main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Phantom of the Past (Completed 6/7)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tych_sel, May 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Alright where did your other readers go... hey guys a couple new posties in here... come take a peek :D

2. ShaydremMoon

ShaydremMoon Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2002
    I'm here!

Great posts!

It is a little strange seeing 'Han' and 'Skywalker' together, but hey, I'll bet Luke's having a harder time with it.

3. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I didn't reply to this? :confused: Hrmph. Well, let's fix that, shall we? Ah, young Han - a rebel just like his namesake. As to Lara's interloper, though...geez, who IS this guy???

4. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    You'll see that there is more to the world than their appears to be, PLJ. And I wouldn't have any suspense going if I told you his intentions, now would I? And of course, thanks for the up.

Glad you've enjoyed yourself, Shaydrem. I never had actually thought about what it must be like for Luke to hear that.

Yup, Han can be just as much of a rebel, as you pointed out, Sebby. He's also not too bad a pilot. Regarding Lara's interloper, well, you'll see...a couple of posts from now.

Since a couple of people really focused on Han, who's ready for some more?

Han completed his meditation, a little shaken by what he had seen. He knew that he would need to tell somebody about this, but that would mean admitting that he had taken the swoop out. And that, in turn, would mean that he would probably receive yet another lecture from his father.

The sun was just beginning to set as Han set the swoop down in the hanger. He pulled off the helmet, turning to look out at the sky. As the sun set, the colors began to shift as the clouds reflected and refracted the light. This was, without doubt, Han's favorite time of day, partially due to the fact that the shifting colors reflected, to him, all the mysteries of the universe that awaited him. His grandfather would probably call this "looking to the horizons," but Han didn't care. He loved it. He was so caught up in the moment that he didn't hear the footfalls of another person entering. He spun 'round as he heard the sound of a throat being cleared.

Oh, sithspit, Han thought, as he caught sight of the other person. Standing before him, her arms crossed in front of her, was his grandmother. Her once red-gold hair had now gone almost completely white, with only a trace of gold left lingering. Her green eyes, however, were just as penetrating as they had ever been. And right now, they were focused directly on Han. I'm in a deep bucket of Hutt drool, Han thought.

"You were out on the swoop again, weren't you?" Mara Jade Skywalker said. It wasn't a question.

"Yes," Han said, wondering just how angry his grandmother was.

"How many times have you been told to at least tell someone where you're going if you're planning on taking that swoop out?"

"I've lost track, Grandmother."

"Yet you didn't."

"Sometimes I just need to get away from here," Han said. "Sometimes I feel like there's so much depending on me. I guess I'm just not enough of a Jedi not to let the pressure of being a Skywalker get to me."

"Not enough of a Jedi? Han, do you know how many fourteen-year olds receive actual lightsaber training?"

"No."

"Then I'll tell you. One. Your grandfather has enough faith in you. So I think you need to have a little more faith in yourself. I also think that Luke would understand just what you're going through."

"So you're not mad at me?"

"I'm not mad," Mara said. "I am, however, a little disappointed. And," she paused, "I think you're going to need to explain to your parents just what you thought you were doing."

++++++++++++

That's all for now. More to come once I get it written!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Mara is the feared ogor of the jedi. Great posts. I put this off til rh rd was finished. Will be keeping up from now on.

6. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    Hehe, Mara the foul-tempered old bat... [face_laugh] Well, I certainly sympathise with Han, not feeling like he's good enough to be all he can be. I liked his reflection on the sunset, though.

7. BlackCougar

BlackCougar Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2003
    all caught up I like this story when will there be more?

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Great Mara- lay guilt on the poor kid when he's feeling lost and confused.

I wonder what Han saw that got him all worried? Guess w/ the cat out of the bag that he took out the swoop he'll have to spill his guts :D

9. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    I wouldn't say that Mara's the ogre, yoda. But she also isn't going to let Han run around half-cocked, that's for sure.

Glad you liked the sunset bit, Seb. As for Han, yeah, he does have to live up to a lot. And Mara will certainly be around to prod him if he starts going off in the wrong direction. Which is not to say that there is a right direction... Okay, I think I got just a little too caught up in The Matrix Reloaded tonight, having gone to see it for the second time.

Glad you liked it, BC. As for when there will be more, well, see below.

He may have to admit to taking the swoop out. Whether he'll reveal what he saw or not is another question entirely.

And now, who's ready for a bit more?

Three students floated about a foot off the ground, their feet crossed, and their eyes closed. The brown robes they wore moved only slightly as a slight breeze wafted in through an open window. Before them, clad in a similar robe, only slightly darker, stood Jacen Solo. His brown hair had gone slightly gray, primarily near the temples, which only bore a trace of brown. "There is no emotion," Jacen said.

"There is peace," the three trainees said, finishing the line from the Jedi code. This type of beginning was something that they had grown used to. While others might have started differently, the students knew that Jacen's lessons tended to be steeped in philosophy, and usually rose from something that, on the surface, seemed simple.

