main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pick a Funny Moment from Each Movie

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Cryogenic, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Some of you guys probably know me for my predilection for philosophical discussions and the like, but I thought I'd throw all that to the wind in here. Funny moments. All the films have 'em. You pick 'em.

TPM

I know some people can't stand Jar Jar, but it always makes me laugh when Qui-Gon is telling him to get out the way, which only causes Jar Jar confusion and panic. Another close one from the same sequence is, "You saved my again!" Poor Qui-Gon.

AOTC

"If only Senator Amidala were here . . . " / "Mmm . . . " Cut to Jar Jar. Devilish.

ROTS

"This time, we will do it together." / "I was about to say that." Classic SW banter.

ANH

"I suggest a new strategy. Let the Wookie win." More classic dry humour right there.

TESB

"See?" / "Someday, you're going to be wrong, and I hope I'm there to see it." Han Solo PWNS. Pure and simple. A runner-up here is Han with his finger in the air, shushing Threepio. Say it with me: Han's the man.

ROTJ

"Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!" Yeah, it's a pretty intense moment, but it's still funny. The Emperor is the stuff movie quotes are made of.

Of course, this is the SAGA forum, and if I see any patterns emerging or anything, I might make some comments on the humour and its function or whatever. Feel free to do the same. But do try and answer properly. This topic is meant to celebrate the comical side of SW. OK, over to you guys . . .

2. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    TPM

Watto and Qui-Gon in the junkyard:

"What, you think you're some kind of Jedi, waving your hand around like this? I'm a Toydarian! Mind tricks donna work ona me - only money! No money, no parts, no deal!"

AOTC

Not much to laugh about in this movie. My best takes would be Jocasta Nu and Jettster Dexter on the Jedi.

"If an item doesn't appear in our records, it does not exist!"
    "Those analysis droids only focus on symbols. I would have thought you Jedi had more respect for the difference between knowledge and wisdom."

The latter is also a dig at us overanalysing fans, I think ;)

ROTS

R2 on the invisible hand, including Anakin and Obi-Wan in the elevator:

"What was that all about?"
    "Well, R2 has been ... "
    "No loose wire jokes . . . He's doing the best he can."
    "Did I say anything?"
    "He's trying! "
    "I didn't say anything!"

ANH

Han on Death Star One:

"Get in there you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell! Get
    in there and don't worry about it.
    [...] Wonderful girl! Either I'm going to kill her or I'm beginning to
    like her. Get in there!"

ESB

Luke's landing on Dagobah and Yoda's first encounter with him - was funny before, but after the Prequels it's just hilarious. Yoda looks like he's gone totally bush.

ROTJ

Threepio in the forest:

"It is against my programming to impersonate a deity!"

3. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    TPM
    Jabba the Hutt and his cronies looking exactly the same as they do 36 years later.:eek:

AOTC
    The Geonosian who stands up in the crowd, points, and makes a goofy sound when that creature breaks the spear in its mouth.[face_dancing]

ROTS
    The stupid little guy on Utapau who needs his friend to tap him on the shoulder when it's time to fill up Obi-Wan's gas tank.[face_flag]

ANH
    The Jawas who run around like little kids wearing too much clothing.[face_thinking]

TESB
    "Take you to him I will...BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"[face_laugh]

ROTJ
    Han's reaction to the ridiculously enormous shield generator explosion.[face_worried]

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    TPM

"Are you brainless?

"I spake!"

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent, now get out of here."

AotC

"Obi-Wan's gonna kill me."

RotS

"What was that all about?"
    "Well, R2 has been ... "
    "No loose wire jokes . . . He's doing the best he can."
    "Did I say anything?"
    "He's trying! "
    "I didn't say anything!"

ANH

HAN: (getting nervous) Uh...had a slight weapons malfunction. But, uh,
    everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here,
    now, thank you. How are you?

INTERCOM VOICE: We're sending a squad up.

HAN: Uh, uh, negative. We had a reactor leak here now. Give us a few
    minutes to lock it down. Large leak...very dangerous.

INTERCOM VOICE: Who is this? What's your operating number?

Han blasts the comlink and it explodes.

HAN: Boring conversation anyway. (yelling down the hall) Luke! We're
    going to have company!

ESB

Crrrazy Yoda when Luke first lands on Dagobah.

