main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Picking Up Mama" (Daddy!Luke challenge) Thanks for the nom!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ginchy, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Title: Picking Up Mama
    Author: ginchy
    Rating: G
    Category: Humor
    Characters: Luke, Ben, Mara
    Summary: Daddy!Luke fluff. [face_love] [face_love]
    Notes: Umm? I?m a bit late with this challenge? [face_blush] *small voice* "I'm sorry..." ;)
    Challenge: Write Daddy!Luke trying to handle a sticky (child) situation all by himself. Include the following things: the word "nightmare", the phrase "bantha bop", an exploding toy, and a delivery man who interrupts something.

?Daddy, when is Mama coming back??

Luke Skywalker looked up from the Falcon model he was fiddling with, trying to repair the damages Ben had made to it when he decided to ?play Uncle Han? and remodel it. ?Well, Ben, I think she should be home sometime tonight. Probably after your bedtime.?

Ben, who had lit up at the thought of his mother finally returning from the extended mission she had been on, dropped his head at the thought that she might come home while he was asleep.

Luke laughed and reached out to ruffle Ben?s bright hair. ?Do you really think your Mom won?t bypass me at the door and run straight for your room to cover you with kisses and give you presents??

Ben grinned, nodding enthusiastically. ?That?s what she did last time! She brought me the Bantha Bop holodisk!? Ben jumped up, hopping excitedly around the room, imitating his favorite dance and humming the theme to the Bop enthusiastically, if off-key. After several wild moments of humming and dancing, Ben stopped, looking at his father with a confused expression. ?Where is my Bantha Bop at, Dad? We haven?t watched it in a long time!?

Luke didn?t have the heart to tell his son that Mara had ?accidentally? smashed the disk into millions of pieces and thrown them all away in separate receptacles, so merely shrugged, continuing his ministrations of the model Falcon.

The shrug wasn?t good enough for his son, however. Being a Skywalker, Ben wasn?t one to let anything go lightly, Bantha Bop apparently included.

?Dad? Dad? Dad?? Ben called his father?s name, hopping around Luke in circles on one leg. ?Have you seen it? Do you know where it is? I can?t find it.?

?Can?t find what, son?? Luke asked, distracted by the minute wires in the replica he held in his hands.

?Dad! My [i]Bantha Bop[/i] ! You?re not paying attention to me! You have to listen to me with your eyes, and your ears!?

Luke gave a half grin at the irritation in Ben?s voice? and how he somehow managed to add the exact amount of exasperation into his voice that Mara did when she was upset. ?Ben, I told you, I don?t know where your Bantha Bop is, son. I?m not the one who watches it.? Luke looked back down at the Falcon, delicately attaching one last wire?

Ben reached out and grabbed his father?s arm, needing to communicate to him the absolute importance of find the Bantha Bop RIGHT NOW.

Unfortunately, Ben grabbed Luke?s arm just a bit too roughly and Luke pulled the wire from the Falcon model with a little too much force, causing the toy to admit a squeak and a plume of smoke. Recognizing the signs from years of mechanical mishaps, Luke used enhanced Jedi speed and threw the toy clear of himself and Ben moments before it exploded in midair, raining tiny pieces of shrapnel and emitting a dark cloud of smoke.

?[i]Wow[/i]!? Ben cried, clapping his hands together excitedly. ?Astral! Do it again, Dad! Wait ?til I tell Uncle Han!?

Luke, still stunned from the toy?s explosion, gave his son a look of horror. ?Look, Ben? You can tell Uncle Han? But let?s not tell your Mother? I don?t think she?d be too happy about you having a toy that exploded so easily.?

Ben?s eyes grew round. ?You want me to [i]lie[/i], Dad??

Luke was saved from answering when the chime on the comm unit rang, signaling an incoming call. Ben, who loved to answer the comm, ran for it, answering before it could ring a second time.

Mara?s face took up the screen, and she smiled widely at her little boy

2. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    that was great fun....it had me laughing at a number of different occasions...

great job ginchy!

3. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Even if it's late, ginchy, this was absoloutely priceless!

Batha Boop, exploding Falcon... it had everything! Even Mara and Luke much *grin*

great job!

4. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    trying to repair the damages Ben had made to it when he decided to ?play Uncle Han? and remodel it.

That's where I started laughing. And I kept laughing right to the end.

Oh, the Bantha Bop disc. Sounds a little like a purple dinosaur that once dominated our house.

