PT Phantom Menace 3D Review

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by kypzethdurron, Feb 8, 2012.

Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. MattPeriolat Jedi Knight

star 3
    But concerns me about ANH, ESB and ROTJ, since they were more practical effects.

Truth is, the 3D is a cool gimmick, but honestly, it's no different than what is on the blu-rays.
  2. MrFantastic74 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Pardon me for having an opinion.
  3. _Catherine_ Force Ghost

star 4
    But watching a movie in 3D is simply a better way to watch a movie. It's like black and white versus color. Watching a movie in black and white is fine, however, color makes it look more real. Same thing, really.
  4. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    I disagree. While that may be true to some movies made with 3D in mind, that doesn't apply (to me) when we are talking about conversions. Would you prefer a coloured version of Citizen Kane? I would probably watch it out of curiosity, but I would still prefer the black and white version. The Phantom Menace looks good in 3D, but it was inconsistent. I prefer the 2D version.
  5. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    It was not mind blowingly different but it was different and I think better. There are a few shots hat are fantastic and a few previouly meh shots that are better now(the space battle comes to mind).

The best part: Seeing SW on the big screen has always been awesome, the theatre was packed at 1 in the afernoon, the crowd cheered and applauded when it was over, and there was a line for the 2nd showing.

SW is alive and well.
  6. MandalorianDuchess Jedi Master

star 3
    No, it's all a matter of personal taste.

You seem to be pretty sure that color is somehow preferable to B&W. Once upon a time I might have agreed, but that's not the way I feel any more.

I still remember the first time I watched "Casablanca" in a movie theater. It was a glorious experience - and I was totally taken by surprise at the strange feeling of discomfort I experienced afterwards, as I came out of the theater and started processing the world in color again. It was a little ugly... a little disappointing, somehow... less substantial. It took me a few minutes to get used to seeing the world in color again.

Sadly, B&W photography is now close to a lost art form. In its heyday, film cinematographers had to be pretty skilled to make things look great with monochrome photography - there was a lot of stuff in terms of lighting and blocking that had to be done differently than when you film in color.

But to get back to the point - if there is a compelling story, it is probably going to be fun to watch, in color or black and white, widescreen or Academy ratio, 3-D or 2-D... there are so many ways to tell a compelling story.

7. GeneralCeel Jedi Master

star 2
    I'm pretty sure that Citizen Kane would have been in color if it were an option at the time. Same goes for silent films.... they had no other option. This isn't to say that they didn't do the best they could with the technology they had. But i'm with Lucas in the belief that he has the right to bring his own art up to current standards. I might not be so forgiving of studio entities messing with the work of a director, but as long as the director is around.... its their's to mold.
  8. _Catherine_ Force Ghost

star 4
    [image=http://www.escapestudios.co.uk/assets/Uploads/_resampled/VideoPlayer480270-Irvin-Kershner.jpg]

;)
  9. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    My son and I saw it this afternoon. Loved it! I saw TPM in the theater four times in '99, but today's 3D viewing was a superior experience. I think they did an excellent job with the conversion. The podrace and lightsaber battles were great, as I had expected they would be. Many other various shots looked amazing as well. One effect I hadn't thought about ahead of the viewing was how the holograms of Sidious would look; because they show a transparent, projected image, they absolutely pop off the screen in a very cool way. It was a great experience just to see SW on the big screen again, with sound so loud you can feel it... and the 3D just added to the whole thing. Very cool also since my son (5 years old) is a big fan but had never seen SW in a theater before.

Also, I loved seeing the new CGI Yoda... he looks SO much better than the old TPM puppet Yoda. I've only seen clips of this change online before today, since I don't have the Blu-Rays yet.

The audience in the theater was very into it. I didn't detect any negativity towards the film, or laughter at the wrong times. One interesting observation about one of the only parts of TPM that I don't like (the eeopie fart scene with Jar-Jar): to my relief, none of the many kids in the theater laughed at that scene.
  10. MandalorianDuchess Jedi Master

star 3
    Uh, actually, it was an option at the time, at least technically speaking. Movies had been made using 3-strip Technicolor since 1935. But it was very rarely used back then; in all of the 30s and early 40s only a handful of movies were made that way.

Even well into the 50s, many movies continued to be made in black&white. The only thing that killed B&W movies, well into the 60s, was TV: many directors might have preferred to have the option, but Hollywood was already thinking about the prospective sale of TV rights.

11. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    I have to agree with Alexrd. The 3D was a cool effect to try out, but it just didn't feel natural. I'll certainly see the next five episodes in 3D, just to experience it, but at the end of the day the effect feels gimmicky to me and does not hold a candle to watching a regular-style movie.
  12. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    ^ I don't think I'll ever buy a 3D TV, for that reason. But for the right type of movie (SW definitely included), 3D in a theater is pretty cool if done right.
  13. ewoksimon Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I saw it at midnight at my local theater and it was woefully meager in attendance. There were probably fifteen people total there including myself. Nevertheless, it was as engaging an experience as I could have wished for. I reveled in the great scenes and the subtle (the shot where Shmi hugs Anakin inside the hovel is deeply moving to me).

More than anything, seeing TPM affirmed for me that the entire saga is truly meant to be seen on as big a screen as possible with the best audio system available. I've seen TPM endlessly since 1999, but I truly felt like I was rediscovering it while watching it on a screen that massive, especially in regards to the pod race (which I submit is one of the ten best action scenes in the last fifteen years), the space battle (which I usually am indifferent to), and of course, the three way light saber duel. The 3D was tastefully used, and implemented nicely when it needed to be, especially as I had mentioned in the space battle which was truly remarkable. I'll still say that the two best uses of 3D remain to be Martin Scorsese's Hugo and the Star Tours ride at Disney World.
  14. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    Twice now I've been, and I do have to say RPX 3D was better than RealD 3D.