RotJ

"It's against my programming to impersonate a diety." and "I used to live here,you know." "You're gonna die here, you know. Convenient."

5. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    TPM

General Jar Jar advising his troops to ?Steady?steady.? The delivery is perfect?-a pip feigning verve.

AotC

The future Dark Lord of the Sith airing his anxieties to Jar Jar. ?She never even looked at me?? It?s bizarro genius, confirming my belief that while AotC may have turned out better under another director, it wouldn?t have been anywhere near as interesting. (And just think: Had Anakin been this open with others, Luke and Leia would?ve enjoyed that nursery by the garden.)

RotS

Palpatine cheering Anakin on during the Dooku duel. I?ve often compared the villain to the Yahweh of Genesis; but here, he?s thoroughly Greek, an avid spectator to human frailty. (And it?s nice to know he?s enjoying the proceedings as much as the audience.)

ANH

Until RotS, I had an interesting reading of the hideaway scene in the Falcon. After Kenobi queries ?Who?s more the fool???, Chewbacca growls, as if giving response. I imagined it was something banal along the lines of ?The fool!? Kenobi?s exasperated nod was icing on the cake.

TESB

Having made known his feelings about bounty hunters, Piett catches sight of one, conjures up something between fear and loathing, and darts off. It?s character moments like these that make Empire the crown jewel of the series.

RotJ

Though I think the movie itself is a parody, I?ll cop to enjoying the bit with levitating Threepio. ?I never knew I had it in me!? is endearing enough, and would?ve been right at home in ANH.

6. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    TPM

"You... could call for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum."

AOTC

When Padme Breaks away from the kiss, the look on Anakin's face is priceless.

ROTS

"When my new apprentice, Darth Vader, arrives, he will take care of you..." I was the only one who laughed in the theater, when I saw it, but I still think it's funny. Then, later, I laughed when Vader delivers the punchline, and says "The Separatists have been taken care of, my master." Sith Humor is great. :)

ANH

"Your friend is quite a mercenary. I wonder if he really cares about anything... or anybody." "I care..."

TESB

"I love you!" "I know."

ROTJ

The scenes of the AT-ST's getting destroyed are pretty hilarious.

7. Crop_Dusting_Genius

Crop_Dusting_Genius Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2003
    Don't mean to hate, but Obi-Wan's battle humor puts me off.

8. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    Uh...had a slight weapons malfunction. But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?

never fails.

9. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    TPM

The discussion of Anakin never even finishing a Pod Race. In my mind, it sounds just like when I'm talking about video games, in that I'll play them for a long time, but never finish. So indirectly, that does amuse me.

AOTC

Every time, Jango Fett VS Slave 1 door hatch.

ROTS

The Obi-Wan blaster scene. "So uncivilized", indeed. [face_laugh]

ANH

"You came here, on that thing? You're braver than I thought!" (This brings to mind the two cars I've owned. Both physical lemons in their own rights. Heh!)

ESB

The whole exchange with Han and Leia in the hallways on Hoth.

ROTJ

Han and Lando bickering about the Falcon on the Rebel frigate.

10. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    ANH
    Han trying to lies to the imperial over the comstation in the prison block.

ESB
    Han acting like he knew what was wrong with the Falcon when 3PO tells him and afterwards he tells Chewwie to take a look at the engine part 3PO was telling him about.

Many people find them too lame but I love the Hyperdrive jokes.

ROTJ
    The look on Han's face in ROTJ when he tries to shortcut the door at the bunker on Endor resulting in a second door closing.

The "I don't know, fly casual" comment from Han to Chewwie.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    ANH

"Ben is a great man."
    "Yeah, great at getting us into trouble."

ROTJ

"I think my eyes are getting better. Instead of a big dark blur, I see a big light blur."
    "There's nothing to see. I used to live here, you know."
    "You're gonna die here, you know. Convenient."

