main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Aug 22, 2013.

1. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    From page 1

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I read it at least twenty years ago. I believe it's credited as being a huge influence on the PotC series as a whole, adding magic and zombies to the pirate genre, with the Fountain of Youth and Blackbeard being the major elements taken for the 4th film.

Though I enjoyed Powers' OST, I'd place it forth favourite of the Tim Powers books I've read; The Anubis Gates, which involves time travel, black magic and poetry in the early nineteenth century is my favourite, The Drawing of the Dark (King Arthur, reincarnation, beer) I'd place second, and Forsake the Sky (pulpy sci-fi with swords) third.

I'll also second jabberwalkie's recommendation of Black Sails, even though the first season is kind of trashy and inferior to what comes later.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Don't remember that all lol

4. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Literally the first reply to this thread. You've become a jaded bitter old man.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I like the look of Salazar's ship, more unique than the other ships we've seen.

6. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    So excited! Who's the bald chick? Maybe some more voodoo lore in this one?

7. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    So....what happened to Angelica after the voodoo doll post-credits scene?

And is Barbossa still captaining the Queen Anne's Revenge?

And is anyone else still kind of disappointed that they didn't resurrect Ian McShane for another go as Blackbeard? Because Ian McShane is awesome in everything.

Not really. It looks like the Flying Dutchman crossed with the cursed Black Pearl.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    They're really trying to bury Johnny Depp in the marketing for this movie. Two previews so far and he's been in it for two seconds.

Snax Rebo likes this.
  9. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    SithSense, I hope Blackbeard appears. It would tie the 4th movie in with the rest a lot better.

SithSense likes this.
  10. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

Did anything really ever come of that abuse scandal with his ex? I mean does Disney really think It will drive fans away? My sister still loves Johnny Depp and has a huge crush on him, we are still seeing the movie!

11. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Looking forward to Pirates of the Carribean 6: Skint Men Make More Films

Jedi Merkurian and Rylo Ken like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So Johnny Cash is the new BWOMM or piano strike for trailer cliches now?

I'd actually be very curious to see what their original trailer approach would have been in a world without a Logan teaser to gain inspiration/copy from.

Some cool visuals, though. The water walking, the segmented ship, Barbossa's expressions, etc. I wonder if that glimpse of Bloom is hinting at a Salazar ghost fleet vs Will's cursed Dutchman?

Snax Rebo and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I'm wondering why Barbossa still has his privateer look? Didn't he abandon the wig and the other hat for his old hat at the end of Pirates 4?

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    What, this?
    Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 11.54.03 PM.png

Pretty damn different IMO.

15. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Well in THAT shot it looks like an erect penis...

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Or a centipede rearing up. But, sure, penis, why not?

Todd the Jedi , EHT and Snax Rebo like this.
  17. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    Probably more or less the same, just without Johnny Cash in the background.

Wait, the two aren't interchangeable?

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One has fewer legs.

19. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I just gotta say that I loved the first three movies. Davy Jones and Barbossa were great characters. I felt that Elizabeth and Will's story had ended, and as such, I don't know why Will is returning. I, like many people, interpreted Will as having fulfilled his duty as captain of the Dutchman. Thus, we believed that he would have completed his duty and had consequently achieved his freedom to return to his family. Plus, Elizabeth became the Pirate King. It was badass.

I wasn't a big fan of the fourth film, but I liked Barbossa's role in it. I do find Jack compelling and funny, particularly in the first and third films, but I doubt I will see this film. I've been boycotting Depp since I found out about what he did to Amber Heard last summer, although I definitely wasn't happy with his remarks about her bisexuality in early 2014. Apparently, I didn't miss anything with Through the Looking Glass.

20. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

The funny thing about the fourth film, I felt it was more about Barbossa than Jack. In fact, Barbossa's arc was similar to Jack's in the first film: deprived of his ship, seeks to either regain it and/or get revenge on the pirate who stole it from him.

21. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    New full trailer has been released.

I quite enjoyed the original, finding it a breath of fresh air back in '03 (Wow, has it been that long?), but I thought 2 and 3 were overlong slogs and 4 utterly forgettable. This one's looking like it could be a bit better (With Bardem serving as a strong villain), and after 6 years away (Again, can't believe it's been that long), what's old may feel new again; or at least welcome.

Sarge and PCCViking like this.
  22. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    What I can't figure out is why is Barbossa still dressed like he's a privateer? Didn't he get his old hat back at the end of the last one? Yet, he still has the hat he wore for all of #4.

23. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    "The Final Adventure"

more alternative facts

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

One can only hope.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "The Final Adventure"

Oh, this is the last one?

"Begins"

Oh. Nope. This sets up the final film it seems.