Picking a Theatre for an Opening Day Group Showing

Discussion in 'Detroit, MI' started by MiraxTHorn, Apr 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    Hi Guys,

Since this is one of the topics for discussion at our meeting, I thought a little advanced preparation might be needed. So far, I've heard three major theatres mentioned as possibilities for us to consider: AMC Forum 30, Star Great Lakes and AMC Livonia 20.

If possible, it would be nice to know what their plans are for advanced ticket sales to make camp out planning easier. I will call AMC 20 to see if they have details yet. Dustin - Will you call AMC 30 or check with your friend? And will someone else take on the Star? Hopefully they have some idea of the date tickets will be on sale.

Can't wait til Saturday!
    M.
  2. huttese1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah, I will do that tomorrow.
  3. TheHuntressDiana Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I just called Star Great Lakes, and their manager knows nothing about dates for pre-sales.

SO...I went to the Web site, and I am e-mailing Paul Biondi, the VP of Advertising & Promotions for Star Theatres. Hopefully, he or his secretary won't take too long in getting back to me.
  4. DarSpi Jedi Padawan

I believe my small group of rebels is planning on Star Southfield, the ONLY THX rated theatre on the east side of the state.
  5. huttese1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    AMC hasn't received official word as to when tickets will go on sale. They are going to email me when the know.
  6. TheHuntressDiana Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I finally heard back from Mr. Biondi and here's what my e-mail said:

Good afternoon Bianca!
    It should come as no surprise that your question is the most popular one currently. It appears as though Episode II is on everyone's mind. Unfortunately, the studio is guarding any and all information about the opening of Attack of the Clones as closely as the plans for a nuclear weapon.

Our website at www.startheatres.com is your best bet for up to the minute updates on any and all of our features and ticketing information. Please check back as the opening date gets closer and we should know more. Thank you for choosing Star Theatres!

Paul Biondi
    Vice President, Marketing
    STAR THEATRES

I did work in our affiliation with TheForce.net and our being a chapter of FanForce...but I'm thinking that, that bit of info didn't really matter.

I get the feeling that the announcement(s) of when tickets will be going on sale around here will be happening around or on the day most of us will be leaving for Celebration 2. So, any thoughts on what we might want to do in case of this happening?

7. Idgie Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm all about camping out,I mean,come on,it's almost a requirement for Star Wars fans(or it should be anyway)!:)

But,if it comes down to a matter of ticket sales conficting with CII,then maybe we should look into buying them over the internet.That would be a drag,I know,but the point is to get the tickets and maybe that would be our best bet.(?)

Unless some of those not going to Indianapolis would be willing/able to camp out.(?)
  8. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'd love to know who the genuis is that picked May 3 as the date for advance ticket sales. Yeah, like those attending C2 have no interest in lining up for tickets [face_plain] Nice going, morons.

Well I guess we have to hope for two things: One, that one person can purchase more than one ticket (this WAS the case for TPM) and two, that person willing to stand in line isn't going to C2.
  9. TheHuntressDiana Jedi Master

star 4
    Woah guys...I don't think the actual date for the sale of tickets for here in the States has been announced yet. What I said in my post was just a feeling...a hunch...it wasn't actual.

But I think we need to have a back-up plan in case the date does fall between May 2-5. I ordered my tickets for opening day (for the morning and evening) over the phone and got what I wanted (couldn't get out of work to go and get them myself) for the Start Great Lakes Crossing. Of course, for this you must have a credit card.

I just send out a mass e-mail to my AOL bud's and hopefully our inside connection to LucasFilm's Marketing Department will give us/me the offical say on the date of sales. As soon as I get word back from her, I'll let you guys know.
  10. robertyodarugenstein Jedi Master

star 4
    Looks like we now have something else to talk about and decide on Sauturday.

I have a bad feeling that the tickets will go on sale on the 3rd. But did tickets for Episode I go on sale on a Wednesday? Why Friday this time? I can see it now people buying tickets for Episode II and Spiderman all at once man will that be a mass confusion for all.
  11. SwordChick Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well if we can't camp out for tickets, we could possibly still camp out for the movie itself, couldn't we? Probibly not for days on end, although it might work, but perhaps for at least a few hours (it's not like they'd let us into the theatre showing Ep II untill, like, a half hour before the showing anyway).
  12. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I expect that the advance tickets will go on sale two weeks before the opening. I can't recall, but did TPM go on sale 1 or 2 weeks before opening? So, that makes Wednesday, May 01 my best guess. Always cloudy is the future.
  13. Idgie Jedi Master

star 4
    Tickets for Ep.I went on sale one week before the movie opened.

I never said that Ep.II tickets were for sure going on sale May 3.I said that `...if ticket sales conflict with Celebration II'.

Truth is,it wouldn't be a good idea for anyone if the tickets went on sale on May 3.For one,you would have a LOT of p.o'd SW fans.Not to mention that `Spider-man' opens that day.It would be pretty chaotic,to say the least.

If I had to guess,I would say either May 1 or May 2.Or,if they do what they did last time,May 9.
  14. StealthTrooperSTC019 Jedi Knight

From all the news I have been seeing, someone there in marketing land has seen what problems a May 3rd ticket sale will create.
    Did they have a limit to the # of tix you could get for Ep I when it came out? Maybe it was just the chain that we went to. If would be just like those marketing boneheads to release tickets on May 3rd AND limit the number a person could buy!!!
    If that becomes the case, (and since I can't make it to CII :( ), I will will help out in the tix dept as much as I can....
  15. TheHuntressDiana Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, my last e-mail to my AOL buds certainly created quite a stir (6 e-mails in reply) and I heard from my inside connection. Here's what he/she had to say:

I haven't heard a word about ticket sales starting on that date. I certainly don't hear *everything* at Lucasfilm, but I'm in the marketing department and that should be in my radar.

Truthfully, I haven't even heard a definite date yet.

And he/she's been pretty good about letting us know the scoop on things a day or two before they hit the Offical Site or the Celebration Site.

Another person in this e-mail circle has connections with a large theater chain out of Southern California, and had this to say:

I work in SoCal marketing for the uber-google-super-mega-theatrical exhibition-monopoly that is the newly formed REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP [Regal-United Artists-Edwards], now the largest theatre chain in the world and no one I know in the company has heard anything officially either. Unofficially theatre chains are still finalizing booking agreements and until those are signed there can't be an official annoucement on North American Advance Sales. For example, REG *JUST* annouced advance sales for Spider-Man will begin this Monday and that's little over two weeks before release and there are several locations within REG that won't be able to even then because they haven't finalized booking arrangements.

Don't expect advance ticketing to begin in North America any earlier than May 1st however. While initially several exhibitors hoped to arrange month in advance ticketing, several of the online ticketing services are in the middle of extensive upgrades and retrofits to meet the demands of ticketing for Spider-Man and Star Wars that won't be completed until that date.

So with all this going on, I really don't see LFL making the sale date on the 3rd...especially with that being opening day for Spider-Man.
  16. StealthTrooperSTC019 Jedi Knight

As I remember correctly from EPI, we had to wait in line to get a number to wait in line for tickets, so as not to clog up the theater the day tickets went on sale...
    Then again that was 3 years ago and when you reach my age remembering my kids' names are hard enuff ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.