main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pilot most likely to survive a load of skips alone (best NJO pilot)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by JediMaster_Horn, Jun 16, 2002.

?

Pilot most likely to survive a load of skips alone (best NJO pilot)

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Wedge Antilles

31.9%
  2. Luke Skywalker

10.6%
  3. Jacen Solo

0.9%
  4. Jaina Solo

12.4%
  5. Kyp Durron

8.8%
  6. Corran Horn

5.3%
  7. Gavin Darklighter

0.9%
  8. Mara Jade Skywalker

1.8%
  9. Han Solo

24.8%
  10. Tycho Celchu

2.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeistDesFritz

GeistDesFritz Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    I voted for Han. You can't beat experience or the Falcon.
    But I would like to know why Jag isn't on here...?

2. _Zap_

_Zap_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2002
    wedge
    even at his old age

RS SPOILER

he took down a whole squad of skips in a damedged x-wing with no astromech droid

3. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    See above /\
    II

Im sorry but wedge is the best pilot in the galaxy, and he has no scrap of force ability. He is the best because he is THE BEST.

4. BattleDog

BattleDog Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2002
    Skill wise the pilots go like this:

Luke
    Han
    Wedge
    Tycho
    Corran
    Wes
    Jag
    Gavin
    Jaina

Thats my opinion.

5. MegDurron

MegDurron Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2002
    Kyp obviously!!!! he's survived battles when pretty much everyone else died!! Jaina and Jag are nothing without him!

6. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    You have to go with a Force User....no mere mortal would be able to survive the longest.

I choose Luke, but Jaina would be right behind him

7. Kelly

Kelly Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2001
    Wedge and Tycho can both beat Jaina. She's out.

It's been argued that Corran became a better pilot when he learned to use the Force. But think to I, Jedi when Corran flew against the Rogues. Even with the Force, he could BARELY outfly Tycho. I still say Tycho is a better pilot than Corran, just because of this. Corran's out.

In the same battle, Corran flew against Gavin. He didn't seem to have too much trouble with Gavin. Gavin's out.

IIRC, Jaina could outfly Jacen. Not to mention Jacen hasn't exactly been honing his flying skills, so even if he could keep up with Jaina in VP, I don't think he could anymore. Jacen's out.

This leaves Wedge, Tycho, Luke, Mara, Kyp, and Han. All superb pilots. In actuality, all either could outfly a squad of skips or have already done so.

The question never specified what type of craft was being used. Since Han is the only pilot that doesn't fly an X-wing, I will assume for the sake of this exercise that the pilot surviving the skips is in an X-wing. Based on that, I'm ruling Han out because I have never seen him fly an X-wing.

Wedge and Tycho are pretty close in skill, but I think Wedge has beaten Tych in sim exercises more than Tych has beaten Wedge. Therefore, Tycho's out.

This leaves Luke, Mara, Kyp, and Wedge. Arguments can be made in the favor of each pilot. I could sit and debate pros and cons for each pilot, but instead I posit this question: how well would the Force-using pilots fly if an ysalamiri were on board with them? The impression I got in the Jedi Academy books was that whenever Kyp flew, he was always instinctively using the Force to aid him even before he was formally trained. In a way, Luke was, too, although I think he could be a fairly decent pilot without it. Not sure about Mara, but I think she could do ok without it as well. But well enough to survive squadrons of skips?

When it comes down to it, there is only one pilot that is at the top of the list. This pilot has never used the Force and has never needed to. This pilot doesn't need an astromech, communications, a wingman, or odds. Age seems only to play a small factor in limiting his effectiveness. That pilot, of course, is the one and only Wedge Antilles!

8. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Kyp. But then, I'll vote for Kyp in just about everything, won't I? Except the "Who deserves to die" polls, or whatever. Then it'll be, I dunno, some Vong.

Dana

9. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Wedge.

