Pics from Star Wars Insider #73 (image heavy, official pics)

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by jedi_master_ousley, Dec 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTerrious Force Ghost

star 5
    I think that since Palpatine=Sidious=in control of both the CIS and Republic...he could set up his own kidnapping.

I'm not questioning the authenticity of Palpatine setting it up. Obviously if he wanted it to happen it would.
    But what I'm asking is: What purpose does it serve? How does it affect the bigger picture of his plan?
  2. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Here's some on the spot speculation:

Palpatine wants Anakin as his apprentice. Dooku may or may not know this. Palpatine gets old-man-napped by the CIS. Anakin is sent to the rescue. When they get there, Palpatine is binded to a chair. Dooku says "Gaurds, leave us." And then Anakin says "You will no longer need those" and undoes Palpatine's bindings. Anakin and Dooku fight, then Palpatine reveals himself to Anakin as a Force user/possibly even as the Sith master. He also spreads lies...then Anakin joins him and then the rest of the movie happens.
  3. DarthTerrious Force Ghost

star 5
    [face_laugh]

Basically what I said. But is Anakin really apart of Palpatine's bigger picture? Nothing goes above his most important task, destroying the Republic and the Jedi, thus creating a Sith Empire.

So somehow Palpatine's capture MUST be an important point in that big picture, but COULD also be a flashpoint to further his interest in taking on Anakin as an apprentice.

Other notes, remember in the last Insider we saw a pic of Anakin and Obi-Wan on the TF Cruiser? Well what if they are assigned with rescuing Palpatine, they both reach him but Dooku arrives and they duel in front of Palpatine (who pretends to look helpless in the face of the battle in front of him). Obi-Wan again gets knocked out by Dooku (as in AOTC) but this time Anakin doesn't fail.....he defeats Dooku and unable to control himself, kills the Separatist leader. Anakin then frees Palpatine, Obi-Wan recovers, and well something happens which connects with the pic of Obi-Wan jumping from the TF ship (as captioned above in one of jmo's posts).

Hows that?
  4. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Wow...that is some pretty airy speculation.

No, don't get me wrong, it's not totally off the wall...I just don't see it.

If you look at that pic it looks almost like LUCAS to me sitting in the "throne" chair. [face_laugh] That would be hilarious if they were throwing us for a loop.

All this spec is based on the assumption that the white stripes on the sleeves are binders - but it's just as likely it's part of the detail of the costume.

So I still think it's either Dooku or one of his minions.

If it IS Palps, I can see himself being captured, but they would have to arrange it so that Anakin faced Dooku alone - Obi-Wan getting knocked out again seems pretty clumsy to me.

But if Anakin faces Dooku alone (with Palps tied up), I can easily see Palps egging on Anakin: "trust your feelings", "Give into your hate, it will make you invincible", etc.

Then when Dooku is killed by Anakin, Anakin and Palps talk...possibly with Palps revealing his is a Sith.

Then Obi-Wan arrives from his battle where he was separated from Anakin, and Anakin and Palps act "normal", the Chancellor is saved, and Obi-Wan and Anakin are heroes.
  5. Ghost_Jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    Basically what I said. But is Anakin really apart of Palpatine's bigger picture? Nothing goes above his most important task, destroying the Republic and the Jedi, thus creating a Sith Empire.

So somehow Palpatine's capture MUST be an important point in that big picture, but COULD also be a flashpoint to further his interest in taking on Anakin as an apprentice.

What better way to destroy the Jedi, than by using thier most prized pupil. Besides, from pretty early on it is obvious that Palps realizes that Anakin is truely special, if not indeed the Chosen One. Qui-Gon Jinn realizes this almost immeaditely. The Jedi Council realizes this. Why wouldn't a Sith, who is playing the JC, realize this. Who knows, maybe Palps knew about this before ep i? His interpertation of the balance of force could be the Jedi Purge. Or simply as the ultimate goal of the Sith; which would neccessitate a younger warrior, such as Anakin over Dooku. As Dooku probally has already served his purpose in the ordering of Clone Troopers, deletion of Jedi Records, and the organization of the Confederacy.

