main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN Phillip Wise (Majority owner) has gone ****ing crazy

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Stackpole_The_Hobbit, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    See the link in my sig for details ... This is the most ****ed up thing ever to happen on these boards, including the banning of the dreaded letter 'f'.

2. Preachrman007

Preachrman007 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2002
    Ok, Stackpole. I'll be the first to say it. I don't have time to wade through ten pages of posts. I read the first few posts and I don't understand. Please summarize what this is and why it's messed up. Thanks.

3. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Well, the post is linked, so all you have to do is go to the post that's a different colour than the rest ... :p

But basically mods will have to give private information (real name, address, possibly phone #) to the owners, but why, they don't know. This could possibly be extended to cover CR's as well.

EDIT: Just saw this from Gandolf the Raven:
    Bane, we all resign and the boards get shut down, because he doesn't want to deal with them. He was pretty explicit about that.
    See the thread in my sig for more information :p

4. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    It's official: A ****load of mods, including the head admin and a few RSAs have been demoted.

5. Lord_Skywalker

Lord_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    this just blows lotsa demotions yesterday

6. Incom4

Incom4 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    If TF.N does shut down the message boards please feel free to come over to the Indy Knights Forums to regroup your club. We cannot offer you a home but we can offer you shelter till you get your own boards up.

7. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
  8. WedgesOtherNephew

WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Yes, thanks. I guess the higher ups are going to have to work this out or shut it down...:confused:

9. Lord_Skywalker

Lord_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Thanks Incom

Man Krash left as well

10. Edric-the-grey

Edric-the-grey Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2003
    Oh, for crying out loud!

We should all be pals because of our mutual interest in Star Wars. This kind of *&*! belongs in the banking world!

I admit, I do not know all of the issues. However, I feel that it boils down to:

1. EGOS
    2. Lack of Communication
    3. Personality conflicts

These boards should be fun. They should be a means to communicate with other fans and break up the daily grind.

I doubt, very seriously, that there is a SCi-FI fan out there who has not been picked on because of being a Sci-fi fan. These boards, and the fan community that it trys to cultivate, should be above the pettyness of the real world. Now, it appears that we must fight among ourselves. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to get a handle on the problem and then find a professional way to calm everyone down and move on.

Peace (not likely)

Ambassador Edric

PS: Diplomacy IS the art of the possible

11. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Yeah, I saw Krash was out.

And Edric, I think it boils down to more of this:

Philip Wise is a (insert periodic symbol for Copper here) (nt)

12. Edric-the-grey

May 28, 2003
    ^^

Stacky,

Well, then, by God, we need to get organized and do something about this!!!!!!!!

Make it so!
    Engage!

Edric

13. TC517

TC517 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    Way I see it:

This has been handled wrong by both sides. We have problems like this at school all the time. The administration makes a new rule or demand with no reason why, and then students go crazy over it. Before long, a simple request (usually out of the pricipal's controll) turns into huge drama and ruins the learning environment.

I believe that Mr. Wise, (who is thinking with the business side of the brain) made the mistake of going about things the wrong way, but we taking things too far. We as board members will end up ruining everything. Without these boards, the fanforces across the nation could all go away, theforce.net, which is THE best source for Star Wars fandom, will loose it's soul and creative source, and we will only realize in the end that it all went to far.

I do give support to all mods who were demoted, but I will not take part in any action that jeopardises the FanForce or these boards. I hope this issue is resolved by those in which it involves, THE MODS, and goes away as quickly as it came about.

14. Edric-the-grey

May 28, 2003
    ^^ Well said. Very, very well said.

Edric

15. Preachrman007

May 12, 2002
    Being only a periphial part of this community (I read but rarely post) I want to make sure I understand all of this.

Philip Wise (whom I assume is the owner of ign, which hosts theforce.net and the boards, correct?) wants personal information on the Mods, CR, etc.

The Mods, CR's, etc., don't want to give said information and that's what all this is about?

And because they don't want to give said information some have been demoted and some have quit?

Have I got it all?

16. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Almost. Wise owns TFN, not IGN. The mods are more concerned with the ease with which it could be hacked, as Mod Squad forum is done every week or so by DarthPsychotic (aka Darthy). The mods pointed this out to Phillip Wise and Wise dismissed them as paranoid and didn't answer their questions about what it would be used for and other things. About this time, many mods took on black colours with grey text and a line through in a sign of protest. 24 hours later, people began getting demoted, mostly if they did not send their information. A few were reinstated, but most were demoted and not given the red colours that are the custom for mods/managers emeritus. Now, they have been given the red.

*waits for the tl,dr post*

17. Preachrman007

May 12, 2002
    Ok. First of all, what's a "tl,dr post"? Remember I'm not fluent in geek...

18. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    too long, didn't read :p

19. Preachrman007

May 12, 2002
    Disclaimer: Ok. I'm gonna weigh in here on something that totally doesn't affect me one way or the other, so I'm really just blowing smoke and you should feel free to not pay attention to this post if you disagree...

That being said, WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL? So Phillip Wise (the OWNER of our little playgound here) wants to know who's keeping an eye on the boards. I completely have no problem with this. For legal reasons, I would want the same thing in his position.

To sum it up, and to avoid a "tl,dr" post :p , it's his sandbox, people, if you don't want to play by his rules, take your shovel and go home.

