main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Pirates of the Caribbean" Music... This stuff had funk!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    It's certainly better than the first (that's not too hard though), but it could still use a lot of work. One of my biggest problems is with those synths he constantly uses -- maybe it's just me, but I HATE how those things sound. For example, the third track (Davy Jones), starts out interestingly with a music box, slowly some light strings come in backing up the theme, it's then taken over by organ (with synth percussion), and then suddenly the synths completley take over - they just ruin what was a pretty cool track.

I don't think the synths would be nearly as bad if they were just backing up the orchestra, but the way he hits you over the head with them is what annoys me. Like I said, it's better than the first, but certainly has room for improvement.

2. PadmeLover1991

PadmeLover1991 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    i have to say the music was excellent, better than i'd expected. i especially liked the jig from the brawl scene in tortuga, "Two Hornpipes" and davy jones' new theme. I also thought the piece from "Jack Sparrow" was good, like a slowed down version of the main theme.

3. -Commander_Thigh-

-Commander_Thigh- Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2004
    I saw the film last night. Overall, the music was good, but in many places it seemed like he just copied and pasted entire cues from the first movie. I think my favorite parts of this score are the waltz from when they're swinging in the round cages, and the hoedown from the bar fight in Tortuga.

4. Jedi_Master_Johns

Jedi_Master_Johns Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2005
    I also saw it last night. And although I was delirious from lack of sleep at 2 A.M. I found the music to just be snippets from the first movie. I'm not exactly complaining because it seemed to work quite well and them music is outstanding to begin with. The new pieces were also magnificient. Did Klaus Badelt compose these new pieces or was it someone else?

5. -Commander_Thigh-

Aug 8, 2004
    I'm pretty sure it was all Zimmer for this film.

6. dvader234

dvader234 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2005
    It was all Zimmer, but supposedly he had a strong hand in the first one. I also realized he used a lot of the old music, but I thought it worked very well and he matched the cues and themes to their character counterparts. Examples:

Elizabeth and Will's Theme
    Jack Sparrow's Theme
    The Open Seas (Ocean Fight) Theme
    The Sword Duel Theme
    The Main Theme

7. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I was pleasantly surprised in that I didn't hate the music for this, at least, in-film. That doesn't mean I liked it, but I was overjoyed that Zimmer only played "He's a Pirate" a handful of times, and not constantly. The new theme for Sparrow is bareable, and I enjoyed the waltz Zimmer used for the swinging balls scene.

8. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Dead Man's Chest's music was completely rehashed in my opinion

9. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Tee-hee.:p

10. -Commander_Thigh-

Aug 8, 2004
    QFT

The only part I really liked was the waltz for the swinging balls.:p

And the bar fight music in Tortuga.

11. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    Well, even with some interesting additions to the score, it definitely has that "more of the same" feeling to it. But as I said before, it's a guilty pleasure so I've nonetheless enjoyed the music.

:cool:

12. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Even though I didn't care for the score on it's own, after seeing the film last night, I completley agree with Emperor's Prize.

13. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I know you mean that in a TOS-friendly kind of way. :p

I expected the score to be fairly derivitive of the first, but not quite as much as it was. Still, I bought the soundtrack after seeing the film today. I like the organ and the few changeups that have been mentioned above. I'm still searching for the cue that pretty much mirrors the beginning of "Barbossa Is Hungry"; haven't heard it on here yet.

Also, early in the film, I got the feeling on a few occasions that I was hearing the beginning notes of Habanera from Carmen.

14. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Hmm, I don't remember noticing that, but now that you mention it, the beginning of Jack's little cello theme is in the same style as Habanera and is somewhat reminiscent.

Something that stuck out to me were two times when I thought Zimmer was going to break out into a full MV rendition of Bach's Toccata and Fugue. It's only the first three notes, so he can't really be slammed for using the same three notes, but they are pretty popular (he could have tried to come up with something different)! To hear what I'm talking about, go to 3:06 on Wheel of Fortune.

15. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Ahhh, Zimmer!

16. MissIzzy

MissIzzy Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2006
    Who wrote the swinging cages waltz anyway? It had a feel that made me think Zimmer got it from somewhere instead of writing it himself, and that's the sort of scene where a famous enough piece of classical music just makes it funnier.

17. -Commander_Thigh-

Aug 8, 2004
    I'm listening to the soundtrack right now, and it's pretty good. It uses a lot less synths than POTC1 used, by far.

18. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    I only liked the first track. And I stopped liking it at 4:18, but I enjoyed 4:49 to the end.

19. PadmeLover1991

PadmeLover1991 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    i absolutely loved the new theme from track 2 "the Kraken", which started at around 1:27. the cue that plays when the merchant ship is being destroyed by the kraken, it uses the organ at first and turns into a full orchestral piece. beautiful :D

20. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    To any music buffs, I hear some people say that the Kraken organ pieces are inspired by Captain Nemo and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but because I have not heard this music, I have no idea. If so, I would like to give it a listen, as it is always interesting to hear older scores that give inspiration to younger composers.

21. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Define "orchestral." I listened to "The Kraken" and found it to be... well...

22. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    To me, The Kraken is one of the worst on the cd. I can't stand that low synthasized bass "thumping" in the beginning (reminds me a bit of Eric Serra's Goldeneye actually) and after the brief organ, it just turns into noise. Granted, I do like the organ theme, but it could have been much better if played on a real organ and not drowned out by all those synthesizers.

23. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I'm of the opinion that Klaus's original PotC score was far better. That score felt alive with its "funk," if you will.

Zimmer's PotC2 score feels bland in comparison, IMO. The only notable track is Davy Jones's theme.

And what's with the DJ Tiesto remix of "He's a Pirate"? Is a remix not supposed to contain at least some elements of the original? This felt like a totally new, virtually unrelated piece.

Give me Klaus's original "He's a Pirate" any day.

24. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Zimmer's score was just cut and paste with the original themes Klaus created. The Davey Jones theme was overrated IMO

25. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    it was still cool, I thought.

But wth is with the DJ Tiesto remix??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.