main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PhilCon 2003 - December 12-14, 2003

Discussion in 'Archive: King of Prussia, PA' started by Calixte, Jun 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    We have been invited to attend this con in December. I have been in contact with the Chair and we will be making plans for a charity aspect in conjunction with our attendance. Please save the date! More details coming over the next several weeks. We have plenty of time to plan for this so I know we can make it even better than WWE!

:)

PhilCon

2. Hugh_Casey

Hugh_Casey Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2003
    Greetings, Gentlebeings!

My name is Hugh Casey, and I am the chairman for this year's PHILCON! It was great having the chance to meet so many of you at WWE this past weekend, and I am more than happy to invite you all to this year's PHILCON, from December 12-14 at the Marriott Center City Hotel!

For those of you who are not familiar with us, Philcon was the FIRST science fiction and fantasy conference IN THE WORLD, and has been held annually in Philly since 1936. We are an non-profit, fan-run con, and all of our proceeds go to support the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society (PSFS... and no, we don't own that big building on Market St.! <grin>). We try to cover all aspects of science fiction and fantasy fandom, including literary, media, art, gaming, costuming, and whatever else fans are into. We bill ourselves as "The Past, Present, and Future of Science Fiction and Fantasy", and we try to live up to our motto with every con.

I will be keeping in contact with Jenni so that we can coordinate anything that our groups may want to do together, either before or at the con.

Again, it was great to meet so many of you at Wizard World, and I hope to get to see more of you. If you have any questions about Philcon, see our website at www.philcon.org, or email me at chair@philcon.org.

Take care, and see you all in December!

3. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Calixte...even though this event ends on my 30th birthday...I believe that NJO will want to show up in force...

You can post this on NJO if you want. :D

4. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    I will be collecting all of the information I have and sending out formal invitations to sister and brother SW fan groups in the next week...stay tuned! We can help make this a great con for the regional area!

:)

5. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    that is good news Jenni.

Look forward to it. ;)

~J.Sat~

co-Prez/NJO

In my dreams here, I have seen the destruction of the Jedi. The death of the Republic. I have seen the Temple in ruins, the Senate smashed, and Coruscant itself shattered by orbital bombardment from immense ships of impossible design. I have seen Coruscant, the seat of galactic culture, become a jungle far more hostile and alien than any on Haruun Kal.
    I have seen the end of civilization.
    -Mace Windu, Shatterpoint

6. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    Update:
    There is a LOT of information in this post, so please take your time and read it thoroughly. If you have questions, please feel free to email or PM me.

PhilCon 2003 will be held Friday, December 12-Sunday, December 14, 2003 at the Philadelphia Center City Marriott. In addition, we have secured a discounted group admission rate AND a discounted hotel rate IF you sign up before September 1, 2003. After that date, rates will increase and I will not be able to guarantee any discount. At this time, no comped tickets will be issued because of budget considerations since we are getting the table for free. Room rates will be an astoundingly low $81/night and admission will be about $40 for the entire weekend if you sign up by September 1, 2003.

Programming focuses on Sci-Fi literature, but also includes a 24 hour Gaming Area, with both scheduled and open events; a 24 hour Film and Anime room; an Art Show; a Dealer's Room; and an Annual Masquerade Costume Competition (Costume Guild sanctioned) on Saturday evening and a Hall Costume Contest. Please visit www.philcon.org for more information. They have an excellent FAQ that answers most questions about the convention.

Ways We Can Participate:
    1. Costuming Panels: Hugh, the Chair of the convention has asked that some of us be available to sit on those panels. More details to follow soon.

2. Table Volunteer: Philly Outer Rim has procured a table (free) to promote our chapter and other regional chapters who wish to assist at the table. If you do assist us by staffing the table at the convention (2-4 hour shifts only) we will allow your Chapter to place your literature on the table. :)

3. Toy Drive: We are planning on having a toy drive to assist a local charity. It *is* close to Christmas after all. More details as we get them.

4. Party Room: Help plan an 'After Masquerade' Party for Saturday night. We'd like to have some sort of theme and make it an annual event at the con.

IMPORTANT: I need to confirm registration procedure with the Chair of the convention. Most likely Philly Outer Rim will take your registration information and submit it as a Group so we can guarantee the low hotel cost and the group admission discount. There will be more information forthcoming.

We will talk more about the planning aspects at our meeting on August 23, 2003 - Summer BBQ.

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hmm...I was just looking over this thread and since it's close, RRS might be interested in attending. :D

8. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    Hi Steph,
    I notice that you are now in college. Is that true of the rest of your chapter as well? (I ask b/c we don't officially include anyone under 18 b/c of liability reasons) If so, then I officially extend an invitation to your chapter to participate in the con with us. If your chapter comes that will be 6 regional chapters coming together for a weekend of fun - DB516, SWNYC, NJO, York/Lanc., us and you. :)

9. Skidder

Skidder Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2000
    Count on me to volunteer for working at this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.