opinion, but when you make a point to bash, bash and bash some more, IN MY OPINION, that doesn't sound like a true fan....

9. Darth_Terrell

Darth_Terrell Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    Well, probably the only smart thing that ever came out of the mouth of Harry Knowles, perfectly fits here.

"Yes, there will be bashers and naysayers, and people who will not like the movie. All I can say is it must suck to be you."

Thank God I can enjoy these prequels. As for the phantom editor, he isn't worth taking a leak on. So I'm not gonna waste a few good minutes reading his garbage.

As for the bashers and haters, mark it down. They will hate Episode III. They will still see it 5 times, and buy the DVD. Which makes their credibility zero. They'll also continue to bash Lucas and these prequels. Episode III could be the greatest creation in mankind, it's not gonna change things. They're still going to piss and moan.

As for AOTC! Awesome. Far superior in every single respect to TPM.

10. sr_spielbergo

sr_spielbergo Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2002
    AOTC is the best movie I have ever seen.

11. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Pooja, agreed. There are times, which you have pointed out that the film does make us hurt, feel sorrow and sadness. And I admit the film moved me, more than i would care to admit but i guess because I'm a sensitive type of person it would effect me.

And I agree although I attacked some of the bashers in my original post of this thread, I do recognise they are fans. They have their opinion, negative yes but that doesn't mean anything regarding their love of everything Star Wars.

12. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Ah. I must have missed something. We all owe it to Harrison for the tremendous success of the OT. Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, nowhere near the household name that is Han Solo. They're all way overrated, right? Han is the man. Hand it to him. Woo-ha!

This reminds me of a critic, Gene Siskel I think, who said that while Hamill plays the central figure in ESB, it ends up being Ford's movie.

I couldn't possibly disagree more. I love Ford in ESB; IMO it's one of his best performances. But I am sick and tired of people retroactively crediting Ford with all the success of the OT, presumably because he's a big star.

Hamill more than holds up his end of ESB, and Luke's duel with Vader is easily one of the greatest scenes in movie history. It was a physically and emotionally demanding role and Hamill was great in it. Some people might turn off ESB after Han gets frozen in carbonite, but personally I just can't wait to get to the lightsaber duel.

And Carrie Fisher isn't the greatest actress in the world, but IMO Ford's performance in ESB wouldn't have been nearly as good without her to bounce off of. She holds up her end of the movie very well too. Who can forget the expression on her face as Han is lowered into the carbon-freezing chamber?

It is no accident that the three of them appear in the end credits all on the same line: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher.

IMO, there's a group of people who claim to like the OT but in reality only regard it as three of Harrison Ford's movies.

13. DOOKU2004

DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    The reason I don't understand the bashers is that GL puts his heart and soul into every star wars movie he does....the prequels especially, it's a 10 year committment. He's the same person who wrote ANH and came up with the story for TESB and ROTJ...it is all his vision..I could see if he had no involvement and let Joel Schumacher direct it or something, but the only people who have changed are the bashers...not GL

14. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Shelley:

You are right. Ford is not the saving grace of the OT. I mean, Ford has been in some REALLY crappy movies. He's my favorite actor of all time, and I loved him in the OT, but frankly, there was more to it than just Han Solo.

Oh no, there isn't a Han character in the PT, oh God the PT sucks.

15. Darth_Terrell

Apr 24, 2002
    Well, nothing Lucas can do will satisfy those people. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. It's okay to point out flaws, because no film is perfect. But some won't do that. They chose to not like the prequels before they ever came out. Quite frankly, I'll be glad when Episode III is over. That way they'll be out of things to bitch about. Oops! I forgot, that's impossible. They will ride Lucas' back for the rest of his life. After Episode III, they'll move on to complaining about the DVDs.

16. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    The things is with something like thi, you'll always get people that disaree with something. We're not all drones and blindly love GL's work. A Episode of Star Wars may well be enjoyed by you or I but not so easily by others.
    Its amazing to me that no one really criticises ANH or ESB because they are as shaky as the prequels and ROTJ. I would stick my neck out and say that the OT is as bad as the PT, I'd get hounded for it but its the truth.

17. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Well, nothing Lucas can do will satisfy those people. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. It's okay to point out flaws, because no film is perfect. But some won't do that. They chose to not like the prequels before they ever came out. Quite frankly, I'll be glad when Episode III is over. That way they'll be out of things to bitch about. Oops! I forgot, that's impossible. They will ride Lucas' back for the rest of his life. After Episode III, they'll move on to complaining about the DVDs.

No, they will complain about Lucas not making anymore Star Wars movies.

But yeah, you're right for the most part. I bet Osama seen AOTC, and wants to bomb the Ranch.

18. DOOKU2004

DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    Very true Terrell.It's the price of success, when you're at the top and you succeed, then everyone want's to copy you and/or to bash you. It's actually a nice problem to have. Just wait until the next SM comes out. Even if it's better than the first, people are going to take shots at it.

19. Darth_Terrell

Apr 24, 2002
    "I bet Osama seen AOTC, and wants to bomb the Ranch."

LOL!

Oh well, my advice is if you don't like it, move on and skip Episode III. Don't buy the DVDs. Don't give Lucas your money. Funny how these bashers never do that. Always get a chuckle out of, "it's terrible. I know because I've seen it 5 times." Then they'll buy the DVD. That means one of two things. They're either lying through their teeth, or they don't have any sense.

By the way Dooku, it takes about 5 years for the true backlash to kick in.

20. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I agree that the original cast did a fine job in the OT. Also, Harrison Ford's performance in ROTJ was extremely lackluster.

But the most iconic things about Star Wars are, in no particular order,

The Force
    Han Solo
    lightsabers
    Yoda's voice
    Darth Vader's voice
    The musical score
    C3P0 and R2D2

Take away any of those elements and ANH and ESB would have been two forgetable genre films. And you can't discount the possibility that the absence of a character as charismatic and engaging as Solo, and the absence of a villain as iconic as Darth Vader are two of the reasons that TPM and AOTC are merely two forgetable genre films.

21. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Oh no, there isn't a Han character in the PT, oh God the PT sucks.

Ugh...I've seen people go so far as to say it sucks because Han himself isn't in it! (Never mind that Han wouldn't even have been born in TPM and would be maybe six in AOTC--in other words, not the Han we saw in the OT.) One person said, "How come Boba Fett gets a back story, but Han doesn't?"

If all they like about the OT is Han--and I think in reality, all they like about the OT is Harrison--why are they even bothering with the PT?

If there had been a Han-type character in TPM and AOTC, I am sure the complainers would be sniping that such-and-such character was "a pale imitation of Han. Lucas shouldn't have had that character at all if he couldn't do it right."

In any case...there was a character who is somewhat like Han, in that he marches to the beat of his own drum and has a twinkle in his eye a lot of the time: Qui Gon Jinn.

22. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Also, Harrison Ford's performance in ROTJ was extremely lackluster.

That's a first for me, but I'm sure you have reasons why you think so.

23. Darth_Terrell

Apr 24, 2002
    Ah, there's the rub. I guarantee you if Lucas had made sequels now, with Han, Luke, Leia, Chewy, and the original cast, many would love them, even if they were horrid.

Get over it. This is Episodes I-III, not rehashes of IV-VI.

24. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    rofl, I wonder what things Mr. Coppola (The Phantom Editor) will screw up in his Edit of the Clones.

25. Darth_Terrell

Apr 24, 2002
    I didn't even bother reading his AOTC slam. I knew what was coming. If this guy was even a below average filmmaker, I may give him 1 minute of my time. But since he's not even that, he doesn't bear mentioning. I've never even seen The Phantom edit, nor care to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.