Love the part where Ben learns to swear. (My son learned to swear when he was three and I accidentally slammed my fingers in a drawer. Took him three days to wear out the novelty of that word.)

A great job! Nice affection all around. :D

5. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Funny story, ginchy! One can't make too many 'special modifications' to the Falcon, even the toy kind. And I can remember some cartoon videos that would've liked to smash to a million pieces.

Great dose of morning laughter. :D

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Absolutely WONDERFUL response to the challenge! =D=

Luke didn?t have the heart to tell his son that Mara had ?accidentally? smashed the disk into millions of pieces and thrown them all away in separate receptacles, so merely shrugged, continuing his ministrations of the model Falcon.

The shrug wasn?t good enough for his son, however. Being a Skywalker, Ben wasn?t one to let anything go lightly, Bantha Bop apparently included.

?Dad? Dad? Dad?? Ben called his father?s name, hopping around Luke in circles on one leg. ?Have you seen it? Do you know where it is? I can?t find it.?

?Can?t find what, son?? Luke asked, distracted by the minute wires in the replica he held in his hands.

?Dad! My Bantha Bop ! You?re not paying attention to me! You have to listen to me with your eyes, and your ears!?

Yeah, Skywalker! ;)

Loved it! You certainly captured a child's tenacity! :D

7. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    That was great, ginchy! Love the humor!

Ben?s eyes grew round. ?You want me to lie, Dad??

Well done! =D=

8. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Great work! =D= :D Ben was perfect. You almost feel sorry for Luke and Mara... :p The characterisations were wonderful as always, and the story was funny throughout. Great to see Luke as a dad. :D

9. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Luke as a daddy is hilarious! [face_laugh]

Maybe I should write one of these.

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Ginchster, you just can't keep from cracking me up! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    That all was too hilarious! I especially liked this:
    ?Mama!? Ben cried, letting go of Luke?s hand and running for his mother, laughing happily as Mara dropped her travel bag and hugged and kissed him. ?I?m
    so glad you?re back! What did you bring me??

Mara laughed, reaching out for Luke?s hand as he made his way to their side, and tilting her head up to receive his welcome kiss. Ben quickly grew impatient
    with the show of affection between his parents and wormed his way in between them, breaking them apart.

Luke looked a bit disgruntled, but smiled at the happy look on Ben?s face at being back in his mother?s presence. His grin grew even wider as Mara?s voice
    rang through his head. Don?t worry, you?ll get yours later, love, she said, showing him a picture of what exactly she meant by ?his?.
    But, of course, who wouldn't? :D
    You caught Ben in all his cuteness, and Luke & Mara in all their yumminess. That's just how they are--in every kind of mood & moment, though I do like the displays of affection best--public &, especially private. :) :)

11. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    Oh...that was too funny[face_laugh] Nice job =D=

12. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Hehehe, this reminds me of a tape of a certain Christmas-carrolls-singing purple dinosaur which "accidentaly" fell into the garbarge can... And some Pokemon cards that really for accident went into the washing machine...

Daddy!Luke is so cute!

13. KillerRomance

KillerRomance Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 27, 2005
    Farmboy should never be left alone with the kid, I know my dad always got in so much trouble when my mom left him alone with me and my bro :p good times tho. The Bantha Bop thing reminded me of the Kangaroo Song from Big Daddy, and I just couldn't help but laugh every time bantha bop was said

14. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    The Bantha Bop. Makes me think of the movie Big Daddy when Julian insists on listening to the "Kangeroo Song" over and over and over...:p

15. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Just what I needed to cheer me up this morning. Great fic, ginch! Ben was so adorably annoying and Luke, well...[face_love]

16. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Oh this was so much fun, ginchy! [face_laugh] =D= As they say, better late, than never. Ben and Luke's interaction was sweet. Those boys sure know how to attract trouble. I really loved how Luke was with Ben. Even though things get messy in the Skywalker house, Luke makes a great dad.

?You want me to lie, Dad??

Ben is as much Luke's son, as he is Mara's. [face_laugh] Oh the little white lies parents tell.

I love how Mara was immediately suspicious.
    Thank you for the laughs. I always enjoy what you write! :)

17. jackyyy17

jackyyy17 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2006
    Oh, that is so cute. I love the interactions between Luke and Ben.

I'd leave a longer review but its almost time for work.

