Amph Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Count_D00ku, Jan 12, 2005.

1. King_of_Red_Lions Force Ghost

star 3
    I first got into classic rock as a junior in high school. I remember having arguments with a friend of mine at work about who was better: The Beatles or Pink Floyd. He was a real Floyd Fanatic and introduced me to them. The first song I heard and loved was 'Coming Back To Life' from the Division Bell.

I own: Pulse, Division Bell, The Final Cut, The Wall, Meddle and Momentary Lapse of Reason.

I prefer the Post-Waters Gilmour-led Floyd.
  2. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Wot? No Dark Sideo of the Moon or Wish You Were Here? [face_shame_on_you]
  3. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I realise I'm remiss in reporting on the Roger Waters show (and the Clapton one) I attended last weekend.

[image=http://www.stuff.co.nz/images/277014.jpg]

Roger Waters was a wonderful spectacle, full on production, surround sound, pyrotechnics, inflatables, huge video wall - and incredible sound. I had been worried about Roger's voice having seen a few recent YouTube clips, but the break over the New Year has worked wonders. Strong, loud, tuneful vocals. And of course with most of the band singing and providing BVs the sound was just huge.

There were a few songs where you could have been watching a Floyd Tribute band when Rog wasn't on vocals. On a couple of songs you know it would have been exactly the same whether Roger was there or not, but those moments passed quickly. The lead guitarist didn't have the subtlety of Gilmour, but then who does?

Obviously the show more of a 'spectacle' than Clapton's (I'll do a report on that one later today), and a Greatest Hits set (which suited a casual fan like myself).

Found the Waters saxophonist blog, here. Nice to read what they got up to here.

Set list;

Set One

1. In the Flesh
    2. Mother
    3. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
    3b. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun (restarted from guitar solo, as lead gutarists amp had blown)
    4. Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    5. Have a Cigar
    6. Wish You Were Here
    7. Southampton Dock
    8. The Fletcher Memorial Home
    9. Perfect Sense
    10. Leaving Beirut
    11. Sheep

Set Two (The Dark Side of the Moon)

1. Speak to Me
    2. Breathe
    3. On the Run
    4. Time
    5. Breathe (Reprise)
    6. The Great Gig in the Sky
    7. Money
    8. Us and Them
    9. Any Colour You Like
    10. Brain Damage
    11. Eclipse

Encore

1. The Happiest Days of Our Lives
    2. Another Brick in the Wall, Part II
    3. Vera
    4. Bring the Boys Back Home
    5. Comfortably Numb

The inflatable pig was released during Sheep - floated up and away. My friends & I had a laugh about it landing on the nearby motorway and causing mass carnage. The comic strip backing / karaoke lyrics for his new song Leaving Beirut was wonderful.

Press Review

Oh, and if you want to hear what I heard, here's an excellent audience recording of the 2nd set! (with the remainder of the show being posted this weekend sometime). You'll need to sign up to megaupload, but it's well worth it. I'm listening to Us & Them right now. Superb.

4. gabe Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Nice set list. I'm glad to hear his voice has gotten better again, it was pretty rough for a while. It's a shame he was having so much trouble with it at the live8 show.
  5. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    Thanks for the download link, JP. :D Glad you had a great time.
    Roger Waters and Neal Adams. Two living legends.
  6. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention - the new Waters Tour Shirts have "announced" a number of cities that hadn't / haven't been announced in a more formal capacity yet;

[image=http://www.pinkfloydz.com/dates.jpg]

7. gabe Administrator Emeritus

star 6
  8. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    Cranked "Mother" on the way home from work today.
  9. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Just listened to that Auckland bootleg again while mowing the lawns (lunatic is on the grass). Reminded me what an awesome extended intro to Time it was - and inspired having a drum solo crescendo build up at the start of a song rather than wanking on at the end. Also was reminded how the audience cheered at the end of every lead break, whether it be guitar, keys, drums or the incredible female backing singers. Any Colour You Like was just superb, and got one of the biggest cheers of the night at the end.

Man, I can't wait for the rest of the show to be posted!

