main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phoenix: Die Another Day (NJO AU, drama, OCs, some K/J) -- COMPLETE May 24, 2004!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Trickster_Jaina_Fel, Nov 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2002

The First had used the speech style of the living/Dying.
    What's the significance there?

well, when the Spirits are generally talking, their speech pattern is different - more dignified, serious, and just plain more *truthful*, even if it is vague. But here the "First" is letting his human tendencies sneak in. da-da-dum, something's changing.... [face_mischief]

and that's all i can say :p

I love how Jaina's being forced to open up and mature- going from a Jedi Knight to a Jedi Master.

well, jaina does well as a knight, but she's gotten away from being a Jedi for a while, which is definitely a hurdle she has to pass; i'm glad i'm displaying it successfully :)

~TJF

2. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    TJF:

But here the "First" is letting his human tendencies sneak in. da-da-dum, something's changing....
    Oooh :) I wonder what 8-} Thanks for explaining it to me...

and that's all i can say
    Are you sure? ;)

well, jaina does well as a knight, but she's gotten away from being a Jedi for a while, which is definitely a hurdle she has to pass; i'm glad i'm displaying it successfully
    Very successfully. Great job! :D

~LtJS

3. Lt_Jaina_Solo

May 27, 2002
  4. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    no problem! yes, i'm sure though you've already seen the summary....i don't why you need to ask me... ;))

If anyone checks this for notes, I'm working on a post and it should be up soon :) And....dun-dun-dun....we get into the plot/climax!! :eek: *isn't ready for another climax* *dies*

~TJF

5. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    New post :D

----------

?Just keep your mouth closed, and we?ll be fine,? Jaina told her apprentice.

He barely spared her a glance, as he was a little more preoccupied with fighting for his composure. Jaina had, with great trepidation, allowed him to take the controls as they pulled out of hyperspace. He was nearly jumping out of his skin, but the last thing he wanted was for her to know that.

?You?re a horrible actor,? she said bluntly, noticing the huge, crazy-man grin he tried to hide.

Tiran?s excitement made for a quick surrender. ?Just let me savour it.?

Rolling her eyes, Jaina nevertheless couldn?t help a flicker of pride and understanding. She would never forget the first time her dad let her take the controls. Her reminiscing was broken with a flinch. ?Look out for that ? ?

Tiran pulled them up and out of the way, just in time to avoid flying right into a tree. He winced. ?Uh, yeah, okay, maybe enough savouring today??

?Maybe,? Jaina agreed, smirking.

He glared at her, then returned to concentrating on landing. They came down with a suspicious wobble, and something shrieked quietly, but Jaina nodded in approval. ?Not too bad,? she admitted grudgingly. ?You shouldn?t take it down at such a sharp angle, though. The shaking?well, even you?ll learn, eventually.?

Tiran tried his best to hide his blush of pride. Compliments without an attached insult from his master were?rare. He didn?t bother to think about how much it meant to him, that he was doing well as a Jedi, and that Jaina would say as much. Although their relationship was slowly, grudgingly making room for respect, neither was ready to admit that out loud, least of all Tiran.

?Well, uh, thanks,? he grunted finally.

She ignored his words. ?Come on; the governor?s waiting on the waiting dais; wouldn?t want to send the politicians in a tizzy.? Her voice was soaked in mockery.

He frowned, a little confused; he had next to no experience with politicians. ?They wouldn?t?do anything, would they?? he asked, slinging his bag over his shoulder.

?To you?? She shrugged. ?Oh, probably not. You?re just a helpless pawn in the big bad Jedi?s nefarious ? and politically incorrect ? plots.? She paused and grinned over at him mischievously. ?Unless, of course, their daughters start up their chorus of hero-worship-crush sighs because of you.?

He blushed, and she laughed. It was too easy.

~*~*~

They survived the ?political? meeting with minimal fuss; it helped that Jaina had worn her ?Goddess? expression, the mockery dimmed enough to pass their inspection. Tiran fumbled with his titles, which Jaina had expected but not corrected. Seeing the governor and his counsellors? stare at Tiran, aghast by his informal (or too formal) behaviour, had made her day.

?You did that on purpose,? he sulked as soon as they were alone.

Jaina looked at him innocently. ?Who, me??

He rolled his eyes, then grinned reluctantly. ?Okay, so I might have slept through the protocol lesson,? he admitted.

Jaina snorted at the memory. She?d been watching, waiting for him to swallow the fly that hovered over his open mouth. ?Maybe. I hope you were awake when you learned how to pack everything into the one tent, and then separate the room, though; it would be tricky to set it up by myself, with just the Force to do it.?

?But the Force can do anything,? Tiran replied, mock-horrified. ?And so can my dear, all-powerful Master!?

She glared at him and flipped her hair. ?I said it would be tricky ? I didn?t say it was impossible. Never doubt a Goddess.?

He rolled his navy eyes and muttered something about ?pilot?s ego?.

Jaina scowled, taking it personally. ?What about mechanic?s prejudice?? she retorted.

Tiran raised his hands in surrender, but anger stirred in his blood. For a second, their conversation had been normal, even comfortable. Why did she always have to take offence? He refused to admit that his thoughts were hypocritical.

Let it go.

The words drifted through his m

6. Jaina_Rocks160

Jaina_Rocks160 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2003
    ~~*JESUS LOVES YOU*~~

That was Jag?
    At first I was kinda thinking that it was Kyp.
    Then again, it could very well have been Zekk, too. {but Zekk died with the other Jedi, right?}

Speaking of Kyp...when's he gonna come back in???

:D

Visions...ya gotta luv 'em!
    Garik does seem hovery...
    where does he get the time to send Jaina all these messages???

btw, a fair amount of cliffies is always good, but not too many, y'know? I have no real preference.

~*~*~

7. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    That was Jag?

yes

At first I was kinda thinking that it was Kyp

no...he was "killed" during the Eclipse Massacre, remember?

Then again, it could very well have been Zekk, too

no comment [face_devil]

and Kyp...he comes back in next fic :) at least, that's the plan. he might make a little appearence, but for now...yeah, he'll be in the sequel ;)

Garik does seem hovery...

he's worried about her.

where does he get the time to send Jaina all these messages???

hint: he's supposed to be sleeping :p that or it's a Senate recess...

as for the cliffies - well, uh....remember RotJ's climax? *wince* those are my climaxes. cliffies. if i can't make you worried, then I haven't written this properly ;)

~TJF

8. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Ooh good post..*restrains self from going on a rampage over Jag's death,* ;) Can't wait for more :)

Kyppie making an appeance eh? Eenteresting...

9. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    *restrains self from going on a rampage over Jag's death,*

thank you - I promise I'm not saying everything ;)

Kyppie making an appeance eh? Eenteresting...

oh yes [face_devil] not as much as another *COUGH* person...but he'll be there [face_mischief]

~TJF

10. Jaina_Rocks160

Oct 18, 2003
    ~~*JESUS LOVES YOU*~~

and Kyp...he comes back in next fic at least, that's the plan. he might make a little appearence, but for now...yeah, he'll be in the sequel

Oh, I see...
    *waits eagerly for Master Kyppie's return*

he's worried about her.

:p Who wouldn't be?

hint: he's supposed to be sleeping that or it's a Senate recess...

So every extra moment he has he's spending on Jaina...VERY interesting. Can't wait to see where that goes! [face_devil]

as for the cliffies - well, uh....remember RotJ's climax? *wince* those are my climaxes. cliffies. if i can't make you worried, then I haven't written this properly

Um...are you critisizing yourself?
    RotJ was super good, so...but you already know that.

Climax--
    *twittles thumbs and waits patiently*

{notice how I "patiently" wait for the climax, and "eagerly" await Kyp's return!}

~*~*~

11. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    So every extra moment he has he's spending on Jaina...VERY interesting.

I don't know what you're talking about *halo*

Can't wait to see where that goes!

uh...they run around and be friends forever? :D

Um...are you critisizing yourself?

never! :p I was just saying that if I didn't, then I wasn't...although I think DAD has turned into a bit of a flop...I took myself too seriously, with this fic...

*twittles thumbs and waits patiently*
    {notice how I "patiently" wait for the climax, and "eagerly" away Kyp's return!}

Good grief - there's all the proof I need. Throw in a romance, and everyone's happy :p

;)

*runs off to bask in Patricia and Dominic's messed up lives*

~TJF

12. Jaina_Rocks160

Oct 18, 2003
    ~~*JESUS LOVES YOU*~~

More soon????

Please???

~*~*~

13. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    You asked for it [face_devil]

The First Cliffie:

Tiran wasn?t quite sure what had happened in the past few hours; Jaina?s vague mutterings and abrupt departure did nothing to clear things up. The only thing that had stuck thus far was that the princess, his master, had just raced off on an unknown expedition, leaving him rather clueless. Despite her assurances that she would be back within a day, panic was beginning to set in. Hurried explanations had been scribbled on a datapad, including her com-link number but stress clouded his eyes.

