main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Pirates of the Caribbean" Music... This stuff had funk!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Just a forewarning: Those of you who have not seen the movie yet, you might not want read this thread yet.

Anyways, so on to the score! :D While I didn't really notice any themes or motifs in POTC, there was a lot of "mood music" or "filler music" or action cues that were [i]really[/i] cool and funky.

For one, I love the little woodwind note or two that was played in the very beginning so much, and then later on in the movie when the pirates were around again. It isn't played like a normal note, though, it almost sounds like a flute playing a note, except the note is "windy" or something... It sounds like air blowing through a flute, yet with a music note attached. If any of ya know what I mean, back me up. ;) Anyways, I thought this was really cool, and really set the mood for the beginning scene with the all the fog and the mysterious appearance of the boy. Very cool. :D

However, I would have really liked some sort of theme (or two). Without a doubt, there should have been a bad pirates/Black Pearl theme. These pirates have such much history- they're both very evil and yet, somehow we feel pity for them and the curse that has been placed upon them. I really think a theme for the pirates really had great potential.

But! If there was one cue/theme [i]alone[/i] that will get me to buy the soundtrack ([i]it comes out on July 22nd[/i], btw :( ), it was that end battle theme (and it's in the end credits as well)! Man, I was humming this theme all the way home! It really got me psyched and was an excellent choice for the intense swordfighting with Sparrow and Barbosa flitting in and out of the moonlight and changing into and out of skeletons (John Knoll's effects were AWESOME with this stuff- it was so cool to watch! :D )! Without a doubt, I'll be buying this soundtrack when it comes out, and the thing I'll be looking forward to most is this end battle theme! Whoever wrote it did an amazing job! Superb! It ROCKS!

So, what did [i]you[/i] all think of the POTC score? :D

2. AmeiaSkywalker

AmeiaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2001
    I liked it. Though, I'll have to disagree with you, I thought there was a theme running through the movie.
    I don't know if I liked it enough to buy it, it was pretty cool sounding with the movie though.

3. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I tend to agree with Sithy (except that I must have a different definition of "funk" :p). There weren't any themes that jumped out at me. A nice score overall, lots of non-thematic action cues. And I liked the end credits as well. :D

4. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    The End Credits rocked the hard one! Man, some credits (like LOTR, or Gladiator, for example) kind of make you leave the theater meloncholy and sad... They make you really ponder over what you just saw.

But the POTC credits remind me of the Star Wars credits- they just keep blasting in that high-energy mode and make you leave the theater humming the theme and "rarin'" to go!

Of course, I came home to download that mp3 off Kazaa (though, yes, I'm going to buy the CD), and I find out it's not coming out until the 22nd! :_|

Oh well. :D

5. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    That is kind of odd that the soundtrack is almost two weeks behind the film's release. Usually these major motion pictures have more coordinated marketing. Now, I don't necessarily think that having the soundtrack out weeks in advance is a good thing, but at least have it out for the opening weekend!

6. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I drove to Wal-Mart like a madman after the movie ended to grab the score, only to find out they didn't have it. Furthermore, finding out that it doesn't come out until the 22nd also broke my heart. Crap.

7. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yeah, maybe you should have checked on Amazon or something before going to the store (like *I* did :p ).

But yes, 'tis a great score.

8. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    i am *definitely* buying the soundtrack to this movie.. i loved the movie.. i loved the music

9. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    I love you too.

10. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    I was very impressed with this film and the score.I cannot wait for this soundtrack to be released,I really hope there is an instrumental version of "Yo Ho" on it,just wishfull thinking...

11. DjFoNiX

DjFoNiX Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2002
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one then.. I saw this movie with my sister, and she was begging to leave during the end credits. But, I wouldn't budge. That was really good music. Other people I've been talking to didn't like it. I'm glad I'm not the only one. The battle scenes, the end credits.. the whole thing was really good music. Klaus Badelt composes it.. He also composed 'The Time Machine', which was decent, in my opinion. When I watched the trailer again after I saw the movie, knowing that he did it, I noticed that.. At the end of the trailer, it lists Alan Silvestri doing the score. Weird. Although I enjoy 'Back to the Future', I don't see how he could've done next to that score.
    As much as I enjoyed that, I don't see how the word funk would describe it. But, it really was excellent music! Next Tuesday!

