main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Pirates of the Caribbean] "Father and Son" (One-shot)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Quigonjecca, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quigonjecca

Quigonjecca Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Title: Father and Son (I know, not the best title. I'm title-impaired.)
    Genre: One-Shot
    Time Frame: 2 years after AWE
    Characters: Will Turner, "Bootstrap Bill" Turner
    Note: It's a bunny that bit, and I decided to write it. This is my first attempt at POTC fanfic, or any fanfic at all apart from Star Wars. Please let me know what you think!

Wind blew softly through the sails of [i]The Flying Dutchman.[/i] No gulls flew overhead; no fish suddenly leaped from the water. In fact, save for the soft lapping of languid waves against the ship?s wooden hull, there was no sound at all.

Silence.

Bootstrap sighed, running a hand through his stringy hair. Silence was a sound he was becoming all too accustomed to. When he had decided to accompany his son on his journey to the Netherworld, he had not expected to be met with a silent wall.

Grant you, Will did speak. When prompted he joked and laughed; at the correct moments he smiled. But none of the liveliness ever quite reached his eyes. The light seemed to fade into a much darker burden that stretched through his shoulders, making them droop, and reached his feet, causing them to drag a bit along the deck.

Even now, he stood at the wheel, eyes unfocused, and hands sitting still on the wood. He wasn?t moving; he didn?t even appear to be breathing. However, Will?s mouth was moving, as in a silent prayer, murmuring words that Bootstrap couldn?t understand, and wasn?t sure he really wanted to.

?You know,? Bootstrap said, finally rising from his vantage point. ?You used to talk a lot more.?

It took a moment. Will blinked a few times, stopped his whispering and looked blankly at his father. Then he gave one of those half-smiles. ?I just have more to think about now.?

?Oh yes?like, how beautiful the waves are, compared to yesterday?? Bootstrap interjected with dry sarcasm.

?Hmmm?? Will hummed, gazing over the horizon. ?Yes? I mean,? He shook his head. ?No. I meant no.?

Bootstrap laughed, walking over and clapping his son on the back. ?I?m just playing with you, Will.?

?Yes, I know.?

And silence once again engulfed the ship.

?What do you hear?? Bootstrap asked as Will once again resumed his mutterings.

?I hear voices,? Will said hoarsely. ?Many voices. There has been a battle fought today. They?re calling for passage to the Other Realm.? He gulped.

Bootstrap?s eyes widened. ?Is that what you hear?? He almost could have laughed. ?For two years, Will, I?ve tried to figure out what you do when you?re just staring out into nothing. Listening to dead folk!? He harrumphed.

Will laughed?actually more of a chuckle?but it was more than Bootstrap had heard in the last six months.

Bill chuckled along. ?I guess they?re more interesting than I am, eh??

?Not quite,? Will relented, although it was tempting to keep the light banter going. ?I hear them, and it?s? strange. They are ready to go, but they cannot be at peace until we come to ferry them over.?

Bootstrap leaned on the railing. ?Well, how do you know where they are??

?I? don?t know.? Will managed at last. ?But I do know where they are?and these are not far away now.?

?And I suppose that?s why you don?t ever use a compass?? Bootstrap mused.

?I don?t use my compass?? Will asked, turning to his father with a thoroughly confused expression.

Bootstrap laughed. ?No?never.?

?Huh,? Will went back to steering the wheel. ?I didn?t realize that.?

?So? are we there yet??

?What do you think?? Will barked.

?I dunno.? Bootstrap shrugged. ?How do you know when we?re there??

?I just will.?

?Sure you will.?

?Have I gotten us lost yet?? Will challenged.

?Well? no?? Bootstrap was forced to admit. ?But, all the same. We can?t technically get lost, can we??

?I don?t know.? Will shrugged. ?Do you want me to try??

?No, no, no.? He chuckled. ?I think I?d??

Bootstrap was cut off when Will lurched towards the wheel. Bootstrap had his hands on his son?s shoulders in an instant, pulling him up.

?Will? Will, wh

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Oh, this is wonderful, Jecca! I find the stories about Will as captain of the Dutchman fascinating -- especially what it's like for him to sail the seas for 10 years ferrying the souls of the dead. I think you really captured Will's character, and Bootstrap's too! Loved the thing about the compass and how Will doesn't use it. :p

=D=

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh, I love this!! So sweet and a little heartbreaking. I love the Will/Bootstrap interaction. Awesome piece :)

4. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    :_| Sad, yet I loved how Will talked to the dead boy at the end, making their journey a little bit easier. I also liked how he could feel the deaths - very Obi-Wan. :p

5. Lisbev

Lisbev Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2008
    :_| So touching, just how I would have imagined Will to be as the destined captain of the Dutchman.

=D= =D=

6. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Wonderful descriptions. =D=

7. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Nice job, I've never seen a POTC fic with father/son interaction quite like this. This was very bittersweet to read, excellent job! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.