main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pilots in Star Wars...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by darthbarracuda, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Why exactly are there pilots in Star Wars?

We have drones that are controlled via remotely while a pilot sits on a computer. No risk at all.

So why not in Star Wars?

My ideas are that the enemy could jam the signal and make the drones useless, or the area where all the pilots are stationed could be targeted.

I know GL based the X-wing/tie fighter dogfights off of real WWII footage...but I just want a retcon explanation for why there are still pilots...

2. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    -because people like flying?

and might awell get paid for it

-technically you don't need train drivers either (in this day and age) but you have them, in case something goes wrong

-technology isn't 100 percent reliable

take your pick

3. nostalgia

nostalgia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2011
    Do you remember in Episode I, how when the trade federation ship got destroyed over Naboo by Anakin Skywalker, the entire droid army planet-side just totally collapsed, and was made useless? How totally vulnerable they were the whole time? I'm willing to bet something similar happened in space when that ship was destroyed, and that this is one of the many contributing factors as to why sentient species are needed to fight in armies/space battles against other forces.

Also, say something happens that a droid brain isn't equipped or programmed to handle, because it encountered a variable that was completely unpredictable in battle, as so often happens. Better to have someone who can think quickly, and improvise accordingly, than a droid that has to take the time to process an alternative route whilst getting blown to bits.

4. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Because people like doing it.
    But seriously though, R2 could definitely hold his own, and he's just one of many astromechs...

5. nostalgia

Jul 6, 2011
    There are at least a few (that I have read) EU novels where R2 has to pilot the X-wing by himself, and his functions are highly limited. He eventually needs help, and those scenes weren't even space battles. In battle, I can't imagine he would last very long.

6. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah guys I'm not talking about a droid starfighter; rather a fighter controlled remotely by a sentient out of the combat zone

7. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The simple answer: The movies would be boring, then.

PoorGreedo likes this.
  8. nostalgia

Jul 6, 2011
    How about delay or lag? A millisecond of either, and you're debris.

9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    That would be practical and safe, but boring. And then sales would go down and production will stop of the franchise. So prob. won't happen.

10. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah I agree with you all that it's for sales but I just wanted to see what other people thought. I'm still going with that they could jam your signal...

11. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    It actually seems like a really good idea. But again, sales over (fictional) lives, I guess.

12. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    not only can they jamm the signal they can over-write the signal code

darthhelinith likes this.
  13. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Plus one gorilla combat force targeting the place where the pilots are all remotely piloting from
    --->strategic placement of one or several explosive devices in the main server/pilot's living quarters
    --->BANG
    -----> you now have no fighter ships

14. AdmiralSteven

AdmiralSteven Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    Because in the end, a real live person/being is better than a computer in certain situations.

15. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    Droids cant say Cool things when they are shooting. Its all about the beeping. Although maybe they are saying stuff like "Hell Yeah, Good Shot", that would be cool!

16. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Same reason the Republic Army was made up of Clones and not Droids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.