"Yet without emotion," Jacen said, "how can a Jedi maintain compassion?"

"The emotion referred to in the code is any strong emotion," said Liana, a young woman from Gallinore. Her jet black hair was in complete contrast to her somewhat pale skin, but matched perfectly with her eyes, which were currently closed.

"Does it?" Jacen asked. "Or would we merely like to think that, in order to maintain our dedication to the code? Is it not possible that the code is written as a guide, and not a rulebook?"

"To assume that paves a way to the Dark Side," Liana replied. "One could state then that anger, when not overpowering, is useful."

"Isn't that true, though? As long as we maintain control over our emotions..."

"We maintain balance," one of the other trainees, Runek, said. "And by maintaining balance within ourselves, we maintain inner peace."

"Yet what if we get so caught up in maintaining the balance that we let it slide away?" Jacen asked. "You all know that at one point, I renounced using the Force because I felt that I tread to close to a path of darkness. I later found that such a decision would have, if I maintained it, caused disaster."

"So how are we supposed to know when to maintain balance, and when not to? Anakin Skywalker gave into his emotions, his love for Padme Amidala. It led him to the Dark Side."

"But it was his emotions that ultimately brought him back from the Dark Side. Had he not cared for his son, the Empire would probably still rule the galaxy. Darth Vader died because of Anakin Skywalker's emotions," Jacen said, as he began to walk in a slow circle around the students. "A Jedi must balance the use of the Force upon the blade of a vibro-ax. Slipping too far into emotion can lead to disaster. But what good is a Jedi who feels no sympathy? No compassion for others? How is such a person better than one who tries to draw power for himself?"

++++++++++++

That's all for now. I've got the next post handwritten, but probably won't be able to get it typed up until tomorrow night. Gotta work mañana.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

10. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Jacen's the new Yoda. I'd hate to have him as a teacher.

11. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Here's an up so others might read tonight.

12. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    Oy, geriatric Jacen...Force help us all. :p He's getting confusing in his old age.

13. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    You'll recall that Luke has done this sometimes himself, yoda. And all he's really asking them to do is think through the matter.

I don't know if I'd call him geriatric yet, Sebby. As for confusing, well, can anybody truly understand the Force?

I decided to rework part of the handwritten post, but I did end up writing this part up. Remember those Chiss twins? Well, here's their introduction.

The shuttle was a standard Imperial design, much like the Tyderium that had been used to penetrate the Imperial defense at Endor. It seemed odd to Ben as he stood at the edge of the platform that this design was still in use, even sixty years after the Empire's downfall. The lower wings began to rotate, swinging upward as the shuttle came in for a landing. It circled the landing pad once, as the wings completed their rotation, now almost touching the top stabilizer. The engines shut down, and Ben stepped forward as the ramp lowered.

As the shuttle's passengers emerged, Ben felt suddenly felt Anakana's presence as she joined him on the landing pad, and realized that she had managed to sneak up on him again. "How did you do that?" Ben asked, while the two were still out of earshot.

"I felt them in the Force," she replied, smiling. "And I'd say just in time," she added with a grin that reminded Ben of his uncle, Anakana's grandfather. The two Chiss approached Ben, and bowed at the waist, almost in unison. Their brown Jedi robes seemed a strange contrast to their pale blue skin.

"Master Skywalker, Master Djo" the one on the left said.

"I prefer Solo," Anakana said, "Apprentice..."

"Yor'ithi'csapla," the apprentice replied. Since they had been training at one of the satellite facilities, they were not technically Padawans. "You may call be Thicsa. I apologize, Master Solo. I was under the impression that on Hapes it was the mother's name that was considered to be the surname of any children."

"It is, under normal circumstances. But as any student of galactic history knows, my family is not known for following precedent."

"Your cousin sends her greetings," the other Chiss said, extending a datapad to Ben. "This contains a report from her on our progress."

"I'll look this over," Ben said, taking the datapad and nodding to the apprentice. "Then I'll decide just how we can aid you in your training. For now, I think it best that you get a chance to acclimate yourselves to Chandrila."

"New arrivals?" Ben heard from behind him, and saw his father slowly approach.

"Master Skywalker," the two Chiss said, this time addressing Luke.

"Welcome to Chandrila," Luke said, with a nod. "If you care, it would be my honor to show you around the facility."

"No, Master, the honor is ours," Thicsa said. "If you would give us one moment, Master." His twin was already retreating back into the shuttle, presumably to inform the pilot that they would return for their luggage following the tour.

++++++++++++

That's it for now. Hopefully, I'll get the next part typed up tomorrow, and posted tomorrow night.

'Til then, may the Force be with you.

Tych_sel

14. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Jacen is the new Yoda and nice introduction

more soon?

15. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Interesting twins. Is one of them Anaka's or was it just the term used for all students that age?

16. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    Oooh, lots of new characters. I wrote a short story once in which the Empire retired the Lambda-class shuttles 'cuz the Rebels kept using them for raids. ;)

17. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    I wouldn't say that Jacen is the new Yoda, but he will try and get his students to expand their idea of what is possible, JF.

