main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phoenix Suns

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    *whistles* I bet that team didn't have any problems distributing the ball.

actually, that team started 0-13 :p. but kidd wasn't there until just after christmas, when he promptly broke his leg (or something like that) and was out for several weeks. however, the team got it together, won ten in a row at one point and eventually made the playoffs, where they took a 2-1 lead on seattle in the first round before losing in five (out of five) games.

had all three of those key players been in their primes, nash and johnson could have become scorers and kidd could have become the primary distributor. that would have been about 60-70 points a night :p.

2. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    the suns crushed the warriors last night.

i really, really hope the suns can stay free of major injuries this season, which would pretty much be a first in suns history for one of their talented teams. every great team they've had before has been slowed by major injury at some point.

if they can stay healthy, i think they have the firepower and experience to finally defeat the spurs and overcome the mavericks.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    actually, that team started 0-13

Well, distributing the ball doesn't necessarily mean winning :p

What year was that?

4. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    they've disposed of three eastern conference division leaders in their past three games, one in crushing fashion. They're 25-2 in their last 27 games, and if not for a few blown leads early in the year, would be about 30-5, or maybe even 32-3. Looking back on 2004-05, it's probably for the best that they're not. No "will they get to 70 wins" garbage, and the same for Dallas. To underscore my point, the Suns' biggest loss of the season by eight points.

They're crushing teams right now, and i think we should demand a game with the Spurs or Mavericks. No team in the East is even close to the Suns.

5. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    In his two games against the Suns, Dwight Howard has a combined 14 points and 8 rebounds. :p

6. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
  7. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I wish a sportswriter would take the time to slobber over the Mavericks like that.

8. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    well, simmons has taken potshots at diamondbacks fans on several occasions over the years, and yet has shown a curious respect for the suns' history and fans during that same time period. he's said some so-so things about nash and the team itself at times, but has also had good things to say.

it's just nice to see one of my favorite sportswriters sort of sum everything up for my favorite team.

edit: as i feared, the suns came out rather listless tonight :p. game's still got plenty of time, though. here's hoping.

9. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    He did say the Mavs were the one team that could handle the Suns. So thats something at least.

10. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    My dad wonders (and rightfully so) why more teams don't follow the Suns' suit and hire a coach with European experience instead of hiring NBA/NCAA retreads like Bob Hill (Seattle). What Mike D'Antoni has installed is incredible.

11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    11 in a row now with a 100-91 tonight over houston. They didn't play particularly well, but managed to win anyway.

Both Phoenix and Dallas have a certain inexorableness or inevitability about them these days. You can play with them for awhile, but when the final horn sounds, chances are they win and the other team loses. They've lost 16 games combined all season, and something like four or five combined since late november.

12. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    How did Houston play? They came out on fire against the Mavericks last night, had them down by ten in the third. However, the Mavs had a surge and ended up winning 109-96.

Houston is actually playing pretty well, without Yao, though. I just saw they didn't have T-Mac against the Suns tonight.

You can't really be surprised that Houston lost to the Mavs or Suns, but they're only two games behind San Antonio. They keep it up, they'll make it to the postseason this year.

13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I haven't read anything that nausiating since The Catcher in the Rye, way back in 10th grade. :p

14. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Give me a break. He gave plenty of props to the Showtime Lakers (as well the 80s Celtics).

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Sure, but still, the slurping of the Suns turned me off from the whole article. Am I supposed to act with exact logic with every one of my posts here at TFN? :p

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    the suns and mavericks should just play right now. no other teams can really touch them.

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Thankfully, the NBA isn't run like the BCS, or else we would have that unfortunate situation.

18. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Since when are there hundreds of teams, in dozens of divisions, in the NBA, Neckbeard? :p

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    31-8 with a win tonight over portland. they've basically repeated their 2004-05 season to this point, with the difference being that they had their 4-5 game losing streak at the beginning of the season, instead of right about now, which is when they had it that season (nash went down for about four games and they lost all of them).

12 in a row now, with 13 probably coming up sunday against the T-Wolves. I can't believe i'm saying that, because i'm the most pessimistic fan on earth. But, it's how i feel these days about the suns, and i doubt i'm alone.

maybe the suns and mavericks will take in 25-30 game winning streaks into their March 14th meeting :p.

20. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I swear, ESPN had the two suckiest matchups possible tonight. :(

Sunday is going to be lay around and do nothing but be lazy day, for me, though.

Mavs vs. Heat leads nicely into the NFL conference games. :)

21. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    maybe the suns and mavericks will take in 25-30 game winning streaks into their March 14th meeting

That would be one heck of a showdown. Still, I'd expect both to lose before then. But it'll still be a great game.

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Just did some quick calculations: the suns' eight losses have been by a combined 40 points (none by more than eight), for an average of five points a game.

They've yet to be blown out or even beaten by double digits. i'm sure it'll happen, but that it's taken this far into the season is remarkable, and shows how misleading that lousy start was (which was bad, but only in the sense that the team needed time to come together; they still almost won most of those games).

i just pray that nash, stoudemire and marion stay healthy. without nash, it would all fall apart.

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

You got the point the anyway. :p

24. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    while everyone was busy watching Peyton Manning shove a giant cucumber into Tom Brady's ass, the Suns slaughtered the Garnett-less T'Wolves 131-102

13 in a row:cool:

25. Boomer_Athena

Boomer_Athena Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    There's a shocker! ;) They probably would have slaughtered the Timberwolves with Garnett, tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.