main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Pillars of Eternity Series

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The Great No One, Sep 14, 2012.

1. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    well, i did that too. i just did a reload to do basically everything possible in those really key moments since i was curious. talking to ravel for instance. both were very interesting. think i had 26 just because i can't stand an odd number, and the same int. of course how high you can get your stats in that is just mildly silly all the way around.

2. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I just got this game. It is really fun with great writing and relatively bug free to boot. I decided to play an Aumaua Barbarian. I decided to play a Barb because they looked fun and none of the Obsidian companions had that class. I prefer to play with Companions that have actual story instead of the soulless custom-made hirelings from the adventurer's hall. I will always take role play over min-maxing and J.E. Sawyer specifically designed the game so it was do-able with any party combo on the lower difficulties at least. I was disappointed that there were only 8 companions since Baldur's Gate 2 had like double that number, but the characters I have met so far seem to have more depth than the BG crew. Quality over quantity I suppose.
    Unfortunately it seems that Chris Avellone had a rather limited influence on this game, despite getting top billing in the Kickstarter promotion. http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9733. It was especially disappointing to see how Grieving Mother was scaled back from Chris's original idea because she is by far the most interesting of the companions and a dungeon exploring her mind sounds awesome. Obsidian is full of excellent writers and Pillars shows this, but I find it rather annoying that they sell the game using Chris Avellone as an incentive and than they cut most of the things he actually worked on. I think this game took more inspiration from Baldur's Gate instead of Planescape Torment.

3. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Pfft, just get 25 wisdom and then there isn't even a final fight. I think there's only 1 fight in the whole game you can't avoid, and you can use your mad stats to get Dakkon powered up enough to win it anyway. :p[/quote]

The fight with that mage which helps you during the entire game cannot be avoided. Bar that, IIRC everything can be avoided (although there will always be the random encounters).

Won the final battle without fighting, which gives you the best ending.

4. TheRevanchist

Dec 13, 2012
    I think that the game was promoted more as a Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale successor, rather than Planescape Torment successor. Also, Avellone if I am not mistaken has been working on Tides of Numenara which will be released later this year.

Good year for RPG lovers.

5. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    avellone is also project lead on something else that's been going on for the last six months, a new ip i believe. then there's also that you have to consider that eric fenstermacher kinda cheated, he ended up working with george zeits on his narrative proposal, which i suspect is very much why it won. if anyone can trump avellone it's adding the power of zeits.

6. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    Even without Ziets's help Fenstermaker is a pretty awesome writer. Vault 11 and Craig Boone were some of the best bits of writing in Fallout: New Vegas. I'm looking forward to seeing how the main quest plays out. I'm currently doing some side quests in Defiance Bay. So far I have been really enjoying the story, and especially the companions.

7. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    that's where i am now actually, defiance bay.

and no arguments, fenstermaker is very good. but he still cheated by combining zeits narrative into it. i mean, that's just really not fair. :p

8. TheRevanchist

Dec 13, 2012
    I am stucked in some of the side quests. Either dialogue options cannot be chosen (cause I don't have a very high resolve or might, I invested on all categories but don't shine at either of them bar constitution - I am a fighter) or I can't open the door with bells on that temple. :confused:

9. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    at the beginning of the game?

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I just fiddled with the bells until i got the right combination. Got it on my fourth or fifth try. I wanna say it was middle, right, left, right but I could be wrong.

11. TheRevanchist

Dec 13, 2012
    It was right, middle, left, right.

Just finished that quest (with my two companions and an adventurer). An awesome, but very difficult quest.

The game is so hard compared with modern RPG.

12. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm playing on Easy and I got a game over. As if that would ever happen in a Bethesda RPG! I love it.

13. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i eschewed easy because i've never played one of these on easy before in my life. i just kinda rofl stomp things if i'm paying attention on that difficulty. (tried exactly once back in the day and was like... sooooooooo boring). i think i've had... six or seven TPKs so far.

14. TheRevanchist

Dec 13, 2012
    Playing it on normal, and died quite a few times. The game is quite challenging (like the good old games).

15. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    The game is quite hard. I was playing on Normal and it was manageable at first but I felt like there was a steep difficulty curve after I got to Caed Nua. It is still easier than the first Baldur's Gate though. Low level DnD sucks, especially if you are unfamiliar with 2nd edition DnD rules like I was.

16. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    higher armor is good, right!?!?!

17. TheRevanchist

Dec 13, 2012
    Just arrived at Caed Nua (a party of 6, four companions and an adventurer). Hopefully it isn't difficult, cause on other parts I was doing fine.

I am level 4.

18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    you should be fine. i cleared it with only five

19. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    I think that is more than enough to handle Caed Nua. Most of my difficulties in Caed Nua were caused by my small party, (I only had Aloth, Eder and Kana Rua with me) and I got hit with this huge mob of spiders right after talking to the watcher.

20. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    just, you know, don't go farther down than that at four. you need both a full party and probably level five to really do that

21. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    Yeah. I went to far down Od Nua when I was looking for Kana's book and I got slaughtered. I didn't realize that Kana's quest was supposed to be done at a higher level. I'll probably come back later once I have gotten stronger. At least I have a full party of companions now.

22. TheRevanchist

Dec 13, 2012
    Od Nua apparently is really a never ending labyrinth. It has something like 15 levels, and on the last one there is the most powerful boss in the game (optional though).

Definitely something tio be done late on the game.

23. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    I've switched to a Cipher PC and I'm running a mixed party of Obsidian companions and custom built adventurers. I also bumped the difficulty up to hard since I have gotten used to the mechanics now. I use a custom Barbarian and Rogue, Eder the Fighter, Durance the Priest, and Grieving Mother the Cipher. I have got to commend Chris Avellone for writing Durance and Grieving Mother. They are both far more interesting than all of the other companions, even though I hate Durance for being a terrible person. It's why I bring him with me everywhere. I think Avellone's companion in Torment: Tides of Numenera is my most anticipated part of that game.

24. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i'm looking forward to patrick rothfuss as well, because his writing is just... well, he knows how to make characters very interesting and far more real than most people. but definitely agree with you. i can't stand durance as a person, but he's interesting enough i want him around.

25. TheRevanchist

Dec 13, 2012
    What?