main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Piracy - Followed on from the "Hello Everybody Thread"

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Master_Kaustin, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Kaustin

Master_Kaustin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    Post here..

Bah..

Sith I can see what you are saying, but didnt you used to do it before you started working in the film industry?

Locking at author's request.

2. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    He said that he did, until he realised the damage that it causes the industry.

3. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Sith I can see what you are saying, but didnt you used to do it before you started working in the film industry?

Does that make it ok? Does that mean that people who were once drug addicts aren't able to tell others that they are doing themselves harm and warn of the dangers?

Does it mean that someone can blatantly post here telling everyone they got the pirate DVD?

How does having previously done it make it right?

4. Master_Kaustin

May 17, 2002
    Yup I understand that but still the fact that Siths moral standard on piracy changed when he started working in the industry its crap..

Im sorry, I just dont understand why someone can have ago at someone else for piracy when they used to do it themselves, its a total double standard..

And thats my opinion!

Edited ---- below

You having a go at Shadow for having a pirated DVD, when you used to do it yourself Sith, the fact that you have now changed due to your new career doesnt mean you can sit there and have a go at people.. I know you never back down when you think you have a valid arguement, but i think you should take a step back from this one..

5. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    So, because my eyes have been opened to the very real consequences, not only for jobs but for the continuing quality of what the viewing public will get to see, I have a double standard for pointing out I was wrong in the past and some people are wrong now.

How does that work?

You still haven't explained how any of this makes piracy right, in fact, you seem to be dodging the actual point in an effort to just continue an argument.

You having a go at Shadow for having a pirated DVD, when you used to do it yourself Sith,

And how was my point directed at him any different to the one I made at Menace1976? As I said, for someone who wanted to work in the film industry, I felt Shadow should have known better, especially for a film still in theatres.

the fact that you have now changed due to your new career doesnt mean you can sit there and have a go at people..

Actually, like yourself, I can say what I want on a stance I have taken.

I know you never back down when you think you have a valid arguement, but i think you should take a step back from this one..

Why? It's still a valid argument is it not?

Back off from me for a minute, stop making this personal. You tell me why it's ok for someone to pirate films, don't go pointing out everyone does it, or that I used to, I want you to tell me why my view that piracy is wrong, is wrong.

Isn't that the point of this thread? Or is the point so you can have a go at me?

6. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    If Sith was saying that it's ok for him to do it, but not for everyone else, then that would be a double standard. But by admitting that it was the wrong thing to do means he is not a hypocrit (sp?)

It's all well and good for those of us outside of the film industry to say 'one more copy won't send the studios broke'

But what if everyone did it ??

I think with Sith's current line of employment he is more than justified to tell people it's wrong and tell them why.

7. Master_Kaustin

May 17, 2002
    Im not saying Piracy is right.. I know it is wrong...

My opinion in the matter is that someone shouldnt get shot down because he/she has made the choices to do it..

"Elliot, seeing as you're someone who hopes to one day work in the film industry, I'm utterly ashamed of you."

I know you are allowed your opinion, but I was offended and Im pretty sure Shadow was by that comment..

Im doing film work at the moment, and the fact that i dont mind watching the odd pirated dvd here and there doesnt phase me, but it is my choice to make, no one elses... You also have to remember that you werent in the film industry when you were doing it, and at the moment in a way neither is elliot.. Maybe when elliot starts working full time on film then his views may change.

You know yourself how much talent Elliot has, and Im pretty sure he will surpass anything your doing at the moment in the not to distant future...

Isn't that the point of this thread? Or is the point so you can have a go at me?

Even if it was someone else i would still be like this.. this isnt a personal attack..

8. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Thank you Aztec.

Kaustin, unless you can present an argument that piracy is an ok thing to do, depsite it being illegal, and also against the Terms of Service for this site to promote and you stay away from trying to draw this into a personal argument by targeting me, then I think we're done here.

EDIT:

Im not saying Piracy is right.. I know it is wrong...

Then the point of this thread is....?

My opinion in the matter is that someone shouldnt get shot down because he/she has made the choices to do it..

Maybe not, but if they're going to come onto a public internet message board and treat the matter with such disregard for laws, the moral and ethical implications and it's effect on the film industry, then I'm going to call them on it.

"Elliot, seeing as you're someone who hopes to one day work in the film industry, I'm utterly ashamed of you."

I know you are allowed your opinion, but I was offended and Im pretty sure Shadow was by that comment..

I was offended someone who wants to work in the industry also treated piracy with such disregard, Elliot knows where I'm coming from.

Im doing film work at the moment, and the fact that i dont mind watching the odd pirated dvd here and there doesnt phase me, but it is my choice to make, no one elses...

