main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phillip Pullman- Anyone Read His Books?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Wild_Huntress, Aug 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Has anyone ever read anything by Phillip Pullman? He's a really fantastic author, and I was under the impression that he's quite popular too. He wrote the His Dark Materials and Sally Lockhart trilogies, plus some other books too. If anybody has read any of these I'd love to talk about them with you.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm on the second of the His Dark Materials books. He's a good writer -- I get the feeling his books don't need a whole lot of "editing."

I'm looking forward to his novella in the LEGENDS 2 anthology.

3. Jedi_StarDust

Jedi_StarDust Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2002
    I read His Dark Materials trilogy--it was a beautiful work of writing--and I found that the way Dust was incorporated was very ingenious on Pullman's part. :)

*StarDust*

4. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I started to read The Golden Compass, and it just didn't catch my interest. That's not to say anything about his writing style; he's an excellent writer, but I'm very picky. I can see why people laud him as a modern-day Tolkien, though Materials didn't quite draw me in like Lord of the Rings did.

5. Khomeini_Ayatollah

Khomeini_Ayatollah Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2002
    I've read the Dark Materials trilogy. The first are masterpieces, and whilst the third is still awesome it is much more wierd than the first two.

6. Wild_Huntress

Jul 15, 2002
    Yeah but I still love them. Usually it's hard for me to get into weird stuff but those books are awesome. I LOVE how people in Lyra's world from HDM have daemons- such a cool idea.

7. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I just loved 'The Amber Spyglass'. I really like how he made the mulefa so obviously people, but it did take a lot of thinking about. I also think the idea of daemons cool, I really want one!

8. obi-wannabe_1138

obi-wannabe_1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2002
    Yeah, me too! Lol. I WISH I had a daemon. Mine would probably be a cat, a Siamese. What do you think yours would be, Livi? ;)
    Another thing I love about Phil Pullman is that he's great with the suspense. You really don't know what's coming off till the book's resolution.

9. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I read his dark materials trilogy. It was really, really good.

10. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Obi, I think mine would be a cat too! Only tabby. Mainly because cats are my faveourite animal. Mind you, it could be a dragon. (Hey, Pantalaimon does it in book one)

11. Wild_Huntress

Jul 15, 2002
    Really? Don't remember that part. It'd be fun having your daemon be able to change shape but I'm already past the age! And I agree, these are really good books.

12. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    I wonder what shape my daemon would have settled in?

Yes, I've read His Dark Materials and loved it. Plus I've read TheWhite Mercedes which was heartbreaking. And four of the books about Victorian English, the Sally Lockhart Trilogy and The Tin Princess. He is a fantastic author.

13. obi-wannabe_1138

obi-wannabe_1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2002
    Yes he is. I read the first two Sally Lockhart books and definitely want to go onto the third one asap. He's got a classy, fascinating writing style.

14. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    I read His Dark Materials and it has got to be one of my all time favourites. The man is a genius. One of the best writers in a long time.

15. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    obi-wannabe-- Definitely read The Tin Princess pretty soon after The Tiger in the Well. I had about a three-year gap, and realized a third of the way through the book that the characters overlapped. :) Most importantly, review the characters from The Ruby in the Smoke.

16. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    I read about half of The Golden Compass, but just couldn't get into it, but I still think the man is a decent writer...

17. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    NEVERMIND. Knightwriter, thank you for helping me notice

18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    That one is locked, and this one will do fine.

19. Wild_Huntress

Jul 15, 2002
    Uh... Ooops? There was already a topic on this subject? Hmm... Well I DID look for one and missed it apparently. Err... Anyway, I'm looking forward to finishing Sally Lockhart although I'm reading way too much other stuff currently.... One of these days.....

20. Darth_Bolo_O_I

Darth_Bolo_O_I Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2002
    I have read His Dark Materials repeatedly, and love them! I have been looking for his other books, and will get back to you when I find some...
    Anyway, I love the infinite impossibilities of the skills of the subtle knife, and though it would be fun to have, the 'badge of the bearer' doesn't seem to be that much fun... (losing two fingers? ::shudder:: )

Later!

21. JediSenoj451

JediSenoj451 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2001
    The Dark Materials Trilogy is superb. I read The Gold Compass twice...And I'll admit it! I shed a few tears at the end of The Amber Spyglass. :(

I tried reading a few other books by Pullman but did not enjoy them very much...

~*Senoj*~[/hl

22. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

Ah Pullman, in my opinion his Dark Materials was fantastic - it really got me into the story and I thoroughly enjoyed the series.

They had many strange twist and turns and was very thought provoking.

All in all a very good read... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.