main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rocky M, NC Philosophical Debate on Religion **Enter At Your Own Risk**

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Lodreh, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entropy

Entropy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Lodreh wrote: Is it the practices of the Church that keeps people from attending or is it the petty social aspect?

Honestly, it's probably pure laziness more than anything else. Going to church is kind of like going to the gym. You know it's good for you, but once you get out of the habit of going, it's hard to get back into it.

I've been a regular churchgoer in the past, and expect to be one again in the future. A large part of the reason I don't attend regularly is that my opinion of what makes a good Christian is slightly different than the doctrine of my denomination and radically different from most practitioners of my denomination. Of course, deep down, I know that's not a good reason. I should have just joined another denomination, but (for reasons of my own) I haven't done so yet. Of course, I really have no excuse for not having at least done some serious research into the different denominations. But that's where the laziness kicks in.

However, to answer the specifics of your question, it's some of both. The practice that annoys me most is the tendency to preach rather than to teach. The social aspect that annoys me the most is the petty bickering and backstabbing that takes place in any organization. Often I find that the only thing I have in common with most of them is the most basic tenets of Christianity.

2. Lodreh

Lodreh Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    If so many practitioners of faith no longer feel the spiritual connection with a place of worship, then how are they still considered Christians? Is it the basic moral principles they continue to share?

I hold several moral ideals to be good. Yes, they coincide with the Christian faith because they were instilled into me from my parents who are both Christians. I believe the Bible was a book written by man as a collection of parables on how to try and live your life. So I believe it is "true" from a certain point of view.

So ultimately it comes down to... if you believe in the "One God" then you are an accepted practitioner of faith... whether you are a Christian, Jew, or Muslim? or is there more to it?

Just thinking out loud...

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force.
    If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

3. Entropy

Entropy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    If so many practitioners of faith no longer feel the spiritual connection with a place of worship, then how are they still considered Christians?

Because The Church and a church are two different things. The Church is the living entity made up of the practitioners of the faith. A church is a building where members of The Church meet. The place of worship isn't nearly as important as the code of conduct/lifestyle.

By the broadest theoretical standards, you are only an accepted practitioner if: 1. You believe in the God. 2. You believe that Jesus was the Son of God and the only path to salvation. 3. You make some form of public proclamation to that effect. Of course there's more to it than that, but those are the basics.

4. JediRiff

JediRiff Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2002
    Entropy and myself are thinking along very, very similar lines. :)

5. Lodreh

Lodreh Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    1. You believe in the God.

That was my last point, to believe in the one true God.

2. You believe that Jesus was the Son of God and the only path to salvation.

Under the Christian doctrine we are all children of God... but I get your point... and this is one of the tenants I do not agree with.

3. You make some form of public proclamation to that effect.

Yeah, I have ran into this one before. Strike up a conversation and every other phrase is "I am a Christian"... though honestly most of the people who talk like that behave radically different than their self-proclaimed faith would dictate.

Of course there's more to it than that, but those are the basics...

Lol, there always is...

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force.
    If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

6. JediRiff

JediRiff Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2002
    I think what Entropy is really refering to with a "public proclamation" is that you are willing to admit being a christian to anyone who might ask, or something along that line.

I am, and I would tell anyone that. However, its not in my normal vocabulary, and I dont cram it down anyones throat. You cannot make someone do something they dont want to do, you can only help encourage it. ;)

7. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
    Ditto what Riff said. I am a Christian and will tell anyone who asks. But, I am a prime example of what Lodreh said. I proclaim it, but don't live it and ultimatly will have to answer why. But I don't proclaim to be a saint and will tell anyone I have MANY shortcomings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.