[face_laugh]

12. Freakzillawht2

Freakzillawht2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2007
    TPM:
    The part on the trade federation ship when OB1 tries to be funny and tells Jinn, "the negociations were short".[face_plain] that line was so lame that I laugh at how stupid it was.
    AOTC:
    When Padme kisses anakin on naboo. IMO she kissed him to see if he was a good kisser, but then she didn't like it and broke it off. And the expression of shock in anakin's face was like "man... I really suck at this...":oops:
    ROTS:
    "Nooooooooooo"[face_laugh]
    ANH:
    The medal ceremony at the end, the face and growls of chewie were priceless.
    ESB:
    The verbal fight between leia and han solo in bacta tank room where luke is recovering.
    ROTJ:
    "It's a trap" - admiral ackbar]-}

13. morpha2

morpha2 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2005
    ANH
    Han's "everything is fine" bit in the detention center.

ESB
    LEIA: Captain, being held by you isn't quite enough to get me excited.
    HAN: Sorry, sweetheart. We haven't got time for anything else.

ROTJ
    When the tough guy cries after the Rancor bites the dust.

14. sleepergirl

sleepergirl Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2007
    hey... I felt bad for the guy:_|

15. Freakzillawht2

Freakzillawht2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2007
  16. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    Because Luke killed his best friend, that little...

hahaha

17. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Haven't posted here in forever, but I'm back.

TPM
    My two favorite funny bits from the film are Watto's 'Mind tricks don't work on me' schpiel, and the scene at the table in the Skywalkers' hovel where Jar Jar is using his tongue to steal stuff from the bowl in the middle of the table (Qui Gon catching Jar Jar's tongue is hilarious, especially Jar Jar's facial reaction).

AotC
    A lot of people complain about the way Lucas utilized Threepio and R2 in AotC's latter sequences, but the pair do provide the film with some of its most memorable light-hearted moments. My favorite moment involving the two has to be the entire sequence from when they enter the Droid Foundry on Geonosis to where R2 finally brings Threepio 'back to his senses' by fixing him. Another favorite 'funny moment' of mine also comes from the Geonosis sequence, but involves Anakin and Obi-Wan. I love the exchange between the two after Anakin and Padme get captured and chained up next to him. For one thing, it really shows their camaradarie, and, for another, Ewan and Hayden's delivery of Lucas's lines just make the humor inherent in said lines come alive.

RotS
    A lot of people have been picking Anakin and Obi-Wan's exchange about R2 during their raid on the Invisible Hand, which I like as well. However, I think the moment that trumps that is hands-down Obi-Wan's dispatching of Grievous, and his "So uncivilized" comment. It's a great foreshadowing of him telling Luke about the age of the Jedi being a 'more civilized age'; plus, it's just hilarious how he calmly and cooly kills Grievous and then tosses the blaster away like it's a hot potato.

ANH
    Han Solo really takes the place of R2 and Threepio in this film in terms of being the 'comic element'. There's so many great Han-centered funny moments in this film that it's hard to choose, but I'm going to go with him chasing down the Stormtroopers - howling like a wild man - after he, Luke, Leia, and Chewie get out of the detention block.

TESB
    As one of the darkest films in the series, there aren't a whole lot of funny moments to pick from, but I have to say that my two particular favorites are Yoda's (re)introduction and initial interaction with Luke, and the argument between Han and Leia on Hoth where she calls him a 'stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf herder'. Carrie Fisher's delivery of that line is just priceless.

RotJ
    Threepio and R2 once again provide most of the film's comedic elements, but I think my favorite funny moment has to be Han's reaction to Wicket stealing the speeder bike and leading the Scout Troopers on a chase. I also love the sequence where Luke uses the Force to trick the Ewoks into letting them go. Anthony Daniels really delivers in that scene.

18. FarmboyKatarn

FarmboyKatarn Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 26, 2001
    Haven't seen these mentioned yet:
    in AotC:
    Anakin: We transmitted the message just as you requested, Master...then we decided to come and rescue you.
    Obi-Wan: <looks at his handcuffs> Good job.

in RotS:
    Obi-Wan: <coming to> Did I miss something?

Han's "We're all fine...here...now...How are you?" is probably my favorite of the whole saga though.

19. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    These are probably goofy things to laugh at.. but that's me!

ANH- Anything Han Solo says is funny
    ESB- when Darth Vader is looking out from the death star and does a double take because the MF just got away.[face_laugh]
    ROTJ- when han tells luke he's gonna die on tatooine, after luke says he was born there.

TPM- "Now there are two of them"
    AOTC- obi-wan says "good job"
    ROTS- when yoda is fighting sidious[face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.