These are the twins that Jaina sent, yoda. So yes, they are indeed interesting. Ben's certainly going to have his hands full. As for being an apprentice, it is just the term used. (I've always thought the whole "Jedi Student" idea seemed a little wierd.)

Gotta love those Lambda shuttles. They make for the perfect transport. You never know who's inside, Sebby. As for new characters, well, just wait. We'll be seeing the new baddie soon, as well as probably a little more of Ben's wife, Tiola.

As for now, well, I think it's time we check in on Lara.

Lara looked at the oncoming man, and wondered, not for the first time since his appearance, whether she might have miscalculated. She wondered if she might have pushed him just a little too far. She recalled one of her lessons with Master Corran Horn.

"Remember," the graying former CorSec officer had said, "that everyone you encounter will have a breaking point when it comes to ideas opposing their own. Many will only let you prod them so far without violence."

"But how are we to know what that point is?" asked Ranak, a green scaled Rodian trainee, and one of Lara's frequent partners when it came to sparring under the watchful eye of Master Mara Skywalker. Master Horn's response to the question had been vague, something that Lara thought all Masters must learn before gaining the title. In her present situation, though, Lara realized that she might have done well to recall it before now.

"You'll just have to trust the Force," Master Horn had said. "However," he added, "you won't need the Force to tell when you've gone beyond that point."

Now, Lara realized that she might have gone beyond this man's breaking point. Cut off from the majority of galactic civilization, this man probably was used to getting his way when it came to confrontations, based upon his size. She looked at the knife in his hand, and wondered if she would fade when she died. To her surprise, the sharp blade didn't slice into her chest, but rather effortlessly through the material binding her hands.

"If you will come with us, Jedi, perhaps you will have a better understanding as to why we seek to be left alone. You will realize why we ask that you and your kind allow us to live in peace."

Peace? Lara thought. She couldn't recall any peace since she arrived on the infernal world. Her hands free, Lara rotated her shoulders a few times to get the blood flowing once again. She shook out her hands, trying to get rid of the pins-and-needles feeling caused by lack of circulation while her hands had been bound. The other had, after sheathing the knife, turned away, the rest of the group following him into the jungle. Lara did likewise, realizing that if nothing else, she might be able to keep these people from making an ill-advised decision.

++++++++++++

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

18. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    I like Lara's character. I wonder what she will learn on this mission...

19. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    oh good post I wonder

more soon

20. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Humm... so Jacen's very preachy to his kids- giving them the complete circle of emotions and their possible consequences.

Ben's utilizing that old hunk of junk ship, eh? Good lord, you think the Jedi could've found some extra hidden credits to buy a better rig. Oh well- waste not want not.

And Lara gets to see what these people's problem is- hopefully they don't turn things around ala the ewoks and try to cook her! :eek:

21. ShaydremMoon

ShaydremMoon Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2002
    Okay so Leia's dead right?

Great posts! Sorry I missed a couple.

22. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    I think there is certainly a surprise is store for Lara, yoda.

Glad you liked it, JF.

Did I imply that Ben was using the shuttle? If so, I apologixe. It was actually sent from Csillia. As for Lara, well, I doubt she'll face a roast.

I haven't worked that out yet, Shaydrem. But it is certainly a possibility.

And now, here's a bit more.

"Failure is not an option," was the last thing the bounty hunter heard.

A pair of worker droids hauled the carcass from the room, and the sole occupant sat back in the chair at the end of it, her elbow upon her knee, and her forehead resting upon the heel of her hand. This was the fifth hunter that she had gone through, and none of them had been successful. In fact, it seemed as though the Jedi were becoming even more alert with each attempt.

The problem, as she saw it, was that the Jedi would detect a hunter before said hunter even got close to the quarry. Yet, she reasoned, she couldn't trust this assignment to a droid, either. She wished that these were the old days of the Empire, with the armies of skilled bounty hunters to be called upon. Because what she needed right now was a hunter with the skills of Boba Fett.

She shook her head, and with it the fantasy. Reality check, she thought. She rose, the outer robe billowing around her as she left the room, heading for the secure chamber she reserved for research. She mentally crossed the name of the now deceased hunter off the list, and moved to the next name. She leaned forward, allowing the monitor to bathe her face in a slightly blue glow.

Intriguing, she thought. Most intriguing indeed. The next hunter was supposedly from the world of Kamino, a world which she had never heard of. Someone from outside the so-called Republic? Perhaps, she thought, she had finally found the answer to her problem.

++++++++++++

That's all for now. More will be coming tomorrow.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Ohhhhh a possibly Sithly woman villain. Very cool :D :D

I like female baddies [face_mischief]

Kamino, eh? Interesting twist, wonder if it will be Jango the 9,801st. :p

24. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    good post more soon?

25. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Could this evil lady be POSSIBLE SPOILER HIGHLIGHT TO READ:A Daughter of Eclepsa?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.