*Gets off soapbox and waits for Stackpole's "fu" post.

20. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    That's not the problem. If he wanted the info and was going to keep it on a post-it note at his house, I'd have no problem whatsoever. However, he's planning to keep it on a separate server, and there's no security with that. See my post about Darthy and hacking ModSquad.

Point is, there are people here who might get banned for posting something inappropriate, but they're very ... well, crazy. They might want to find these mods who banned them and kick their asses/rape/kill them. Or their kids/sisters/etc. They are not concerned with one Texan having their home address, they're concerned with someone hacking said Texan's private site and coming to their house to do horrible, horrible things to you.

You said you'd want the same assurances were you the owner. What if you were the mod and you had someone at your house you wanted to protect?

21. Preachrman007

May 12, 2002
    Disclaimer: See above.

I'm not that paranoid.

As a minister, I have transients, drunks, and bums knocking on my door all the time asking for money. Last summer it was a couple per week. There are times when my wife is home and I'm not. Does that bother me? Yeah, a little. Does it worry me enough to quit? No. Have I forbidden my wife to answer the door? No. Put up a big sign that says "No bums, please." I wish.

Yeah, the possibility is there. But that's the life that I've chosen for myself and my wife. If I thought the risk was too great, I'd find another job. It's a choice I've made. The mods make the same choice by being a mod.

Should ol' Phil put this info on a secure server? Yes, definatly. I don't see any reason not too. But just from the few posts, I've read I think that this has been blown way out of porportion. A bunch of people worrying over "could be"s, "maybe"s, and "what if"s.

22. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
  23. Edric-the-grey

May 28, 2003
    Let's all join hands and sing "Puff the Magic Dragon" :)

Hugs and Love,

Edric

24. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    That being said, WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL? So Phillip Wise (the OWNER of our little playgound here) wants to know who's keeping an eye on the boards.
    That aspect of it...I understood (and was willing to give the info for) but there was other circumstances that made me come to the decision of resigning as RSA (my current VIP status is a "day-to-day" thing IMO)

One of my Cleveland guys did some background searching on this subject, and the website we RSAs were REQUIRED to submit or information on:

QUOTING:
    I?m going to come right out and say what the problem is between the Mod Squad, the Old Folks Home, and an element of site ownership. An element of site ownership has told the entire Mod Squad that we must provide him with our real names and addresses and such by registering at another message board and then passing on our user names there to him through G-S. If we do not, we get demoted. All future moderators will have to provide this information. This may be expanded to cover City Representatives as well.

The Mod Squad and Old Folks Home have two major issues.

1) The security of the information and the purpose behind the information gathering. As everyone is probably well aware, the Mod Squad is about as leaky as the Titanic. This has fostered worries about how secure this information would be, even though it?s being stored elsewhere. No system is perfect, and there is the worry that that information might come out and what might be done with that information. And we?ve yet to be told why we need to give it (though the guess that it is something along the lines of ?if LFL sues, it?s on the shoulders of the moderators?).

2) The way that this has been handled by site ownership. More than anything else, I think that?s what?s at the heart of this. The feeling in the Mod Squad and Old Folks Home is that an element of the site ownership does not care about the message boards and the users and moderators here in any way at all. We as a group have not been provided with reasons why the information is needed; we feel that we?ve been threatened; we feel that we?ve been insulted; and finally we feel that we?ve been ignored.

i posted the following HERE (look for the highlighted post), looking for answers:
    www.theforce.net is registered under TF.N LLC, with an address i will call AddrA. It's listed in WHOis info, public domain.

Also listed under AddrA: www.newwookiee.com. This domain is listed on a name server, www.wise-advice.com.

The following domains are also listed on the www.wise-advice.com name server:
    www.toshistation.com
    www.rebelscum.com
    www.collectinghq.net
  25. www.r2d2central.com[/ li]
    The first three of those addresses are registered to a contact at AddrB. www.r2d2central.com is currently listed as expired and consequently does not list an address.

i checked out www.collectinghq.net. they have affiliate sites listed. among others listed are:
    www.toshistation.com
    www.rebelscum.com
    www.r2d2central.com

now reading the terms of use on www.collectinghq.com item #4:
    Any communication or material you transmit to the Site by electronic mail or otherwise, including any data, questions, comments, suggestions, or the like is, and will be treated as, non-confidential and non-proprietary. Anything you transmit or post may be used by CHQ or its affiliates for any purpose, including but not limited to reproduction, disclosure, transmission, publication, broadcast, and posting. Furthermore, CHQ is free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how, or techniques contained in any communication you send to the Site for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to developing, manufacturing, and marketing products using such information.

now reading the Privacy Policy at www.collectinghq.com
    CHQ gathers two types of information about users:
    ? Information that users provide through optional, voluntary submissions. These are voluntary submissions to receive our electronic newsletters, to participate in our message boards or forums, to email a friend, registration for collection t
  27. Preachrman007

May 12, 2002
    Thanks, Krash.

All of this has raised one interesting point, though. I guess I wasn't really aware the tfn was "owned" by anyone. I just assumed it was a loose confederation of fans that eventually grew. Maybe one of you insiders can explain.

Is it a profitable site? Is Phil in this soley for money? Is he a SW fan? Do the people who make the posts on tfn's main page, collecting, etc get paid? (I assumed they were volunteers.) This is throwing a whole new light on my favorite site.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.