Anakin and Obi-Wan on the TF Cruiser? Well what if they are assigned with rescuing Palpatine, they both reach him but Dooku arrives and they duel in front of Palpatine (who pretends to look helpless in the face of the battle in front of him). Obi-Wan again gets knocked out by Dooku (as in AOTC) but this time Anakin doesn't fail.....he defeats Dooku and unable to control himself, kills the Separatist leader. Anakin then frees Palpatine, Obi-Wan recovers, and well something happens which connects with the pic of Obi-Wan jumping from the TF ship

Possible, or how about this. Both Anakin and Obi are racing through the labrynth that is the TF ship, they get seperated; like OBI & QGJ in TPM, maybe Obi battles a few Neimoidian gunner guards w/ see in the pics. Anyway when Anakin reaches Dooku & Palps, Anakin battles Dooku, w/ Palps providing commentary.
    We all know that Anakin has professed his desire 2 b the most powerful Jedi, and we all that Anakin & Palps have had private meetins/tutorial sessions, so 2+2=
    While the battle goes on, Palps gives the same speech he gave to Luke, about giving into the DarkSide to become more powerful. Anyway, Anakin sleighs Dooku, at which point Obi enters, and knows what happened, and knows more happened than meets the eye. Anyway after Anakin's "victory" Obi goes to the JC and voices his concerns about his Padawan which will only further the wedge between the two, and further lead to Anakin's turn to the Dark Side.
  6. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    This might seem trivial to some, but if Palpy were to get captured, why would he have such a nice chair? He should be chained to a pole getting eaten by a giant insect or something.

I don't see anything wrong with the idea in theory, though. We know Palpy could always get himself out if he needed to, so it would be a fine ploy for him, and Anakin does have a weakness for rescuing people, so he would be successfully baited.
  7. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    [puts gag in mouth to keep from saying too much]

Man, this is frustrating... If you look at the BTH photos you'd know half the answer to this question about Palpy.

IMO there are plenty of good reasons for Palps to have himself kidnapped. I think he's got the whole thing planned out from the start. He's setting Dooku up to be killed by Anakin- as a test. The time is right for some action, moving past all the verbal brainwashing. People want to give Dooku a more important role than he has. Yeah, he was Qui-Gon's Master and the head of the CIS, but his real purpose seems to be to die by Anakin's hand, making room for Vader at Sidious' side. He's Palpidious' pawn only. As soon as he's through being useful- more than likely at the beginning of Ep. III, Sidious will kill him off.

I don't think that there should be any doubt whatsoever that Palpidious has wanted Anakin as an apprentice since he first laid eyes on him. He's a Sith and he had to know about his midi count from the get go. Probably about the Prophecy as well. It's always been in his best interest to "recruit" Ani to the dark side. To both add to his power and to "protect" himself from the Prophecy.

Oh and about the chair. I hesitate to group that with his alleged kidnapping. More than likely it's used somewhere else. It is too powerful a thing for just that function.
  8. Ghost_Jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh and about the chair. I hesitate to group that with his alleged kidnapping. More than likely it's used somewhere else. It is too powerful a thing for just that function.

I had to agree w/ everything you had to say there RebelScum77, except for that last sentence. The conversion of Anakin to the Darkside, Palps formal sales pitch, possible revelation, will be the defining moment of the pt. As much as "Luke I am Your Father" was in the ct; "Anakin join me, togehter we will conquer the galaxy, and it will be run in our image" .

Why is it too powerful a thing for just that function for the key scene of the entire pt? The very reason the pt were made.
  9. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    He's setting Dooku up to be killed by Anakin- as a test.

