main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Pirates of the Caribbean" Music... This stuff had funk!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Glad you finally got it, DJ! :)

I don't care what the critics say. Even if some of their points are valid, a lot of the negativity is based on an attitude towards Media Ventures. Some people criticize before they even see the film or listen to the complete score!

The bottom line is whether or not you enjoy it. And this is a fun movie and a nice "funky" soundtrack. :D

2. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    I thought the soundtrack was great and all, but they could have done a lot more with it.
    Hans Zimmer does a good job. The review was right though: the soundtrack could have been any action movie like aliens, military, etc.
    BUT IT'S STILL GREAT!! :D

3. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    The soundtrack goes insanely good with the movie.

After listening to it for a week straight, I went and saw the movie again, and it makes the movie a lot more enjoyable.

4. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    ^^^

And that's the whole point, isn't it?

:D

5. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    You would think so, but then there's those oddball movies that have no focus on music whatsoever, and it's just really boring.

I listened to the music more instead of watching the movie when I saw it last. My favorite part of it is currently dictated by my favorite point in the soundtrack. :D

6. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I finally saw this movie, and I think the score is quite good. Robust and expansive, it compliments the film well.

7. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    I'm looking forward to the next Pirates movie very, very much.

8. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Is there a sequel being made?

9. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
  10. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I hope not it was a one movie deal for me

11. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Its been confirmed for a sequel,check the ampitheater pirate thread for more.

12. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    GK:

From ComingSoon.net:

With Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean doing extremely well at the box office, the studio is already talking of setting sail on a sequel to the feature.

In anticipation of the film's success, Disney had made sequel arrangements with such key cast members as Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley, as well as with the behind-the-scenes duo of producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Gore Verbinski.

The studio has also begun talks with "Pirates" writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio about drafting a sequel, though no specific story line has yet been set.

13. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Cool. :)

I listened to the PotC cd all the way through tonight for the first time in a few weeks. I still love it! :D

14. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    Me too. I saw the movie again on Sunday, and it's still not old.

I still pay more attention to the music than the movie now, though. :D

15. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yay for Germany's late releases. After the first week PotC ("Fluch der Karibik" - why do they have to translate titles?!) is running here, I finally saw it. And while I had the CD and listened to it befor seeing it, it's even better in the movie. Especially in the End Credits, yes! Very sad, that we don't get that on the CD. After first listening to the CD I already thought it was too short.

But good that I had the great music to endure the really long end credits :p Or I would've missed the ending :eek:
    That was cool :cool:

And I just read all of this thread. Unfortunately, I can't remember the track names yet, so half the time I had no idea what you were talking about :p I don't even know what I'm listening to right now. So I can just say, for now, that all in all, I like this score.

and the fact that I got it far easier than you guys :p ordered it together with Hook, which saved me the shipping costs. :D

16. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    Well, since the end credits are the "main theme", just listen to some other part of the soundtrack for it. :p

17. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    meh, it's a question of principle

when I have the DVD I'll just Audio-rip the Credits
    I'll only edit out the monkey

18. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    From moviemusicuk:

In giving Pirates of the Caribbean a four-star review, I'm making myself undergo a crisis of conscience. How can I, as a "respected" reviewer of film music, give such a high rating to a score which is quite blatantly inappropriate for the movie, predictable to the extreme, and derivative of virtually every major Media Ventures action score written in the last ten years? The answer, simply, is that it is a whole lot of fun. Pirates of the Caribbean is possibly the ultimate soundtrack guilty pleasure.

. . .

However, having said all that, and despite understanding how inappropriate a film score it is, I still can't stop listening to it. It's bad, but I like it anyway. What can I do? In the end, Pirates of the Caribbean is a score which you have to listen to with all your critical and intellectual sensors switched off, lest you be driven insane by the knowledge that something so overbearing, unoriginal, and commercially unethical can give you 43 minutes of excellent film music pleasure.

19. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    interesting review. these reviews alone are worth having the soundtrack :D

20. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I've got a question: How far did Silvestri get? Was his score ever actually recorded? Is there a chance that the "unreleased Silvestri score" will show up someday?

21. SithHolocron

SithHolocron Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2003
    Something most people don't know:
    The end of the Gladiator Battle Theme is actually the Pirates of the Caribbean Theme.

22. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    That would explain why I keep humming Gladiator after PotC. But is it really the same?!

23. SithHolocron

SithHolocron Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2003
    Yes. At 5:53 on the Battle Theme of Gladiator, the Pirates of the Caribbean theme begins. It ends at 6:10.

I believe that this selection from Pirates was played during Captain Jack Sparrow's escape from the British Royal Navy. It was also played in some of the trailers.

24. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    Perfect music for Pirate Day! :D

25. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    The end of the Gladiator Battle Theme is actually the Pirates of the Caribbean Theme.

Are you referring to the Russel Crowe movie Gladiator? If so, wouldn't it be better said that the Pirates of the Caribbean Theme is actually the end of the Gladiator Battle Theme?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.