main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

photoshop price

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by master-kevin, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanSmitheeIII

AlanSmitheeIII Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2001
    'Opeth' are one of the best, talented metal bands around.

I'm not a big fan of power metal, so 'Iced Earth' does nothing for me....

'Dummy Burger' is OK... ;)

'In Flames' has really started to blow since 'The Jesters Race'.

And no...these bands make Rammstein look like The Spice Girls.

2. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    :) bahahahah 'makes Ramstein lookl like spice girls' yes, it is so true :)

3. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Q99213 - theft is theft. It doesn't matter if you're stealing from billion dollar corporation or a software designer who makes 50K a year or more, or a baby's lollypop ...

IT'S STILL STEALING.

4. Arfour_Peeseventeen

Arfour_Peeseventeen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    IT'S STILL STEALING.

I had to pay a couple hundred to get Photoshop LE (with Premiere 5.1c)... I hate it when I see people steal the software.

5. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    I agree. I have Premiere, Photoshop, and After Effects AND all the manuals. What's that come to? About $2000. And we all know the price is high because they know piracy happens.

Everyone with a pirate of these programs owes me money.

6. Arfour_Peeseventeen

Jun 2, 2002
    Prices are high because people pirate. People pirate because prices are high. It's a Catch-22 and it ends with the pirates stopping the piracy. [face_plain]

7. nhaines

nhaines Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    I don't know. I think it could end with the companies dropping their prices. I believe that people are inherently good (or at least inherently want to be good).

For instance, I would just die to be able to play River City Ransom again. I'm not sure where I put my cart, my NES no longer functions, and the one I bought off a friend for $30 is dodgy. I would die for a $30 Game Boy Advance port! With multi-cart 2P support! Ahhhh.... Yeah, I know there's a ROM floating around somewhere. I probably have it. But you know, I'd rather buy it again (even though I already own a copy), to be honest.

I think companies would make a lot of money with lower prices by enticing everyone who's curious about a project, finds it, and doesn't ever get around to buying it afterward. Myself, I don't bother with things I can't afford (unless I can talk a friend out of his copy--but my friend who gets all the good stuff never stops using it, so I can't buy it off him, heh).

8. ID2002

ID2002 Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2002
    Corperate greed force prices up. They want big $$$$$$$$$$.

piracy happens 24/7....and besides their are plenty of ways to get a demo or copy of these BIG NAME software bundels, you just have to do some looking online. Save ourself some money.

...its your buisness.

9. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Well I do have the manuals (and reciepts) for Photoshop, Premiere, and After Effects, and I now use the free version of Maya mostly. And prices aren't high because of Piracy. Prices were high before the whole P2P file sharing thing started. It's the corporations that like to sell to other corporations. They realize that most companies doing movies and commercials and such have large budgets and can throw $3000 for a single software program.

10. Arfour_Peeseventeen

Jun 2, 2002
    Okay... you made me rethink my statement. The prices are a little too high.

11. christmastom

christmastom Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2002
    Most people that use photoshop are people that can afford it, though. Like companies, schools, etc... although I do think that prices are pretty high.

At Journey Ed though, you can get the Adobe DV Bundle thing is $500. You get Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, and Illustrator.

12. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    um... Piracy was big even before peer to peer. Far before.

And check out the bands Blind Guardian and Elvenking

13. swmaster

swmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    Yep its true that piracy makes little difference on the price of a high end program. The main reason for the high prices is greed. The software developers know that there are many companys that are out there and need this software. So they raise the prices beacause they know that the companies will pay it.

If you ask me they are the ones who are wrong. I have seen plugin sets that are $500 and probably were created in a day.

SWmaster

14. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    ...and probably were created in a day.

A day? No way.

This sounds like a comment from a teenager with no clue how corporate technology development works. Sorry if you don't like it, but it's true.

Sure, some independent programmer who knows his tools might come up with something simple in a day or two, but large companies like Adobe don't operate that way.

You can't even get an idea approved by management in a day.

For a new release of a software package, there will be a team of software engineers working for months designing the new features. Each is probably billed at $100 per hour or more. Then there is another team of engineers making sure the software plays well with all the newest hardware and operating systems. The there's testing, and more testing. There's packaging, sales, documentation, revisions, certification, etc. By the time the product is ready, the company has invested hundreds of thousnads of dollars in development, if not more. Not to mention the company has to mark it up to make some profit. For an application with a limited user-base, they have to sell it for more, or they'll never recoup the development cost.

Sure, software tends to be marked a bit high, but don't assume it's just about scribbling some code and burning CD's.

15. Desann2002

Desann2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    i guess i was lucky, i got both Photoshop 5 and 6 from college for £50...... (sits around and looks smug)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.