main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Pirates of the Caribbean" Music... This stuff had funk!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Wowzers, I've only had it 4 days, but I have listened to it literally non-stop since I got it. Basically everything I am doing, I end up listenging to this CD while doing it. IT ROCKS. :D Best soundtrack I've bought in a LONG time. :D

Anyways, here's some stuff I loved about the CD...

[b]|-o-|[/b] That cool solo violin that begins the very first track! I don't remember where that came in the movie, but it's great! I love it. :D It makes appearances in other parts of this CD as well, but I can't figure out who or what it might be a theme for! [face_confused]

[b]|-o-|[/b] Also on Track 1, those flute (?) notes that are set off by themselves, and sound really... Uh, "windy." Like, you can hear the wind blowing through the instrument along with the note, and not just the clear, musical note. Maybe [b]Tenor[/b] knows what I'm talking about and can give it it's official musical term. Anyways, I love those two notes! They're so... I dunno, they really create an awesome mood! :D

[b]|-o-|[/b] Track 2... I [i]love[/i] this track! From the very beginning (that sounds a lot like "Breaking of the Fellowship" to me!), to the simply [i]AWESOME[/i] horn melody that comes in proudly as Jack Sparrow sails his little dingy... LMAO! [face_laugh] But the music is AWESOME there. :D This is one of my top 3 favorite tracks on the entire CD (along with "He's a Pirate" and "Barbossa is Hungry.").

[b]|-o-|[/b] "Barbossa Is Hungry"... Track 7, my goodness, this qualifies as my favorite track on the entire soundtrack. Whereas Track 2 is very grand, and Track 15 is very and all action, "Barbossa Is Hungry" appeals on both of these levels, and even a few more! It's got those awesome tom toms (I LOVE TOM TOMS!), those "windy" flutes, grand horns, tense strings... Everything. They all combine to create some awesome moods... Darkness, action, melodies of grandness, and just, I dunno, I love how this track is all over the board, so to speak, yet is very cohesive and is very entertaining. [face_grin] By far my favorite!

[b]|-o-|[/b] "He's A Pirate" just rocks. :D It's total, complete, action. It gets my blood pumpin'! [face_grin] But, coolly enough, it's not like "tens" action or "scary" action music, but "happy" and "light" action music! I love how it's fast and action, but uplifting!! This used to be my favorite track until I heard "Barbossa Is Hungry." I LOVE IT!
    [hr]

All in all, an amazing score. I'm extremely happy with purchasing it, and it is, without a doubt my favorite soundtrack of the year (only Return of the King has a chance of eclipsing it)!!! If you don't have it yet... GO BUY IT!!! [face_grin]

2. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Yeah, Sithy! :D

That's why I'm burning a new film score cd tonight, to add PotC cues. :)

I thought the same thing about The Medallion Calls sounding much like LOTR score.

And I see we agree on our favorite track! I'd just love to make an "entrance" to Barbossa Is Hungry, with the tom-toms and then the choir part... (almost as much as I want to make an entrance to The Emperor Arrives ;))

3. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Still can't find it anywhere. Best Buy, Virgin, etc. Everywhere's out of stock, with no idea when they're getting it back in. Best Buy had gotten some in last Friday, but I apparently got there about an hour too late, and they were all gone.

4. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I got one last Tuesday at a local chain (The Exclusive Company), and one last Wednesday at K-Mart. Each store only had one copy. I've not seen any at places I've been like Target or Wal-Mart since then. Haven't been to a Best Buy-type place this week. I'm sure this soundtrack was not expected to be a "big item" like a SW release, so each store probably only ordered a limited number of copies.

You may want to go the "order online" route.

5. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    Too expensive. With shipping and everything, it would be around $20. I want the CD, but I refuse to pay that much.

6. DjFoNiX

DjFoNiX Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2002
    I'm right with ya, dehrian.

Still, for one week now, of constant searching, I still have not found it!!