Actually, it's the government's choice through law to make, and they say you can't do it.

You also have to remember that you werent in the film industry when you were doing it, and at the moment in a way neither is elliot.. Maybe when elliot starts working full time on film then his views may change.

None of which prevents me from giving my opinion on the matter, does it?

You know yourself how much talent Elliot has, and Im pretty sure he will surpass anything your doing at the moment in the not to distant future...

I do know how talented he is, and I would hope he surpasses anything I'm doing at the moment , as I also hope to surpass that.

Even if it was someone else i would still be like this.. this isnt a personal attack..

So, what is it then? is it to justify piracy? Or is it, as it seems so far, an effort to try and make me look like ahypocrite? Because if there's any hipocracy in here, it's where you;re telling me I'm wrong to have said what I did, while still going on about you being able to post your opinion.

9. Master_Kaustin

May 17, 2002
    As i said, If this was someone else I would be exactly the same.. Me and you may have had some differences in the past but meh..

Take it as you want.. if the Mods think this thread is against the TOS then close it Im fine with that...

I know Piracy is wrong! I dont condone it but people have the choice if they want to do it..

10. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Kaustin, you're saying piracy is wrong, yet you started a thread to argue the point with me. If we both agree it's wrong, then why is an argument taking place?

You started this thread to try and call me on hipocracy, and tell me I had no right to tell someone off for freely posting about getting a pirate copy of RotS. I'm afraid you're wrong on both counts.

I dont condone it but people have the choice if they want to do it..

Yes, the same choice they have to speed in a car, deal drugs, murder someone or falsify tax records. All of those activities are illegal, as is piracy, I fail to see the justification for pircay being that one has a choice to do it.

11. Master_Kaustin

May 17, 2002
    Yup we have the same views.. all is good..

But i didnt like it when you personally had a go at Shadow. You have a right to your opinion, But that line about you being ashamed was out of line in my view..

Anyways

Ive said what i wanted in regards to this issue, Im more then happy for a mod to close it.

12. sithmastersimon

sithmastersimon Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    Ok now is the time to start handing out chill pills

I think in cases like this we should all just agree to disagree. Piracy of any form of media or new media is something that will never go away, no matter how many people think it is right or wrong, it is probably useless debating our own opinion on the matter based on our positioning in the issue. Although you all make valid points in your arguments, this debate isn't going to be resolved on here and I think you all know that.

The problem with Internet forums is that people get into a heated argument and without actually physically speaking to who they are arguing with, the fight goes on and on and on.

But that's just my opinion and it's probably only worth 2 cents....and 2 cents doesn't exist anymore

13. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Ah, now we get to the heart of the matter. So you did open this thread to just have your say at me? Well in that case, you're no better than I for my comments about being ashamed of Elliot for having a pirate copy, a statement I stand by.

At least I didn't have to create a whole thread to say it.

EDIT:

Although you all make valid points in your arguments, this debate isn't going to be resolved on here and I think you all know that.

What debate? Piracy is illegal, effects the film industry and is also against the Terms of Service for this board for it to be promoted in any way. There is no debate.

In any event, it's clear that's not why this thread was started.

14. Master_Kaustin

May 17, 2002
    Simon,

Im chilled.. never thought this to be a heated arguement.. dont worrie me and sith have had worse.. and I agree to disagree..

people can have there opinions but personal attacks per say, to me is a no no.. thats just the way I am..

-Sith, and no Its not just because of Shadow, but that was a big part of it, its got to do with the whole hipocracy as well.. but i really cant be bothered..

15. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    its got to do with the whole hipocracy as well..

And as it's been pointed out you you a few times now, there is no hipocracy. Sure, you'd have a point if I was still viewing pirate copies of films that are available in the theatre, for rent or purchase, but seeing as this is not the case, you have no point.

In the future, I'd appreciate it if you could think things through before starting a thread for the specific purpose of having an argument with one user.

16. Master_Kaustin

May 17, 2002
    I wanted to continue with the arguement.. so thats why i Made this thread i wanted it out of Nat's

Im not gonna comment any further on this you think you have done nothing wrong and i think different.. Im gonna ask a mod to remove the thread..

ta

17. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Yes, you wanted to specifically target me in the guise of a debate about piracy.

I did nothing wrong, and you know it.

When hasn't someone been able to say they are ashamed of another person working in an industry who has done an act that, albiet in a small way, contributed to the downturn in that industry?

On the scale of things, starting a whole new thread to have a go at someone is far worse than someone saying they are ashamed of someone's actions. I still don't see how what I said can be contrued as wrong, particularly when I'm saying something I feel, are you the authourity on my thoughts and feelings now?

Now, are you done? Or is there any more of your ass I can hand to you on a platter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.