main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Philosophical Themes in the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo Base, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Lucas indicated on a few occasions that the sequel trilogy would engage with philosophical issues. The first two trilogies occasionally touched on questions of what is truth (Obi-Wan's "certain point of view"), morality (Palpatine's opera house speech about good being a point of view and Obi-Wan's "only a Sith deals in absolutes") and attachment (Yoda's advice to Anakin.)

I am creating this thread now for when hints or spoilers arise that indicate which philosophical themes the trilogy will, in fact, engage with. I am hopeful that there will be something of substance in these films and that Abrams and co will be brave enough to engage with some philosophical issues and have not abandoned this aspect or make it too simplistic. I hope for something more than a few vague statements from Yoda.

If Luke has changed a lot, questions of what constitute's one's identity and whether a person's selfhood/personality is fixed or ever changing is one aspect that they could touch on. Is some essence of the Luke of today the same as the callow youth from Tatooine or is the notion of a fixed selfhood an illusion?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    - You're better off with chaos than with dictatorship
    - emotions are a good thing as long as they're not malevolent

3. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    I feel like there is already a thread pertaining to ideas like these.

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I've been thinking consistently since 2012 that the ST will deal with a more neutral view. Arguably, the PT focused more on the dark side and the OT more on the light. I've found that there's a huge lack of attention to the grey side of the Force. I feel that the ST will be, in many ways, sort of a medium balance of PT and OT

KitsterAKABobaFett likes this.
  5. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    That would tie in if there is a more ambiguous view around the nature of good and evil and they may draw on notions of moral relativism (a little less crudely than Palpatine did in his opera house speech, I hope though!)

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "Anakin, if one is to understand “the great mystery” one must study all it’s aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Jedi. If you wish to become a complete and wise leader, you must embrace a larger view of the Force".

7. Digladio

Digladio Jedi Master star 3

Jan 7, 2003
    Rumor has it that when Luke finally turns up at the end of the movie, he's basically a dark Jedi, so it will be interesting to see where this leads us in VIII and IX (provided Luke survives). I doubt they'd want to repeat the whole Anakin/Vader thing by having Luke be a completely evil Sith Lord, but there's definitely room for new philosophical dynamics with this new "grey" Luke.

My first question in regard to this matter is what happened to Luke to make him dark and unheroic? He's been missing for thirty years, so what happened to him in the meantime? Was he just digruntled and burned out by the state of the galaxy? Were there too many expectations placed upon him? Did he become a hermit only for it to effect his mind in some way? Perhaps the galaxy no longer accepts Force users (in general) given what's happened during the rise of the Empire period, which forced Luke into hiding. The other side of the coin is how will Luke get out of the rut he seems to be stuck in?

8. Starryganpost

Starryganpost Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2014

Where did this rumour come from? It hardly seems plausible given what just happened on Skellig....

On the broader topic, I'd love to see some more exploration about the Dark side vs. Light side, done in some interesting ways, possibly bringing in some moral relativism. It's most likely to come in a training scene, but maybe I'm just itching to see that some more. The Yoda scenes in ESB, especially the cave, are my favorite from the whole saga so that might explain it.

Echo Base likes this.
  9. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    It seems to me that the OT dealt with the immediate, the present or the center. Although the PT was the backstory to the OT, it was always about the future. What will be. By this logic I think the ST should be about the past. It should deal with the big, open questions. How did we get here, and understanding that, how do we resolve it (the problem).

The title "The Ancient Fear" hints at the possibility of this.

LunarMoth and Echo Base like this.
  10. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I just now realize that The Ancient Fear is just the opposite of A New Hope. Sounds more like a working title.

Echo Base likes this.
  11. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    The nature of good and evil would seem to be the big one

Echo Base likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.