main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pirates and Privateers: The Official Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Captain_Twelve, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Twelve

Captain_Twelve Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2003
    Pirates and Privateers
    [image=http://www.pen-paper.net/images/rpgdb/weg40143.jpg]

Product Code: WEG 40143
    ISBN: 0-87431-294-9

One of the better collaborations between West End Game gods, Timothy O'Brien (Cracken's Threat Dossier, Stongholds & Hideouts, etc.) and Eric Trautmann (Darkstryder, Tales of the Jedi Companion, Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook, etc.)

This Star Wars sourcebook opened up the Star Wars world to the high adventure, excitement and danger of being a pirate or privateer in the time of the Galactic Civil War. Directed towards "Rebel" pirates and privateers, the book could also be generally used for information on all kinds of such scoundral's who roamed the spacelanes looking for booty.

The book included a detailed, in-depth look at all facets of the life of a Star Wars pirate. Beginning with proper definitions and the differences between pirates and privateers, it quickly got into the meat of the topic - raiding. Pirates and Privateers introduces us to all sorts of dirty tricks like running silent, which a pirate could use to help him in his chosen profession. Then, it covered the typical life of a pirate as well as the plunder and equipment which pirates are inclined to encounter.

A whole chapter was dedicated to the most important part of being a pirate - having the right ship for the right job.

And of course, it looked at all of the various kinds of opposition a pirate should expect to see.

Pirates and Privateers paved the way for a better look at a whole new kind of adventure within the Star Wars galaxy. It was followed by the companion piece - the Far Orbit Project.

So, what did you think of Pirates and Privateers?

Arrrrr!

2. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Never read it myself :p ;)

but I came in here thinking that "Pirates & Privateers" was a Cptn. Panaka story from SW Gamer. It's obviously not, so what was I thinking of?

as for the book (to keep a shred of on topicness [face_blush] ), has it ever been referenced in the EU? Are there any cool tidbits that would be interesting to know?

~Clear seas

3. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    This one's pretty a propos, today of all days... [face_laugh]

4. Captain_Twelve

Sep 16, 2003
    IIRC, Urias Xaxen (sp?) of the NJO's Dark Tide infamy appeared in either Pirates and Privateers or the Far Orbit Project.

5. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Wow, that's cool! :D I quite liked Xaxhen, pity he wasn't in it for that long.

~Clear seas

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Arrr, me mateys... the only thing ye need to be knowin' about the "Pirates and Privateers" rag is that it be costin' th'most of all of these here Star Wars bone-rolling games on the auction block...

7. Captain_Twelve

Sep 16, 2003
    Arrrr, dp. That it be.

Here's a pirate contest for the likes of the pirate days. Just how many different ways are there for how many different people to butcher Xhaxin's name?

The winner of the contest gets...

...to walk the plank! Arrrrrrrr!

8. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    ARRR! Looks like an approprite book for the day! ARRR! If only me eyes could read...

9. RossN

RossN Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2002
    Arrh! I remember that book well one of me first purchases for WEG. I was a planning to go on the account, but I was scuppered. The advice on regular non-rebel hands was basically 'Don't'. Sink me, bucko but it wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Still a worthwhile bit o'plunder though.

Do chuid

10. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Shiver me timbers, who wrote Pirates and Privateers?

11. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Arrrrrr! Design was O'Brien. Development and editing was Trautmann.

12. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Do it 'ave any infermation aboot them scurvy pirates, Raskar an' Crimson Jack?

TC

13. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Isn't it a wee bit early to be putting on your forum Halloween costume, Genghis? Personally, it's a bit early for this years JC Halloween theme to be released as they always seemed to wait for October to but it up.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Arrr, matey... 'tis NOT All Hallows Eve, but 'tis "Talk Like a Pirate Day"...

15. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    You mean talk like a movie pirate day. Just how many real pirates actually talked like how Hollywood potrayed them to talk?

16. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Knight I think you can take it farther back than movies, to novels written in the late 19th, early 20th century.

Treasure Island is one that comes to mind.

17. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Shiver me timbers! I likes the way Pop-Eye talks better!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.