main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Phantom Menace pre-release leaks

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by hotcarl333, Oct 6, 2014.

1. hotcarl333

hotcarl333 Jedi Knight

Oct 6, 2014
    Hey there,

Long time lurker, (f)irst time poster, be gentle.

I was wondering if anywhere on the net exists where one could see leaks from the set of Phantom Menace (and, I guess, Ep. 2 and 3) with some contemporary reactions to said leaks? Even if it's through the Wayback Machine, I'd be very interested. What with the recent Ep 7 leaks, it's interesting to compare what we see now vs. what we see/what the final movie was like. And so on.

This shot seems to be from a spy camera:

[​IMG]

And I gather many things like it exist, I just don't know where to look. I remember hearing in the Secret History book that a rumour went about that a bunch of footage from Ep 1 was out of focus as well.

Thanks for reading,

Namaste.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    Welcome to the boards.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any websites or remember seeing many photo leaks during the prequel era. The only knowledge of leaks at all that I remember from the prequels were story related leaks and rumors that would come out every now and then.

The closest thing I can remember to early photos or that sort of were:

*A set photo of the character Aurra Sing leading up to Episode I. I remember a lot of rumors and speculation about the character being this big deal and that she would reappear in Episode II as a major villain. Of course, this never happened, but I always assumed it was some early script idea that was abandoned or something.

*I vaguely recall people online posting pictures of the hut on Tatoonie. I don't recall if it was Anakin's house from Episode I, or Uncle Owens house from Episode IV(or even some photo that was altered, I honestly don't know/remember). People were speculating about how the markings of the roof of the hut matched Darth Maul and there being some significance to that.

*I remember when the trailer for Episode I came out, people claiming the poncho thing Qui Gon wears on Tatoonie was the same as one sitting behind Obi-wan in Episode IV.

I know that's not exactly what you were looking for, but that's the closest thing to leaks I remember; although it's very possible I was just unaware of them at the time.

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. hotcarl333

hotcarl333 Jedi Knight

Oct 6, 2014
    whostheBossk likes this.
  4. hotcarl333

hotcarl333 Jedi Knight

Oct 6, 2014
    Hello. Bump! Anyone have any ideas?

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    You can look in the inactive forums on this site for episode 1,2 and 3.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    "So, George, the teamster with the umbrella is supposed to be digitally painted in later with a what?"
    "Nevermind, Natalie. Just keep your eyelines straight."

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  7. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Good article about Buttercup Valley. Really great stuff to see an up close list of pics imagining being there not knowing what the film would be about. I thought there would be a lot more stories on leaks? I just remember all the talk about who would train Anakin so early on and where are the Stormtroopers. One of the first images was the Naboo pilots walking up the ladder to aboard their ships and of course Maul and all his mystery with the double bladed lightsaber. I wish I was on the prequel spoilers like I was the AOTC days, but I'm sure it would have been totally different. I may actually go an almost spoiler free for Episode VII.

8. TheDayman

TheDayman Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2017
    Here are a few old blog posts and articles I managed to dig up from the prequel era
    TPM (couldn't find articles for these)
    Liam Neeson would become the Emperor
    Liam Neeson was playing Yoda
    Qui-Gon was Anakin's father
    AOTC:
    Jet Li playing Boba Fett
    http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/no_boba_fett_played_by_jet_li_81944.asp
    Christopher Walken playing Darth Bane
    http://www.theforce.net/episode2/story/rumor_wars_separating_fact_from_fiction_75771.asp
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/6431
    ROTS:
    John Rhys-Davies voicing Grievous
    http://www.themovieblog.com/2004/09...-voice-work-in-star-wars-revenge-of-the-sith/
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/18421
    Yoda Order 66 scene
    http://www.killermovies.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-305934-yoda-will-fart.html

9. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    Some rumors I remember was Kenneth Branugh up for the role of young Obi-Wan with Sophie Ward up for the "Female Lead".

I also remember reading Anakin would win the pod race (duh) but that as a reward, Jabba would give him a lightsaber![face_dunno]

MarcJordan likes this.
  10. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    At the time of release for ROTS, a workprint of the film was leaked onto the internet. This seem workprint also became the badly mistranslated bootleg DVD that started the "do not want" meme.

11. BattleDroid1138

BattleDroid1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 6, 2000
    One of the first set reports I recall reading was that Liam and Ewan were fighting skeleton like beings. Similar to something from Jason and the Argonauts.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The first reports I heard were along the lines of "Obi-Wan Kenobi and his Jedi Master were sent to rescue some queen." I did hear shortly after that the queen later became Anakin Skywalker's wife and Luke and Leia's mother.