main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Photoshop Drawings

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by solojones, Dec 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I have fiddled around with fanart some before, but now I'm trying to actually do some that I can be proud of. I am not great at drawing by hand, but I've found that Photoshop drawing is a lot easier for me. This is my first art thread of any kind here. Comments and suggestions are quite welcome. Thanks :)

[image=http://www.noerf.com/irk/obilineart2.png]

I'd like to do some others before long.

2. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Looks great. Are you drawing with a Wacom tablet or mouse? Either way it looks fantastic. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Welcome to the FanArt Forum.

AG88

3. Omnis

Omnis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    It's good. However, your colors are not mating well with the lines. If you can see sharp details without the lines, then your colors should be cool. Like, on the nose and stuff, the cheek area should be a little darker where it meets the nose. Subtleties make a huge difference.

Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see your next composition and its progress.

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I used a mouse. I wish I had tablet but I don't.

Omnis, so you're saying that, in addition to the shadow because of the direction of the lighting, there should be additional shadow along the edges of the nose because of recession?

Thanks for the responses and the welcome :) This is not only the first thing I've posted but also the first drawing like this that I've done in photoshop at all, so it's good to hear some feedback.

5. Omnis

Omnis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    Pretty much, yeah. Start the shadow from the line and go outward. The way you have it, the area next to the line is lighter than the area surrounding the light spot. That takes away from the sense of naturalness or whatever you wanna call it.

That's pretty good for a mouse, btw.

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Glad to have you here in Fan Art, solojones! :D

That is very well done for using a mouse in Photoshop. That would've drove me completely insane. :p I can kinda see what Omnis is talking about in terms of the shadow around the nose. From what I could see, it looks like you did it slightly(unless you just added it), but if could be brought out a bit more. The same can be said for the little dimple(I forget the name :p) right beneath the nose and above the lip. I can tell you're trying to make it come out with the subtle color you have there, but I think it needs just a little bit more.

Overall, very nice drawing! You did an excellent job with the likeness and I hope to be seeing more from you in the future! :D

7. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    As soon as I saw your artwork it immediately reminded me of the one I just finished. I think you did the curvy lines well. The eyes first grabbed my attention. Very nice. The good thing about drawing in photoshop is that no matter how many times you erase, you will never leave marks on the canvas that can't be erased, unlike real paper with a pencil. Plus, cleaning up the lines after scanning can be tedious too.

I think you've certainly created his likeness well, which is a great start. With some more work on the shading/highlights/shadows on his face, the drawing will look even better. ;)

8. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    How did you create the linework on it?

9. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    =D= Hey, looks great. Would like to see more of your stuff.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Start the shadow from the line and go outward. The way you have it, the area next to the line is lighter than the area surrounding the light spot. That takes away from the sense of naturalness or whatever you wanna call it.

I see what you're saying. I probably should have payed closer attention to that line. And what HanSolo29 said about the areas under the nose and chin are other good points. Thanks guys :) I haven't changed anything in it yet, but maybe I'll do that today.

dash, I completely agree on the benefits of Photoshop. Otherwise I'd be erasing a *lot*. Plus, even if you get colours and shading in, you can change them quite easily. It could allow for slopiness, but in the hands of the right person, I think Photoshop is a great tool.

odj, I used Photoshop's pen tool. I just varied the brush sizes and amount of fade/pressure to get different weights of lines. It's a pretty tedious process but once you get the hang of it it's not too bad. Here's the original line art:

[image=http://www.noerf.com/irk/obilineart2%20copy.png]

As you can see, adding the shading helped a lot with the likeness. It's hard to get a sense of someone's face without the shapes of their skull and muscles being more visible. I'm glad the likeness came out pretty well in the last one. Although I notice all the little things still because I see Ewan McGregor's face literally every day, but hey, there's got to be some liberties for line art, right ;)

Thanks for the compliment, Chilla :) I'm trying to decide what to do next...

11. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Wow! I think that's excellent work, especially using a mouse! (I haven't the patience to use a mouse to draw lines!)

Very good likeness. I'll be watching for more.

oldj

12. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    I used Photoshop's pen tool. I just varied the brush sizes and amount of fade/pressure to get different weights of lines. It's a pretty tedious process but once you get the hang of it it's not too bad.

Ahh. I've seen this technique in a line art tutorial somewhere. I might try it out someday. :D

As you can see, adding the shading helped a lot with the likeness. It's hard to get a sense of someone's face without the shapes of their skull and muscles being more visible.

Very true!

If you ever got stuck on what to do next, the monthly "FanArt Challenges" might be very helpful. :D

13. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Rachel, you made me jealous again...how dare you :p

Good work. I would love to see some more of your work.

14. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    He he I thought I recognised the technique but didnt want to say anything unless I was wrong, you used it really well and you can easily tell its Ewan/Obi even withought the shading on. Nice work. :D

15. goddess45

goddess45 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    I really liked that one these are really cool!! great job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.