What just happened? he wondered, looking around the tent blankly. And what am I supposed to do now? He?d help the refugees, supposedly, but to whom should he report? Jaina had also mentioned negotiating and soothing tempers ? but how the kriff was he supposed to do that?

Where?d she go?

~*~*~

To step off the launch pad took all of Jaina?s willpower and then some. Even then she trembled slightly, like a piece of flimsi in the wind. Her sienna eyes scanned the desolate landscape nervously, and memories flooded her.

Myrkr.

Her demons? home ? or, at least, their headquarters.

Barely aware of anything save the dead?s cries, she handed a traffic guard some credits to watch her ship. Her feet began moving, almost without her permission, out of the landing area. The path to the destroyed cloning facility, although the reverse of the one she?d travelled three years ago, was ingrained deep in her mind.

Jaina had heard that the blackened complex had been, ironically, changed into a memorial building for the Strike Team members. She had never gone to see it; in fact Jaina was quite sure that, of the survivors, only ?Queen Mother? Tenel Ka had ? but she had been the one to initiate its creation.

The thought only reminded Jaina that, of that hopeful, determined group, only she remained. Stupid, she berated herself mentally. Don?t think about it. This is confrontation-of-emotion, not detach-yourself-with-statistics.

Then stop right here and face the oldest problem,
    said a voice (not the one from earlier, but nevertheless familiar), and Jaina realized she was in a clearing.

Her mind froze momentarily before she stifled the rebuke and ran from the glade. She?d say goodbye to him later. Garik might think that kicking the root of the problem was the best way, but she intended to do a great deal of emotional gardening before she went back six years.

Barely organized ruin rose up in front of her, dragging her thoughts into the present. Her boots clapped against the stone, then quieted as she stopped.

I can?t do this.

You have to.

It?s so hard to let go?

We know. Go.

She stumbled along, as if someone had pushed her from behind. She kept her eyes on the ground, watching the dust and leaves rustle as she strode toward the centre of the building. Just take it one step at a time. You can do this.

All too soon, she reached the centre of the building. Dreading it, her head tipped back to take in the whole chiselled scene. Tenel Ka had spared no expense in its creation, and artists and sculptors had created a heroic tribute to the fall of several young Jedi, and the ones they had left behind.

Setting her jaw, the survivor stepped in front of Anakin?s image. He was off to the side, alone and defiant, going out in a blaze. Just over his shoulder, a faint design of Tahiri?s face watched.

Tahiri Veila.

I understood you, Jaina thought bitterly. Better than you ever dreamed.

It had never been talked about, the reason Jaina changed so much before the war; at first, it was because Jaina refused to speak about it. The reasons had changed ? to pity, first, and then to busyness and inability to explain away the death. They had said they were being understanding, but in actuality no one had known what to say when Zekk disappeared.

Jaina, for her part, had clung to the hope that he was still alive, long after she should have. Like Tahiri, she hadn?t wanted to giv

14. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    OOh interesting post, and terrible to leave it on a cliffie! :-D

I love your style with this story, very intriguing. Can't wait for more!

15. Jaina_Rocks160

Oct 18, 2003
    ~~*JESUS LOVES YOU*~~

Oh! Oh! Oh!

What? No!
    Ugh!

Ah!

More!

~*~*~

16. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    luny: I know [face_mischief]

Thanks! :D [face_blush]

JR: Bwahahahaha [face_devil]

It's coming......

But until then, you'll just have to wait ;) [face_mischief]

~TJF

17. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    Okay, I have almost 3 un-betaed posts written down, so hopefully i'll get at least one of them up by tomorrow :D

7 chapters and the epilogue to go! :eek: *hyperventilating :p* Just so you know, "Die Another Day" will probably be done by the end of May, despite how busy this month is getting for me. Let me know if you mind a break between DAD and "Heart of a Jedi" :)

Meanwhile....here's some teasers to keep you busy [face_devil]

Teasers:

A few years ago, Tiran had had his family and friends. A few years ago, he would have dismissed Solo?s prolonged absence as trivial.
    After Lin-Ta, nothing was trivial.

?She?s missing. Jaina?s?she?s gone.?
    ?Already??

Tiran?s imagination was going wild with the possibilities.