Hmm, interesting. I know I've certainly hoped that Dooku will be used by Sidious in a very similar way Vader was used in ROTJ...even though it couldn't be a climatic scene (the Obi-Anakin duel has that covered), it could certainly be a pivotal one.
  10. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Interesting. I'd imagined a parallel scene to the CT for Anakin as well, but I thought it would be more along the lines of Anakin being baited into using the dark side in an attempt to protect someone else (say, Padme). It would be hard to pit Anakin against Dooku because I'm not sure he'll have a reason to fight Dooku similar to the reasons Luke had. I don't think Anakin will want to turn Dooku back, and I also can't imagine Anakin would attack Palpy and ignore Dooku. It seems like Dooku is the one Anakin hates. By E3, they'll both be dark siders, but they'll be rival dark siders. The only thing I can imagine is Anakin and Dooku will have to compete for Palpy's attention.
  11. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    If that is Palpatine on a Trade Fed ship, then am I to assume The Turn may take place on a spacecraft?

It looks to me like a prop sitting in the chair rather than a person, the head is weird......could that perhaps be a differant character other than Palpatine? Palpatine's master? Maybe that's getting too far out.

Anakin has plenty of reason to get at Dooku since he was responsible for a number of Jedi getting killed and he took Anakin's arm. Interesting that the original title used to throw people off for ROTJ was Revenge of the Jedi, revenge being what Anakin will be seeking against Dooku among, I assume, whatever else is going on plot-wise at the moment they meet again.
  12. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6

Why is it too powerful a thing for just that function for the key scene of the entire pt? The very reason the pt were made.

I think perhaps you misunderstood me. The chair in those photos was under speculation as being the place where Palpy was being held while kidnapped. The kidnapping allegedly occurs at the beginning of the film, which is way too early for Palp's to be proposing that Anakin join him to rule the Galaxy. It is just a chair, but it seems like a more important image than that- to be used later in the film, instead of the opening battle scenes.

I'd imagined a parallel scene to the CT for Anakin as well, but I thought it would be more along the lines of Anakin being baited into using the dark side in an attempt to protect someone else (say, Padme).

Entirely possible. I think "protecting Padme" could end up being a key thing.

It would be hard to pit Anakin against Dooku because I'm not sure he'll have a reason to fight Dooku similar to the reasons Luke had. I don't think Anakin will want to turn Dooku back, and I also can't imagine Anakin would attack Palpy and ignore Dooku. It seems like Dooku is the one Anakin hates. By E3, they'll both be dark siders, but they'll be rival dark siders. The only thing I can imagine is Anakin and Dooku will have to compete for Palpy's attention.

I feel Anakin's reasons for killing Dooku are simply, he's a Sith and he lopped off his arm. The scenario being proposed is that in the opening battle scene Palpatine is kidnapped and in the rescue attempt Anakin kills Dooku (or something like that). Therefore Dooku dies early on, and there is no competition.

If that is Palpatine on a Trade Fed ship, then am I to assume The Turn may take place on a spacecraft?

Again, it seems like Palpy being on a Trade Federation ship has something may have something to do with this kidnapping thing. Putting the pieces together, this also seems like part of the opening sequence, long before The Turning scene.

This is just me trying to put the pieces together in the most logical way.
  13. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey, did anyone notice the small picture on page 25? It is on the bottom left. Is it me, or does that look EXACTLY like the beneath the stairs shot from the DSII in ROTJ? You can even see what might look like the circular controls panels in the background on the right.

Maybe Palpatine uses a standard layout for his throne room on various ships.
  14. LordSilvertouch Force Ghost

star 4
    Woah. Lookin' good episode 3. *crosses fingers it doesn't do a matrix 2 on everyone*
  15. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Just got my mag on Monday. Getting very excited about EPIII. This looks to be a great flick. Pics were awesome!
  16. darthyorktown Jedi Knight

Great pics, even though I already saw them.
    Rock on!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.