main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rocky M, NC Philosophical Debate on Religion **Enter At Your Own Risk**

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Lodreh, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
    We conceived both of ours on my birthday. :D

2. Kaiser_Fisto

Kaiser_Fisto Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2004
    It was the Force, Riff. [face_alien_1]

3. Entropy

Entropy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    I'm pretty sure it was something other than the force. ;)

4. eddie-wan-kenobi

Jul 14, 2003
    Funny, thats what my wife calls it. The FORCE!!! :D

5. Kaiser_Fisto

Kaiser_Fisto Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2004
  6. eddie-wan-kenobi

Jul 14, 2003
    Come on now Kaiser, dont go gettin all skidish on us now. :D

7. joe-da

joe-da Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    Oh my!

8. Lodreh

Lodreh Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    So let me see if I am understanding you correctly... you just "roll the dice" until you here she is pregnant then think about becoming a father?

I suppose I am over analyzing this but everytime I am "with" a woman I imagine her telling me she is having my child. I then weigh whether or not if I feel as though I could be with her through that. So far I have not found anyone I'm that comfortable with. So I am left believing after I find the right woman, then I'll know when I'm ready to start a family. Or does the desire to start a family cause one to find the woman?

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force.
    If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

9. eddie-wan-kenobi

Jul 14, 2003
    Deep thoughts here. I think it depends on the person, Lodreh. I just assumed that we would one day have kids, wasnt sure when, but were married six years before we even started trying. Once we talked about it and decided we were "ready" I gave it a LOT of thought. Would I know how to handle it? Would I be a good Father? Well, after two little Padawans I still question those things. I guess its a never-ending thing.

10. JediRiff

JediRiff Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2002
    Hmmm.... how do I explain this? Ok, lets put it this way, I wasnt "rolling the dice", so to speak. I... uh.... Ok, ask me about it off the boards. Not going into it here. :)

11. joe-da

Aug 7, 2002
    rolling in the hay, mayhaps?

12. r2fu2

r2fu2 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2004
    sorry mom :D :p

13. Drakkor_Knightmoon

Drakkor_Knightmoon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2004
    well lodreh you have an interesting perspective on life in general and personally i am pleasently suprised that you have a thought pattern like that. It is interesting, but i have a very similar thought pattern about kids and about sex in general (am i allowed to say that word? sex?) but as we all know i am not that experienced in life or love. we all (ok maybe not all) tend to think that the significant other that we are with we will end up spending the rest of our lives with. Heres a question for you guys: Do you think that it is normal that a couple just doesnt really get in fights? or even barely argues?

14. eddie-wan-kenobi

Jul 14, 2003
    Normal? Define normal. Unusual? Yes. My wife and I hardly ever argued/fought for years. Boy did that change about 3 years ago. It all hit the fan at once and I questioned many times whether we would make it. Luckily things are better now. Do we still disagree? Yep. But at least we know how to deal with it now.

15. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    Not to sound like a smart ass but it really depends on the couple... I believe communication is the key ingredient for any relationship to succeed. I've have had several relationships fail and we never fought... one failed because we grew apart... two others fell apart because she felt as though I was too good for her... which has led to my rather cynical view on relationships as of late.

Better questions would be internal, "Is it 'normal' for you? Is there anything you want to say but can't for whatever reason?" These kind of questions are sometimes hard to answer but if you find you have to hold anything back it will come to bite you in the end.

Lod-Reh SaJon ~

16. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    Honestly, if you stay with someone long enough, you WILL argue. Its like night and day, its nothing you can do to stop it. But, it can be a healthy thing, just dont let it get out of hand.

17. Drakkor_Knightmoon

Drakkor_Knightmoon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2004
    good points all of you

18. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    Sol I believe it was this thread in which you first started to lose ground so let me help you out here. This is a debate thread where we bounce ideas around. Ideas like beliefs do not have to be proven to be thought to be true.

Telling people something they hold as true is wrong without proof is counterproductive. Also anyone proposing an argument for the existence and/or belief in God without capitalizing the "g" will not be taken seriously in most cases.

Small things like this started you off on the wrong foot with a good majority of the people here. You can not undo the past, however I am telling you this now so you may learn from it. Personally, I don't care if you agree or disagree with anything I say on this or any other thread... however, you must first learn to listen in order to be heard. Tone is not easily communicated through this medium so you must you the tools available to get your meaning across.

Another thing, a lesson I should attempt to master myself, never post when you are frustrated or angry. Try to take the time to proofread what you type and edit your post as needed to fix something that slips by.

Lod-Reh SaJon ~

19. Sol_Badguy

Sol_Badguy Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 25, 2004
    I dont think I was ever angry. Everything I typed, i typed with a smile(so to speak). :) But I realy am baffled by the fact that I lost ground for not capitalizing. I didn't know my posts were being graded.

20. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    I dont think I was ever angry. Everything I typed, i typed with a smile(so to speak).

Not what I heard... but whatever it's not important.

But I realy am baffled by the fact that I lost ground for not capitalizing. I didn't know my posts were being graded.

You lost ground because you failed to make yourself understood. A forum such as this is used to communicate ideas. If these ideas are poorly expressed then I do not take them serious. Goes back to, "If you don't care enough about your own idea to express it clearly and concisely then why should I?"

Also this is just a pet-peeve of mine... even though I do not feel a connection with God I still capitalize the "g" out of respect for those who do. That kind of mutual respect will go much further here than screaming, "You can't understand!"

Lod-Reh SaJon ~

21. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    I just heard the most remarkable thing today... proof that God exist... Beer. "Beer is proof God exist and indeed loves us." How can I argue against logic like that? ;) Enjoy your Monday.

Lod-Reh SaJon ~

22. joe-da

Aug 7, 2002
    and foo-fooing... don't forget...

23. Sol_Badguy

Sol_Badguy Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 25, 2004
    It just makes sense.

24. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    I am refocusing this thread back to it's original intent... some of the world's greatest thinkers have left their marks in the pages of prose... I give you William Blake:

"The Vision of Christ that thou dost see,
    Is my vision's greatest enemy.
    Thine is the Friend of all Mankind,
    Mine speaks in Parables to the blind.
    Thine loves the same world that mine hates,
    Thy heaven-doors are my hell gates."

Some could rightly argue that Blake was a Maniacal Mad-man who hated Christianity... though we now understand that he hated the Church and the concept of Organized Religion.

I have heard from many people who are Christians yet do not attend Church regularly. Is it the practices of the Church that keeps people from attending or is it the petty social aspect? Eddie-wan mentioned once that he hated how a Church would brag about it's building fund and encourage people to donate more.

Have all Churches become so wrapped up with their own survival they look to their own interest instead of helping those in need?

My Grandfather delivers 'Meals on Wheels' to the needy every other week. The food is handed out in a Church parking lot and volunteers take a route to get it to those in need. This is a great program... trouble is only one Church in Rocky Mount has it.

Lod-Reh SaJon ~

25. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    Hmmm... well, that is something to think on, for sure. And Eddie-wans thoughts roughly sum up mine, as well. I dont believe that I have to attend church every Sunday to save my soul. I think that so long as I believe, I teach my kids to believe, and try to live as good a life as possible, that should be good enough. However, my oldest son is in a church preschool, and I like that because they do teach him things about God that I feel gives him some valuable information. But, on the other hand, I dont attend that church anymore, because I think alot of the people that attend have a holier-than-thou attitude that I simply cannot and will not deal with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.