?You should know,? he said slowly, ?that Rialom is very adept with potions. He?ll convince her, or no one will."

Enjoy! ;)

~TJF

18. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    Not that you noticed, but I'm sorry for the delay in this update! My computer got hit by a virus and even the few times I was able to open the internet, I didn't want to risk my disc getting the virus as well. Sorry for the wait!

Oh, and I put up a few announcements in the last post that you might want to check out :)

----

It was late and Garik should have been asleep, but his eyes refused to close. He?d lain on the bed for several hours before giving up and taking up his project once more. Coruscant never slept, and the diplomat was able to bring up a shopping site and the room plans with little trouble.

With some quick arithmetic, a glance at his chrono told him that it was just dinner time on Glipta. When he was unable to remember what Jaina?s favourite, manageably-sized tree from Yavin 4 had been, he had his excuse to call.

He rolled his chair back to the mini holo-centre and dialled Jaina?s number. The screen hummed for several minutes before Jaina?s voice said, ?I?m busy, avoiding you or out of reach. Leave a message ? Goddess out.?

Garik clicked it off, smiling ruefully. Jaina had probably gotten sick of his mothering and turned her com-link off. It was the kind of irrational thing she would do, after all. Never mind that people might want to check in with her ? she didn?t want to hear anything.

The diplomat returned to his computer. It looked as if he?d be fixing up the new Jedi residence by himself.

~*~*~

It had been two days.

A few years ago, Tiran had had his family and friends. A few years ago, he would have dismissed Solo?s prolonged absence as trivial.

After Lin-Ta, nothing was trivial.

Jaina had been gone a day longer than she told him to expect, and (if she was telling the truth) there was an obsessed fan out there.

Tiran had not expected to be this worried.

The crazy, obsessed person was supposed to be a joke ? at most, the product of something in the food. When Jaina had first told her apprentice about the stalker, he?d informed her that she was insane. Someone on the Jedi warpath, he could understand. The past six years had made a bleak picture of the Jedi.

But someone who wanted Jaina to train them so badly that they had tried to kill Tiran for being in the same room as her? It made no sense. He couldn?t even believe this was his life anymore. It all sounded like some kind of bad novel.

The trill-and-buzz of a com-link hail entered Tiran?s consciousness slowly. It wasn?t the familiar, blaring horn that signalled his own device, and he stared around the room blankly before realizing that it must have been Jaina?s.

Just as it sank in that Jaina had left her com-link in her haste, the buzzing stopped. Tiran panicked. What if that had been Jaina? What if it had been someone who knew where she was? What if it had been that sick fanatic, demanding ransom?

Tiran tripped to the other side of the tent and rummaged around in Jaina?s bed covers until he found the small device. Fumbling in nervousness, he managed to hit the ?call back? button, and he waited impatiently as the com-link buzzed.

After a few rings, he heard someone pick up. ?Solo?? a man?s voice said clearly. ?Have you decided to stop avoiding me??

Not a kidnapper, then ? unless it was a trick.

?Who is this?? Tiran demanded, clenching and unclenching his left fist.

The other man paused before replying. ?You would be Solo?s?apprentice, Tiran Lee-droy, correct?? Without waiting for an answer, the man continued. ?I am Garik Klamath, a friend of Miss Solo.?

?Miss Solo?? Tiran spluttered, his paranoia fading to the background. He called Jaina ?Princess?, but only in mockery; she was one of the least?Lady-like women he had ever met! Who did this guy think he was, anyway?

Garik bit down on an angry retort. ?Might one assume you have an acceptable excuse for calling me ? on your master?s com-link ? at such a late hour??

?You called first,? Tiran replied stupidly.

?True enough,? the diplomat cut out. ?But why did you ret

19. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    You guys are killing me :p

bump^

~TJF

20. Lt_Jaina_Solo

May 27, 2002
    Oh, God. You are evil. Come on! That's an evil evil evil evil evil evil evil evil teaser! How could you do such a thing to us?!?!?!

Besides that, awesome posts! (Aren't you glad that I finally caught up? 8-} ) I love the interaction between Jaina and her apprentice- very believable. More soon?

21. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    I finally read all of that and I must say it is wonderful. Great story, great OC's, great Lin-Ta addition, great everything! Garik is the man, Garik all the way! Put me on the PM list, I want to read this all!

22. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    Lt: Oh, God. You are evil. Come on! That's an evil evil evil evil evil evil evil evil teaser! How could you do such a thing to us?!?!?!?!

