"Pirates of the Caribbean" Music... This stuff had funk!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    They tried to do something new because they obviously offered next to nothing
  2. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Knight

star 3
    I picked up the Best Buy edition, with two 'bonus remixes' on it- and frankly, both of these likely-cheapies are more enjoyable than the remix included standard (not that I'm much of a remix fan to begin with, but at least, like the original POTC, these remixes had 'funk!')
  3. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Didn't Zimmer write the original themes for the first film and Klaus Badelt, Ramin Djawadi, James Dooley, Nick Glennie-Smith, Steve Jablonsky, Blake Neely, James McKee Smith, and Geoff Zanelli write the underscore?

I don't think Klaus wrote any of the themes...
  4. basketcase Jedi Padawan

I'm not sure, but I've been listening to this soundtrack too on Napsterlinks. Zimmer is just a great composer, overall. I've been really impressed with what he comes up for movie soundtracks, especailly this one. One of my favorite tracks from here is "A Family Affair." The composition in this piece is just phenominal. What do you guys think of this song?

A Family Affair [Score Version] by Hans Zimmer : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/16986369
  5. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    How much was the "Best Buy Edition?"

In regards to "A Family Affair," I think it's one of my faves on the score. But that isn't really saying much. The entire score, save for "Davy Jones," IMO, is kind of bland and stale.

I like Zimmer--I love his Batman Begins score--but I don't think this is one of his best works.

EDIT:

Why didn't Disney keep Klaus for DMC?
  6. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Do you really think it would have made much of a difference?
  7. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    Yes.
  8. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    How do you think it would have? What makes Badelt so much more different from Zimmer?
  9. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Knight

star 3
    The Best Buy edition was an amazingly sweet deal of $9.99 upon release- half that of Borders'! Regularly, the sticker said $16.99, I believe.
  10. VADERVADERVADERVADER Jedi Padawan

I love this soundtrack....... I just wish it had the WHOLE movie music in it, not just 51 minutes!
    I don't really care for the He's A Pirate Remix too much because over HALF of it doesn't sound like He's A Pirate AT ALL!!
    It's just a steady, boring beat.
    This may be my FAVORITE soundtrack I have.
  11. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    I finally saw the movie and I liked the score, even though it was more of the same, but nicely arranged and works well in the movie.

The CD is funny. I still like it, heck, maybe even more than the first (or I just grew tired of it), but there's something to it. A different feel, more energy, something like that. But it's really funny that there are like a dozen newly composed notes and everything else is PotC1 in variation :D Good variation, but that's it. I love it :p
  12. PadmeLover1991 Jedi Knight

star 1
    i hav to say i disagree with a lot of people who say that the soundtrack to dead man's chest is just rehashed cues from the first film, because it isn't. if u sit down and listen to the soundtrack, practically every track has completely new music in, except for a few minutes. And the orignal music from the first film is then used in a new way and often expanded, like the fiddle melody from the start of the first film is expanded and worked into jack sparrow's theme in the first track of the dead man's chest soundtrack. Zimmer's work again is brilliant.

also the 'He's a pirate' remix by DJ Tiesto is absolute garbage and so are the rest of the remixes that have been done.
  13. Kwenn Force Ghost

star 5
    Got the soundtrack a few days ago, and although on first listening I didn't think much of it, it's growing on me.

"Jack Sparrow" is a great theme, particuarly when it picks up at the end with that dramatic theme. Fits the character well. "The Kraken" is likewise a great 'character' piece; I particuarly like the organ coming in with something that sounds very similar to the death march. "Davy Jones" is excellent; the music box is beautiful, and an iconic piece.

The middle of the score falls flat for me, with the exception of "I've Got My Eye On You" because of its use of the "hero theme" from the first film - which is sadly lacking throughout this score. Hopefully it'll return at full blast for the third. "Two Hornpipes" is a fun addition, though fairly superfluous, and "Tia Dalma" is a suitably moody, dramatic piece.

The last four tracks (I'm not even going to validate the final remix [face_plain]) are great, though "Family Affair" hasn't really caught my attention much. "Wheel of Fortune" is the perfect accompaniment to that awesome setpiece, though again I wish that familiar PotC theme was used a little more here. The final two tracks are, of course, very tense and dramatic, and the final zing is a nice touch.

Overall, a good score, but I still prefer the original in all its bombastic glory.
  14. captain_darth Jedi Padawan

According to Gore Verbinski, for Curse of the Black Pearl Klaus Badelt and Hanz Zimmer wrote most of the themes and all those other guys wrote the underscore. The "underscorians" I shall affectionately call them--are credited on the CotBP soundtrack as well as the DMC.

The first three tracks--Jack Sparrow, the Kraken, and Davey Jones are definately my favs on the cd followed closely be "Tia Dalma" and "Pete n'Red's Jolly Roger" remix on the Best Buy edition.
  15. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I love PotC. I'm not going to lie. To me, it's second only to one thing, and one thing only. (I'm sure all of you could guess what that is, if you tried really, really, really hard. ;) ) And part of what makes it so magnificent, what adds to the sense of wonder and awesomeness that goes with the whole saga, if you will, is the soundtrack. I find it absolutely phenomenal.

Let's take two of my favorite tracks, for instance: One Day and Up is Down. One Day, Will and Elizabeth's love theme, works so fantastically well when echoed throughout select moments in At World's End. I really see it as doing justice to the tragic nature of their relationship, while playing off of the little joy they get during that one day every ten years. (You know, "It depends on the one day.") It enhances their on-screen dynamics brilliantly. But when you listen to it by itself, the power and beauty of the music isn't diminished.

Up is Down, which is played during one of my favorite moments in At World's End, when "we're rocking the ship," infuses the entire scene with a sense of wonder that encompasses the entire film. When you listen to it individually as just a piece of musice, you'll find that it's a fun and upbeat track that rises and falls magnificently...kinda like a ship. :p

PotC tracks...so many of them are so full of coolness it's unreal. The Kraken, Jack's theme, The Medallion Calls, Two Hornpipes, Multiple Jacks, What Shall We Die For, Davy Jones theme...I really can't wait to see what the next film has in store for us.
  16. AllOutOfHappy Jedi Padawan

17. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I have to say that At World's End has been one of my favorite scores to listen to these last few years. There are still a few tracks from COTBP that I listen to a lot, but not so much from DMC.
  18. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    At World's End is my favorite of the PotC soundtracks. And my favorite PotC film, coincidentally. :p Some of those tracks really shine, way too many to mention.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.