RealD3D:

I sat maybe three seats to the right of center (so essentially center) and I felt that next time I'd sit to the left. There was some slight fuzziness in character shots and I noticed a tiny "pinhole" effect in the upper middle screen. This was with the Maul glasses.

Tonight: RPX 3D.

I sat 2 seats to the left of center and felt well centered. Less blurriness,although it was slight in both viewings, but "more slight" in this one. Glasses were the normal recycled ones. I'd rate this experience higher than the first - it just seemed more "normal" with the goodies of 3D where one would notice it, and where not obvious, scenes still had greater depth to them.

How much of this difference was due to the screen itself, I don't know.

Different theaters, Friday 10pm and Saturday 7pm - neither theater was full. Maybe 50%.
  15. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    The point is, it wasn't made in colour. And forcing colour into the movie wouldn't make it any better, because it wasn't made with that in mind. Same thing for 3D. While it looks interesting and not bad, I prefer the 2D version of TPM because it looks natural and not forced.
  16. lovelucas Force Ghost

star 4
    Saw it last night with two of my sons. A grandson (he's six and a hard core prequel fan and knows the stories like a fan would) was suppose to come with us but he said he didn't wan't to see Qui Gon die..and didn't want to hear it either.

We LOVED TPM in 3-D. It's just beautiful and detailed. You notice things you never saw before. Some of the shots/scenes seemed to have been made - even back in 1997 - for 3-D. Yoda looked fantastic. and for all who seem to turn everything good into a slam, both Jake and Jar Jar were essential and entertaining parts of the story and fit right in there. There were a ton of kids in with us and they absolutely love Jar Jar and related to Anakin. So cool - so many kids and they were mesmorized.

and now I can say I really DO love podracing.
  17. lovelucas Force Ghost

star 4
    Also - the show was totally sold out, to the point where they asked everyone to scoot over. We were elbow to elbow and when we exited there was a very, very long line waiting to come in for the next show.
  18. Hogne Force Ghost

star 1
    Thank you! Those were my feelings exactly! It's the worst 3D movie I've seen so far. Nothing was in focus, and it was a strain on the eye. I was so bad in places that it distracted from the movie.

As for the movie itself, I'm not so harsh about any more. This was the first time seeing Star Wars in the theater together with the offspring. Maybe that helped, because I look a bit kinder on that film now than I did 13 years ago.
  19. GeneralCeel Jedi Master

star 2

Bah, you know what I mean!
  20. GeneralCeel Jedi Master

star 2

Oh and "steaming pile of bantha poodoo" is not an opinion. Its a playground insult. Here in the adult world we qualify our opinions with evidence
  21. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    I'm wondering if people's impressions of the 3D depend on where they are sitting. All of the films I've seen in 3D (and they aren't many - POTC4, Avatar, TPM) I have sat in the same seat in the cinema. It's roughly center screen, first row of the balcony (so I'm straight on to about the lower third of the screen) and no one in front of me. The only film I really had a complaint about was POTC4 because of the dark scenes. If you were unhappy about the 3D in TPM, where was your seat in relation to the screen?
  22. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Hey, hey, films, not fans.

Anyway: Here is my review.

If you disliked TPM to begin with, then TPM with a mild headache is probably not going to help your opinion of the film any. I'm not going to do a review so much of the film (I hope we're all clear on whether or not we like a film made nearly a decade and a half ago :p) so much as the 3D aspect.

That said, the 3D in TPM is of a pretty conservative nature. The only times things really pop off the screen is when they're just going to do so by default-Anakin using his magnetic wrench thingy to grab his Pod racer's engine coupling was the biggest one I noticed. Another thing-when the film is dark, it's REALLY dark, and when it's bright, it seems somewhat brighter. TC-14 is kinda grayish as opposed to silver now.

People have said the holograms look better now; I didn't really notice any particular difference, for what that's worth. Here's my main notes on the film:

-Having Episodes II and III done now makes the interpersonal relationships a little more interesting; I can't help but wish Qui-Gon would take a good, hard look at Palpatine on the landing platform and just decide to cut his head off.

Palpatine and Amidala are more interesting, too; what he does with Anakin in ROTS is EXACTLY what he does with Padme in TPM; he manipulates her into acting exactly as he wants her to.

The added depth-which is the chief focus of the 3D conversion-makes things interesting. I mean, as a Star wars nerd I've always known that a TF ship is supposed to be 2.2 km wide, but that was pretty abstract for me. Now the insides of the TF command ship are positively labyrinthine; it looks like it just goes on forever. Nice to be able to gauge how far away stuff is.

23. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    Fixed. ;)
  24. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    lol. Of course. :p

Edit: One thing I remember from the original premiere: There used to be quite a distinct little hush with no noise or image between previews and the actual movie. I guess theatres don't do that anymore. I kinda miss it. Not having it there makes the movie seem less special.
  25. Yodaminch Force Ghost

star 5
    Noticed this as well. He and Darth Maul really looked great in their Holograms. I saw it last night with my best friend. The first time either of us saw it was my birthday party in 1999. So both of us were excited to see it again. Overall, it was what I expected. I found a lot of spots to add more depth as mentioned but a lot of shots seemed much more clear. Compared to the disastrous "Clash of the Titans" conversion that I saw, this was so much better done. As others said, there's also something about watching Star Wars in a theater.

I do hope AOTC will be Imax 3D though. Maybe ROTS as well if we're lucky.
Moderators: Bazinga'd