DjFoNiX

P.S. I also would enjoy a 'Yo Ho' instrumental.

12. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Well, "funk" just means "cool" or "awesome" to me. :p

13. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    At the end of the trailer, it lists Alan Silvestri doing the score. Weird. Although I enjoy 'Back to the Future', I don't see how he could've done next to that score.

I imagined that Sivertri wanted out of the movie because he was forced to compose dopey Jerry Bruckheimer music that has a 100-piece orchestra playing all the same notes, all at the same time.

14. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    I imagined that Sivertri wanted out of the movie because he was forced to compose dopey Jerry Bruckheimer music that has a 100-piece orchestra playing all the same notes, all at the same time.

I take it you didnt like the score then?

15. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    [face_laugh]

He seems a big miffed. :p

16. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    That sounded a bit grumpy, didn't it?

Well, let's just say that the former composer and Bruckheimer had creative differences.

17. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    C'mon, we all know that somebody named "Jerry" is not going to appreciate a musical style that is older than ten years!! Get a grip! :p

I tend to not really notice movie soundtracks in the theatre until the second or third viewing. (DOTF was an exception, and a rare one) I'll get back to you folks later on this.

Jaws: Ridding the world's oceans of slutty hippies and annoying kids since 1975. Bite/ouch

18. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I just heard some long sound clips from this score and boy did they suck. Klaus Badelt did really well with The Time Machine score, even if he ripped off Jerry Goldsmith a bit with the main theme, but this score just sounds like your typical Media Ventures crap.

I can't stand that Hans Zimmer-esque simulated orchestra crap that a lot of these composers churn out for all these Bruckheimer productions. The themes all sound exactly alike and have no development or harmony that is pleasing to the ear.

I really wish Silvestri had scored this film. Maybe then we could have gotten another The Mummy Returns.

19. DjFoNiX

Jul 30, 2002
    Well, opinions are opinions...

As for me:

One more day!!

DjFoNiX

20. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I wish Basil Poledouris had scored it. :D

21. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    I'm just glad I'm getting the soundtrack tomorrow. :p :D

w00h00! :D

22. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I've already got a sticky note on my table to remind me to go fetch one tomorrow...

I just hope one of the local stores has is right away!

23. DjFoNiX

Jul 30, 2002
    I'm right with you Kenobi!!
    I, too, have a sticky note on my monitor that says:
    "Get Pirates of the Caribbean Soundtrack Tuesday!!!!!"
    I shall probably go to Wal Mart. I dunno where I'm gonna go. I don't even know what I'm gonna do in the next three and three quarters minutes, honestly.

DjFoNiX

24. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Finally saw the movie. The music surprised me a bit, it's almost too vintage Media Ventures. You know, the macho music that categorizes signature works like Crimson Tide to lesser works such as The Rock. In the past few years MV (and especially group leader Mr. Zimmer) have diverged from this a bit, with varying success. Badelt's two attention grabbing scores last year didn't sound like this, either.

FWIW, I tend to like these scores more than some of MV's recent offerings, but not more so than their breakthroughs, which going back to Badelt would mean The Time Machine or K-19. The recent Gregson-Williams score to Sinbad is better too.

Cinemusic has a very fair review up IMHO.

25. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I just picked up my copy! :)

I've just started listening...

The disc clocks in at 43:39.

There is no proper "End Credits" track. :(

The last track "He's A Pirate" contains the theme used for the start of the end credits, but it's only 1:30 long.

So far, sounds good.

Track 2 "The Medallion Calls" has a melody that reminds me of the middle section of Holst's "Jupiter" from The Planets.

edit: Still haven't heard any "funk" yet... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.