[face_laugh] Well, I have to make sure you're not sleeping through it.... [face_devil]

Thanks! I'll probably be posting between....tomorrow....and....um, maybe tuesday? We'll see when the mood hits me ;)

Suzuki_Akira: :eek: a new reader! Yay!

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it :D

Hm....what is it about Garik that makes him so ridiculously popular? *pops aforementioned OC's ego before it can get too big as she wonders* :p ;)

~TJF

23. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Ooh excellent post Trickster! Loved Tiran's conversation with Garik. Gee, I wonder WHY he's so worried.. ;)

24. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    Thanks! The Rik/Tir convo was fun :D

And I don't know what you're talking about! o_O Garik's worried about his friend *halo*
    *cough* or at least that's what he's telling himself...

~TJF

25. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    It's a new post! bwahahahaha. And now you find out about Jaina's situation and get a look into the past. Enjoy [face_devil]

Words between / and / are spoken through the Force/a bond. The chunks in italics are (usually, anyway) from the past. You?ll know them when you see them ;)

/Hello, brother/

Tiran almost jumped right off the ground.

/Sorry, kid; I guess I should have given you a little more warning/

Before Tiran?s disbelieving, meditation-fogged eyes, his brother?s form appeared, grey eyes solemn under cocked eyebrows. ?But you?Molair, you?re??

Molair?s face fell. ?You thought I died. No?? The eldest Lee-droy son hesitated, then pushed on. ?I can?t really?remember what happened ? I only recalled who I am a short while ago.?

Tiran reached out to Molair, but he missed. His eyes were too blurry with tears for him to find his brother properly. ?By the stars, Molair??

My brother is alive! Molair is alive!

?Yes,? Molair beamed crookedly, ?I?m really alive.? Abruptly, his face became shadowed. ?But if you don?t hurry, I won?t be able to say the same about your?about Jaina.?

Tiran was only able to properly comprehend his brother because the image of a faceless Garik, storming and glaring, suddenly appeared in his mind. ?Jaina? What do you ? do you know where she is? Is she all right??

The princess probably would have rolled her eyes if someone told her Tiran was concerned, but the apprentice was far more upset than he had expected.

?I didn?t remember anything for so long. I?m afraid I fell in with a rather?dangerous crowd,? Molair rambled, apparently trying to explain ? or defend ? something he had done. ?One of the guys was obsessed with Jedi ? Jaina Solo, in particular. I?d been working with him for so long?I ? I got immune to it. I didn?t think he?d actually do something.?

?He did, though,? Tiran said flatly. ?He kidnapped her.? The mechanic swore under his breath, and the gruesome images danced in his head once again. ?What will he do to her??

Tiran didn?t want to know, and he hoped Molair wouldn?t answer, but the words came out anyway.

Molair began to pace. ?I?m staying nearby ? assisting him, I admit; I was hoping to help her. Better me than some of the?others. Rialom ? my?master ? seems set on Jaina training him. He will do anything to convince her.?

Tiran felt his insides bunch and knot. Jaina had told him that she would never train this?Rialom. Never. And if Tiran had learned anything while being trained by Jaina, it was that his master could be horribly stubborn. ?What will he do if she won?t??

Molair didn?t speak for a long moment. ?You should know,? he said slowly, ?that Rialom is very adept with potions. He?ll convince her, or no one will,? Molair finished, raising his eyes to Tiran?s.

Tiran gulped. ?Where are you??

Molair clasped his hands in front of him. With his blond-grey hair and black clothes, the man looked a little like Luke Skywalker from the old holos of the Rebellion days. ?Meet me on Myrkr, and I will lead you to them.?

~*~*~

It was all over. His world was nothing ? nothing, without Leila or Trihs. His wife and daughter ? both slaughtered in the middle of the town. Trihs had been splashing in the pool while Leila watched nearby.

Leila was cleaved in two when she tried to save their daughter, and the pool was red with her blood. Trihs drowned in the pool, her skin permanently scarlet from the blood.

He had come too late, prepared his surprise picnic off-world for too long. How could he go on, now?

It was all dead.

He wished he could say the same for himself.

~*~*~

Jaina came to slowly, painfully. A specific spot on the back of her neck felt like it had been attacked with a knife. The rest of her upper body throbbed, and it felt like shards of metal had been injected into her blood.

Somehow she got the feeling it wasn?t all from confronting the past.

?Rise and shine,? someone sang.

Jaina rolled onto her side, grimaci

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.