He survived Two Death Stars,twenty odd years of active flight duty, marriage, and two daughters. If he can live thorugh all that, a squad of skips don't stand a chance.
    Now when his girls start dating...[face_mischief]

10. Captain_Yossarian

Captain_Yossarian Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2002
    Wedge all the way.

11. Elori

Elori Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    I say Wedge. Only Rogue (not counting Luke) to survive all three movies! 8-}

12. JediMaster_Horn

JediMaster_Horn Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2002
    Elori: not true. But he's the main one, and the only other one that was flying with Red Squadron at Yavin to survive. But Wedge is the best, simply because he is as good as Luke without the Force. Now several Jedi could outfly him, but there aren't any Jedi on the other side, now are there?

13. the_jedi_princess

the_jedi_princess Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Kyp, Corran, Jaina. :D

14. WRAITH_LEADER

WRAITH_LEADER Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2002
    Wedge already took out a squad and a half of his own accord in the Enemy lines series. Besides, he is the best pilot in the Republic.

15. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    My sock and I voted for Wedge because

he did.

Not really on spoilers anymore.

16. PiggyFan

PiggyFan Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2002
    Wedge rox yer sox!

17. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I voted Wedge.

18. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Nice to see you post here Kelly, great page :D

19. WedgeAntilles1

WedgeAntilles1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2002
    Two words: Definetly Wedge

20. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I voted for Gavin. Being Rogue lead has given him the right to be considered the best starfighter pilot around. Wedge is too out of practice and Han has an unfair advantage if he is in the falcon.

21. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    It has to be Wedge for all the reasons everyone else said. He's a great pilot, and he doesn't need to Force to be great. And that whole spoiler thing. ;)

Only complaint I have is why is Jacen Solo, who I don't consider to be all that superb a pilot, on the list when Jagged Fel, who could outfly Jaina, isn't? True, I would have still gone with Wedge, but I think Jag should at least be considered.

~Inyri

22. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I voted for Han, but I think it would be a tie between Wedge and him. Han would make becuase of luck, Wedge would make it because of skill.

23. CptCorranHorn

CptCorranHorn Jedi Master star 5

Oct 16, 2002
    It really comes down to Corran, Luke, Wedge, and Tycho. The others are very good pilots, with the exception of Jacen, but they aren't good enough.

If the fight was against, say, TIE Fighters, there would be no doubt it would be Luke, because of the Force. But now, against the Vong, his chances would be slim. Same for Corran, although he would do slightly better than Luke, because he was a more active pilot than Luke.

That leaves Wedge and Tycho, and between the two of them, it's really no question. Wedge, hands down.

24. Corran9

Corran9 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Interesting question.

Well since the last few books have been nothing but Jaina, many people are starting to think shes the best. Of course thats not true though...shes the best of her generation. But in a fight like this experience counts for alot...maybe even more than pure talent.

Now lets analize the key pilots: Wedge, Tycho, Luke, Corran, Gavin, Kyp, Jag and Han.

In order to last in a fight by yourself against a squad youd need to be in a quick fighter...nor a quick freighter. So that cuts out Han on the basis that he would need someone to do the shooting while he's flying. If it were Han piloting with Chewiw co-piloting and Luke and Corran in the turrets there would be no question they'd be fine.

So that leaves the fighters. Its a known fact Wedge is better than Tycho. That eliminates him. Wedge admits Luke is better than him, and I tend to believe him. That eliminates Wedge despite him being one of the best. That leaves Corran, Kyp, Gavin and Jag. Id rate them:Corran, Jag, Kyp, Gavin. So that leaves Corran vs Luke and despite me being an obvious Corran fan, I dont think he is better than Luke. So I give it to Luke.

Luke
    Corran
    Wedge
    Tycho
    Jag
    Kyp
    Gavin

25. moff_Sammael

moff_Sammael Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2001
    What the... Where's Jag Fel?!! :eek:

Thread Status: