main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    What are your thoughts on 1-4? Just curious.

2. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Plan on seeing it Saturday. Liked 1-3, even though they could have shaved well over 20 minutes from 3 and been fine. Stranger Tides was alright for me but wasn't anywhere near the first three. Saw a 10 minute preview at Disney last month for this and it was a good action scene, made me excited for the movie.

Grievousdude likes this.
  3. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Black Pearl is my favorite- I like the other 3 but for me the first one is the most special.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm planning on seeing the movie this Friday.

I don't remember much of anything of the third film and I skipped the fourth one.

What do I need to know from those flicks to enjoy number 5?

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Hard to say until someone sees the 5th and can tell you what's referenced.

But, from what we know so far, the fate of Orlando Bloom's character in the 3rd (including the stinger) and the ship in a bottle from the 4th play a role.

The marketing actually says "The Final Adventure Begins", the last word being the important qualifier. In other words, the final story starts here but will probably conclude in the 6th.

Darkslayer likes this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Not doing very well critically so far- about on par with On Stranger Tides. Though it's funny, I didn't realize DMC and AWE were as low as they are, and I enjoy those a ton. So perhaps this'll be a watch for Super Tuesday.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  8. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Please don't worry about Depp's career imploding; his ace in the hole is Edward Scissorhands II.

9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I saw it last night. My thoughts under the spoiler tag:

In many ways, it felt like a remake of Dead Man's Chest. First, we have the title: Dead Men Tell No Tales (as opposed to Dead Man's Chest). Second, we have a vengeful pirate pursuing Jack Sparrow. Then we have a young man looking to rescue his father from a curse. Finally, we have a British official/officer hoping to take control of the seas. As for the post-credits scene, it implies that a villain from any of the previous movies has returned.

As for Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow, it's sad to say, but he's gotten increasingly worse with each film. His best performances were the first three (the first one being the best); maybe the producers recognized the danger, because in the fourth film, it seemed to be equally about Barbossa as it was about Jack. His performance here was underwhelming.

As for the villains, Javier Bardem did a good job, but there was one weakness that really kept him from being a true threat (and once again, another similarity to POTC 2). I felt the British Lieutenant was more of a threat to the heroes, then Salazar. Even then, he was Norrington and Beckett, without the inert goodness (Norrington) or the slimeball nature (Cutler Beckett). All in all, the villains have taken a downturn since the first three of the franchise. In number 4, I felt Angelica was a stronger character than Blackbeard, with no disrespect to Ian McShane, who probably pulled off that role better than any other actor.

10. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Great, it's seeming like yet another instance of the trailers being cool but the actual film being poor.

11. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    That's not to say the movie is bad. There are some highlights, though, but I won't spoil them.

12. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Painless viewing

Nothing mind blowing, but the film does have its moments. Few though they may be. I won't lie and say I didn't smile ear to ear when the Pearl returned. I knew Barbossa was toast as soon as they threw the daughter reveal in there, which I swear felt random to me. Barbossa was probably my favorite character of the franchise. Mr. Sparrow comes off less the greatest pirate ever, and more of a caricature. And the macguffin is pretty much the same as the fountain of youth. It shows up, is used for 5 minutes, and then destroyed.

The greatest take away is that everything is now pretty much tied up into a nice little bow, and is done fairly nicely. You can tell the idea of turning this into a trilogy is now over, and hopefully this will be the end.

Watch it for some nostalgia that will make you smile, and be glad that this will probably be the end of it.

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I haven't liked the last two Pirates films. I hope this one is better than the last one especially.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Guys, this is like listening to Tea Party Republicans try to justify disliking Donald Trump. This didn't just happen. This series has been terrible for a long time. Basically every single one but the first one, which was really only okay, and surprising insofar as it wasn't terrible. Let's get a grip here.

TheAvengerButton likes this.
  15. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I still have yet to see the 4th one. Maybe once this comes out I'll rent/stream 4 &5 together.

I love the first one, second was decent, third was kind of forgettable, mostly because of how dark it was compared to the more fun first two.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This was better than 4 but not the first 3. Recall the officer who admired Jack. "That's got to be the best pirate I've ever seen," and "Do you think he plans it all out ahead or just makes it up as he goes along?" That feeling is not in this. Jack is just sort of along for the ride.

One thing I dislike in movies is when the heroes are in some precarious situation and seem to be straining in some way, which I guess is meant to be dramatic, but they spend extra time on these straining moments waiting for The Big Moment That Happens and it's usually engulfed in cartoon-like cgi making it worse. There's a bit of that in this flick.

The movie doesn't suck, but how hard is it to look at the first film(or first 3) and make it feel like that?

It looks like they really want to make a sixth, and perhaps as the movie shows:

Turner and Swan will be along for the ride[/url]

heels1785 and PCCViking like this.
  17. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I love Dead Man's Chest (not as much as the first of course), but At World's End dropped the ball on a lot of things and then On Stranger Tides was a disaster. Was hoping this latest one could at least get Captain Jack back to near his more humorous peak....

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So the Internet pirates hacking Pirates movie (and later someone claiming they had The Last Jedi) was fake news. A hoax! A swindle! A con! Hoghwash! Someone piggybacking off paranoia of the legit leak of Orange if the New Black to scam Disney dollrahs. No, really!

Investigative reporting by torrentfreak website:

https://torrentfreak.com/was-the-disney-movie-hacking-ransom-a-giant-hoax-170524/

At this point one has to wonder. If no credible evidence of a leak has been made available and the threats to leak the movie haven’t been followed through on, what was the point of the whole affair?
    Money appears to have been the motive, but it seems likely that none will be changing hands. But would someone really bluff the leaking of a movie to a company like Disney in order to get a ‘ransom’ payment or scam a release group out of a few dollars? Perhaps.
    Braidley informs TF that Darkness/EMH recently claimed that he’d had the copy of The Last Jedi since March but never had any intention of leaking it. He did, however, need money for a personal matter involving a family relative.
    With this in mind, we asked Darkness/EMH why he’d failed to carry through with his threats to leak the movie, bit by bit, as his email to Disney claimed. He said there was never any intention of leaking the movie “until we are sure it wont be traced back” but “if the right group comes forward and meets our strict standards then the leak could come as soon as 2-3 weeks.”

So while Deadline and Hollywood Reporter said Pirates had been stolen (and this guy talking to torrentfreak said he had The Last Jedi) but then comes along Iger who says this:

https://torrentfreak.com/even-fake-leaks-can-help-in-hollywoods-anti-piracy-wars-170527/

“To our knowledge we were not hacked,” Iger said. “We had a threat of a hack of a movie being stolen. We decided to take it seriously but not react in the manner in which the person who was threatening us had required.”

So it can be beneficial for Disney to generate sympathy saying they were "hacked" and to bring up the spectre of the Sony hack or OisNB leaking, in reality, nobody hacked anybody.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Saw it this evening- it's a much more worthy follow-up to the original three films than Stranger Tides, And, thankfully, you can pretty much outright skip the fourth movie if you were to watch the series to this point. The only notable elements from the fourth film I noticed were:

The Black Pearl in a bottle and Blackbeard's sword freeing it- and that's only for one scene. To a lesser degree you also have Barbossa as a pirate admiral and a throwaway reference to mermaids but they're trivial and don't require any context or explanation.

So unless
    whatever it is that Jack is searching for at the end of the film "beyond the horizon"
    connects to OST somehow, we're thankfully seemingly able to just watch 1-3, 5 and, going by the stinger, 6 and get an uninterrupted story.

Though the film isn't as fun as the first film, as funny as the second film or as emotional as the third film, it's still better than the fourth. Salazar makes for a threatening villain that feels different from the past ones (a problem that Blackbeard had), though the two new leads aren't as good as Turner and Swan, they're far better than the two kids from the fourth. The subplot with British captain played by "Harold" didn't really add anything either- he was just a disposable villain (no fault of the actor, though) and they didn't develop him at all.

Also, the film's score doesn't feel as empty as the fourth's either (while the score here mostly feels like a greatest hits* with few new, notable themes, the small additions aren't bad and at least avoid the "Gee, Blackbeard's theme is just a rip-off of Davey Jones's theme" problem that sunk the fourth's score).

*The more emotional moments are almost entirely ones quoting the AWE theme so, yeah, I couldn't help but tear up towards the end but that's just because that theme is just that good.

I think that's because of Jack's bad luck- a main thing about this film seems to be how Jack is off his game (leading to the compass thing which puts him in worse). Yet, you'll note that the flashback of young Jack has him in that "best pirate" mode, so I think it's intentional in this film. At the same time, the directors said they wanted to regulate Jack to be a supporting character like he was in the first film, so I think that lack of focus may have harmed the bad-luck angle as far as a developed story arc goes.

20. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Which was a complete shame because Ian McShane was a brilliant choice for Blackbeard.

[​IMG]

PCCViking and Sarge like this.
  21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The problem that Blackbeard had in OST was that Barbossa heavily influenced by the historical Blackbeard, everybody loves Barbossa and always has, so where do you go from there?

heels1785 and Sarge like this.
  22. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    So, is this worth seeing in a theater? I do have a decent size TV and a projector and small screen.

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I really enjoyed it so I say yes.

24. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    So, the question is:

How did Davy Jones survived? Even if he survived the stab to his heart, the breaking of the trident should have returned him to normal like it did Will.

Sarge likes this.
  25. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I don't remember Stranger Tides being THAT bad but equally I don't remember much about it in general which is probably going to result in me not bothering with this.