main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seattle, WA Phil Cousineau Workshop: Joseph Campbell at the Movies

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Rishadq, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rishadq

Rishadq Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2006
    Guys,

I found this pretty interesting event through the newly formed Seattle Mythology Meetup group. It sounds pretty interesting, and I've emailed the organizer to make sure us Star Wars nerds are welcome :) Answer -- most definitely! Any Joseph Campbell fans out there? This sounds right up your alley!

Q

When:
    Saturday, December 9, 2006, 10:00 AM
    Where:
    Good Shepherd Center
    4649 Sunnyside Ave. N
    Seattle , WA 98103

Info/Map
    Description:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When:
    Saturday, December 9, 2006, 10:00 AM
    Where:
    Good Shepherd Center rm. 202
    4649 Sunnyside Ave. N
    Seattle , WA 98103

Info/Map
    Description:
    Joseph Campbell at the Movies

Workshop: Saturday, December 9, 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
    Good Shepherd Center, Room 202, 4649 Sunnyside Ave. N., Seattle
    $10 members, $15 nonmembers

4 CEUs

Joseph Campbell is well known for his contributions to the realms of mythological studies. His work has helped millions of readers to see the role of the mythic imagination in literature, religion, and psychology. But less well known is his enormous influence in the modern storyteller's cave of the movies.

In this workshop we will explore Campbell's relationship to the mythic dimension of film. We will discuss the movie stars that influenced him as a boy, such as Charlie Chaplin and Douglas Fairbanks, his role as President of the Creative Film Foundation, in New York, in the early 1950s, and his extraordinary impact on directors such as Stanley Kubrick, George Miller, Chris Columbus, and George Lucas.

Throughout the workshop we will explore, through the use of film clips, stories, and open discussion, the mythic structure of movies, the use and abuse of archetypes in film, the role of dream in moviemaking, and the phenomenal popularity of the hero's journey model in Hollywood, and the resurgence of mythic themes in contemporary films such as Whale Rider, The Matrix, The Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe, and The Lord of the Rings.

Phil Cousineau is a writer, filmmaker, photographer, teacher, sports coach, and adventure tour leader. He co-wrote the award-winning documentary film, The Hero's Journey: The World of Joseph Campbell, and edited its best-selling companion book. He has published eighteen other books, including the internationally acclaimed The Art of Pilgrimage: A Seeker's Guide to Making Travel Sacred, and Once and Future Myths: The Power of Ancient Stories in Modern Times. Cousineau has written fifteen documentary films, including Forever Activists, nominated for an Academy Award in 1991, and most recently, with Huston Smith, A Seat at the Table: Struggling for American Indian Religious Freedom (2004). He has also been a frequent consultant in Hollywood, being interviewed most recently for the Special Edition DVDs of Constantine (with Keanu Reeves) and Superman: The 60th Anniversary Edition.

Event fee:
    USD15.00 per person

http://starwars.meetup.com/78/calendar/5262224/

2. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Do you have a link for this info? I'd like to see for whom the CEU's are approved. If I have to pay for CEU's, it might as well be something fun like this.

Editfound it http://mythology.meetup.com/55/calendar/5245451/ doesn't help. Doesn't say anything more about the CEU's. It's probably not approved for my profession anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.