I've made a list of numbers I got from 411, and have called them all nearly every day since last Tuesday:
    Borders, 2 Wal Marts, Tower, 2 Best Buys, 2 Targets, Wherehouse, Sam Goody. Nobody!
    Best Buy even went so far as to say: "I've gotten a lot of calls for it. And, from what I see, I don't even think there is a soundtrack"!! What is up with this?!

I really want it. But, not only will it be a lot more expensive online. But, it will take at least one to two weeks on Amazon. I was hoping that some store would have it in by then. I'm thinking that I may have to resort to buying it online. I have seen the movie three times, thus far. And, each time I see it, the music sounds better and better!!

DjFoNiX

7. Jedi_Frodo_Baggins

Jedi_Frodo_Baggins Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    I loved the music for PotC.

I made special note after I saw it the first time to watch for the composer's name. When I looked back on Klaus Badelt's music history I realized that I had never really noticed the music from K-19 or The Time Machine. I also watched The Recruit later on and still didn't notice the music. But I definetly noticed the music in Pirates of the Caribbean. :D

I just got the soundtrack and it seems that all of my friends love the music as well. I was satisfied; a good movie and a good soundtrack. :)

It seems that a lot of people who like the music from LOTR like the music from POTC as well. I guess because they are similar in style.

8. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    It's been my experience that plenty of stores don't get all the released soundtrack items. Or, it takes them a long time. All things considered, soundtracks just aren't that big a market.

The outpour of enthusiasm here is stunning. Is it because the movie is a success? I wonder what other soundtracks you've all bought before this.

I like The Medallion Calls the most, but would never compare this score to Shore's work on LOTR. They couldn't be more different.

9. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    I agree. I think people's enthusiasm for both LOTR and POTC's soundtracks is based more on the fact that they seem to appeal to a similar audience rather than any similarity in the scores. I find them to be vastly different.

Still looking. Asked at Best Buy today, and was told by someone in charge that, contrary to what else I may have been told, they'd never actually received a single copy of it. They have 15 on order, have had since the day it was released, and have no idea when they're going to get any of those in stock.

In fact, of the six local Best Buys (within an hour's drive) only one location received one single copy.

Similar story at Virgin. Received a half dozen copies the day it came out, quickly sold out, have several more on order, but no idea when they're coming in.

I must say that I find this utterly ridiculous. While the record industry bemoans how the internet is destroying the record industry and cutting into sales, my only options for getting this soundtrack are the internet: either buying it over Amazon or illegally downloading it, because God knows they're not making it available in stores. I want to buy a copy in stores, but they won't let me.

10. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Good Lord, this music is incredible. I almost started a thread about it, until I saw this one. I can't believe I didn't see this until now.

I really like the running theme in it, and I like how every track has excitement in it. I've been listening to it for 3 days straight! :D

11. DjFoNiX

Jul 30, 2002
    Well, I just caved in and ordered it online. Amazon.com said that I could expect it August 7th. Unfortunately, I realized I'd be on vacation then. Therefore, I won't receive it till the 15th. Aaaarrrgghh! I couldn't wait till the 22nd of July for it, and it'll be nearly a month after that before I can finally get it. My only consolation is humming the music in my head.

DjFoNiX

12. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Oh, I wasn't saying the entire score, or even track was similar to LOTR...just the theme played on the strings right at the beginning of The Medallion Calls. :)

13. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I finally got it!

14. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    ...Aaaand? What do ya think of it? :D

15. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    I've decided, upon seeing the movie, that as soon as I can free up the money for it, this soundtrack will be mine.
    Unless the library gets it first. Yeah, right. :p

16. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I thought it was really fun. My favorite tracks where The Medallion calls,Will,and Elizabeth,Blood Ritual,Barbossa is hungry,Moonlight Serenade,and He's a pirate

Review up tonight,got to listen to the cd again

17. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    I finally got my hands on it today at Best Buy. Still haven't had a chance to listen to it, though. I'm low on cash, but after trying to find it for the past two weeks, I just couldn't pass it up.

18. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Yay! :D

And how are things going for you my friend?

Glad you could stop in and post! :)

19. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    All right. I'm at work. I just wish things were busier here tonight.

20. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    As Promised my review

Fog Bound I liked it really sets up the movie,and soundtrack well. Great Black Pearl theme

The Medallion Calls Probably one of the best themes of the whole soundtrack,really a lot of fun. It has some great choral bits in it

Black Pearl I dunno this is what I like to call a sampler,has all most every theme used in the movie still fun

Will,and Elizabeth Great action theme,well paced,and it justs gets you excited. I love when music does that! :D

Swords Crossed Is okay,Gots some great action music

Walk the Blank need to listen to again review tomorrow

Barbossa is Hungry,Really dark,and is loud,and tense. Really good!

Blood Ritual review tomorrow

Moonlight Serenade Good Theme leaves you at the beginning a chance to catch your breath,then it gives you another sampler. But it is a very good one.

To The Pirates Cave Review tomorrow

Skulls,and Crossbones one of the best themes. You feel the music telling the story. I remembered this part excatly in POTC.

Bootstrap's Bootstraps Another action/dramatic theme.

One last shot I like this one a lot cause it changes the Pirate theme to a heroic one.

He's a Pirate Greatness! :D

21. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    Okay, been listening to it tonight at work since it's kinda slow here. I like it a lot. I just wish some of the tracks were longer, or that there were more of them. The CD's got about 30 minutes of blank space on it.

22. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Wow, I just bought the POTC soundtrack, and I have got a lot to say.

Fog Bound was really good for a beginning track.
    The best track award goes to Swords Crossed.
    Second best track was Underwater March. Really creepy... :D
    Overall, this soundtrack was AWESOME!!

EXCEPT....
    The CD wasn't filled. They could have put in much more music.
    It was too short.
    There was no real theme. The themes were mixed in with the other music.
    Repetition usually isn't good, but on this soundtrack it was tolerable. I found myself saying: "Didn't I hear this already?"
    The last track "He's a Pirate", I thought would be the awesome end credits. But I was wrong. It was about 1 min. 30 sec. long. Very disappointing, if you were expecting more.

It took me a while to find this CD, but it was worth it. :D

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SEQUEL!!

23. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Well, even though this score has been ripped on by critics for several reasons (synths, "texture", theme development, etc.), I like it a lot. It's fun to listen to.

I agree that not having the end credits weakens the cd. I think a lot of score was still being recorded shortly before the release of the film, so that might be a factor in the length of the cd.

24. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Speaking of reviews. Wow. Filmtracks HATED this score. Check it out:

Filmtracks review

I gotta say I agree with so much of what they say about Media Ventures and their factory assembly line approach to making scores. It takes all the art and joy out of it. I am very familiar with Hans Zimmer's work. Some of it is very good and some of it just sucks.

Overall I prefer scores that have less synth and more real instruments. Oh and "Overproduced by Hans Zimmer" is just hilarious. Most of his stuff is definately over processed, over sampled and over produced, so.... ironic and funny, that.

25. DjFoNiX

Jul 30, 2002
    Yay! I got it!

There was this one musical sequence in the movie that I was hoping to find. And, I found it in Swords Crossed... In the last minute and a half. It's the scene where Elizabeth is on the deck with Barbossa after their conversation together, and she first realizes that the crew is cursed! I also enjoyed the violin in the beginning of Fog Bound, a running thing that played at various times throughout the soundtrack. That was very good. The soundtrack is absolutely AMAZING! I haven't listened to it enough yet to decide a favorite. Swords Crossed, Barbossa is Hungry, Underwater March, One Last Shot, and He's a Pirate are all good. Some of the other ones were good. But, I wasn't paying enough attention to the track playing. Next thing I knew, I was onto the next track. It went by too quick. I really think the End Titles would've been awesome if they had it in its entirety. Well.. What can you do? Well worth the wait!

Whoo hoo! I've got it!

DjFoNiX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.