Oh yeah, I called myself a "casual fan" before, but since realised I own Echoes, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, The Final Cut, Momentary Lapse of Reason, Division Bell, Pulse DVD, In the Flesh (2CD with DVD), Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking, Amused to Death and On An Island. So perhaps a little more familiar with the catalogue than most 'radio hits only' type fan. :p
  10. NorCalBirdz Jedi Master

star 4
    Are Roger Waters shows really any good? The guy can't sing worth a lick, and wasn't the greatest bass player.
  11. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    For your convenience earlier today I posted a review, a link to a press review and a download to 1/2 the concert.
  12. beaujolais2003 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    If you're gonna crank something, crank "The Nile Song".
  13. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    The first set & encore of that Roger Waters Auckland show are now available, but instead of a direct link, I highly recommend that any Pink Floyd fan here register on the http://www.pinkfloydz.com board.

Once registered you will find a Downloads section split into separate boards for Pink Floyd, Gilmour, Waters, Mason, Wright and Barret. The amount and quality of the audio offered on those boards is simply outstanding. Last week I grabbed a beautiful live recording from Waters' Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking tour, with Eric Clapton on lead guitar. Lots and lots of audio (and video) goodness...

The rest of the Auckland show is under the Waters sub-category, obviously.
  14. NorCalBirdz Jedi Master

star 4
    My Pink Floyd album ranking(of the ones I own)

Dark Side
    Animals
    Piper
    Meddle
    The Wall(sorry, can't get into rock operas. Don't kill me please)
  15. Darth-Floyd Force Ghost

star 4
    I saw Waters live in Denmark back in 2002 and I must admit I thought it was way better than both of the Floyd shows I have seen, Momentary tour in 1988 and Division tour in 1994.

And I'm going to see him again the first of may in Denmark! :D

I'm not going to write down all the Floyd/Waters album I got, but I think I have the most ;)
  16. Darth-Floyd Force Ghost

star 4
    And he was great last time I saw him too :)

I especially enjoyed "Leaving Beirut"
  17. Darth Side of the Moon Force Ghost

star 1
  18. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    New Gilmour live CD/DVD out soon 'Live in Gdansk'. So that's the 2nd live set from the On An Island tour.

[image=http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/images/stories/dgdvd/live_in_gdansk.jpg]

He has his own youtube channel now with a couple of clips;

http://www.youtube.com/davidgilmour

More info here;

http://www.davidgilmour.com/gdansk.htm

And here;

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/david-gilmour-live-in-gdansk-update.html

19. superslacker Jedi Padawan

Hi everyone, just wanted to inform the Pink Floyd fans who may be interested that there's a Syd Barrett tribute CD coming out on Dwell Records called "Like Black Holes in the Sky." It features 13 of the underground indie music scene's best. Here's the track listing:

Kosmos [featuring Away, from Voivod] ? Vegetable Man
    Kylesa ? Interstellar Overdrive
    Intronaut ? Arnold Layne
    Stinking Lizaveta ? Matilda Mother [1st recorded vocal performance by Stinking Liz!]
    Jarboe ? Late Night
    Pentagram ? Flaming
    Giant Squid ? Octopus
    Yakuza ? Lucifer Sam
    Jesu [featuring Justin Broadrick from Godflesh] ? Chapter 24
    Unearthly Trance ? Long Gone
    Dredg ? Astronomy Domine
    Circle ? Rats
    Zodiak ? See Emily Play

Click on the link below to order it/hear samples:
    http://dwellrecords.com/web/page.asp?pgs=product&catid=32&id=1397

And for more info, go here:
    www.dwellrecords.com
    www.myspace.com/super8studios

20. Krusty_the_Clone Jedi Master

star 4
  21. Darth Side of the Moon Force Ghost

star 1
    Rest in peace, Richard Wright.

[image=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m20/1FloydFan/Rick.jpg]
  22. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
  23. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Very stunned and sad to hear the news this morning.

The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say.

Rest in peace, Richard.

@};-
  24. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    :(
    @};-

His life seemed to be a shambles by the early 80s, but he really seemed to turn it fully around. Getting back to the band, speaking to Waters, releasing an album, touring, remarrying. I'm happy for him there. :)
  25. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    On his Wiki page, this made me lol;

"He was forced to resign from Pink Floyd during The Wall sessions by Roger Waters, who threatened to pull the plug on the album's tapes if Wright did not leave the band. However, he was retained as a salaried session musician during the subsequent live concerts to promote that album in 1980 and 1981. Ironically, Wright became the only member of Pink Floyd to profit from those hugely spectacular shows, since the net financial loss had to be borne by the three remaining "full-time" members."