Good challenge response, and hey it's better late then never. ;)

jacky

18. Dreamless

Dreamless Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2006
    Hahahahahahaha! this was brilliant! I love this! I so have to send it to my friend; I know she would like it too. What I meant, by send, can I just send a link? would that be all right?

19. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    Kidan: Thanks! I?m always glad to hear that I can give someone a laugh!

Jade_Max: Thank you! Yup, a bit late? But there?s always time for Luke/Mara, Ben cuteness, right? I?m glad you enjoyed!

divapilot: Thanks, lady! I?m glad the affection came through?I was really trying to show that. And it is amusing when kids learn to swear?they always seem to use them at the most comically perfect moments, don?t they? LOL!

Jedi-2B: Thank you! I?m happy I gave you morning giggles. And that Falcon?It does need lots of TLC, doesn?t it? :D

VaderLVR64: Wow, thanks! I had fun trying to imagine a little Skywalker running amok!

Jade_Pilot: Ooh, thank you! And, I must say, that line is one of my favorites. I can just ?see? it in my head. LOL

Knight_Aragorn: Thank you! Yes, Luke and Mara have their hands full with that one, I think. ;) Thanks for the characterization note? I spend a ridiculous amount of time asking myself, ?Would Luke really say that?? LOL

Jedi_Liz: Thanks, Liz! Long time no see! And, yes! Write one. We can always use more Daddy!Luke!

Jade_eyes: Hey, you! :D Thanks so much! I?m glad I can crack you up. That makes me smile, too! Yes, I like Mara/Luke displays of affection, too! I try and make them kiss in every story I write, don?t you know. ;) Can?t have too much kissing L/M, imo.

PRINCESSCAMBRIA: Thanks! I?m so happy you liked it!

Golden_Jedi: Thank you! Hee? sounds like you know exactly where Mara was coming from in ?accidentally? smashing and throwing away that disk! :D

KillerRomance: Thanks! Trouble does seem to find those Skywalkers, doesn?t it? Even the littlest ones! Yes, Big Daddy! I do love that movie, and Julian and Ben do seem to have the song/bop in common!

StarFighter5: Thanks for reading, and yup! Big Daddy! I love that movie, and Adam Sandler?s face is priceless during that Kangaroo Song. LOL!

JadeLotus: Hey, lady! [:D] Thanks! Glad you cheer your morning! And, yes? that Luke! [face_love] I agree!

MirandaFair: Hey, gal! Thank you so much! I?m so happy that you like this, and thanks for the great compliment?made me grin very widely. :D I?m glad Luke came off as a good Dad, because I really think he would be. And suspicious Mara? somehow I think moms/wives generally have to be, to keep on top of things! ;)

jackyyy17: Thanks, Jacky! Glad you enjoyed my Daddy!Luke insanity! I think I told you on another site, but I love your ?chicken? signature. Makes me giggle every time I read it! [face_laugh]

Dreamless: Thanks so much! I hope my PM answered your question!

And, to everyone who read: [:D]

20. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    [face_laugh] Major cuteness! [face_love] Loved little Ben.

21. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    Meredith_Kenobi: Thank you! I had a fun time imagining little Ben! :D I'm so glad you enjoyed!

And thanks to everyone for the nom in the Best Humor category for this piece! [:D] I had a blast writing it, and am so happy it has been enjoyed! :)

22. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Yet another story I thought I'd replied to. :oops: Well, I loved this one, even if I forgot to leave feedback in a timely manner. :p Ben's obsession about the Bantha Bop reminds me of my niece and nephew. [face_worried] At least they're obsessed with March of the Penguins right now; that one's a lot better than some Bantha Bop equivalents I could think of. :p

Ben sighed, sounding much older than his four years. ?I KNOW that, daddy. I?m just pretending.?

Luke willed himself not to blush at his child?s condescending tone

[face_laugh] Oh, isn't that just the worst? Nothing like being condescended to by a four-year-old. :p

Ben heaved a sigh. ?Oh, stang?? he said, quite forlornly.

Of course, that's always a fun scenario too. :p

Great story! Loved the family interaction. :D

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    LOL Quite the delightful challenge response. Like others I laughed continuously and loved

Well, your Daddy is right,? Mara answered, smiling at her son.

?He always is,? Ben said, resting his head on his father?s shoulder, content in his knowledge of his father?s omniscience.

??Bout time someone told your Mother that, Ben. Thanks, son,? Luke winked at Mara, rubbing Ben?s back.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.