main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Pirates of the Caribbean" Music... This stuff had funk!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yah and Zimmer is doing the second Pirates score. It's pretty much Zimmer.

2. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    I absolutely love the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack. The music is just pure magic, to say the least. My favorite scores on it would have to be these:

2. The Medallion Calls
    3. The Black Pearl
    4. Will & Elizabeth
    7. Barbossa is Hungry
    9. Moonlight Serenade
    14. One Last Shot
    15. He's A Pirate

3. MasterJedi-OliverR

MasterJedi-OliverR Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2004
    I know, I like it alot too!
    Those are my favorite tracks as well.

4. PadmeLover1991

PadmeLover1991 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    Anyone seen the trailer for Dead Man's Chest. I have the tiniest inkling that the music in the trailer might be new music written by Hans Zimmer for the film itself, and not written just for the trailer. Either way, this is just me speculating. :)

5. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    I've seen the trailer at least 10 times all ready! I can't wait for it! And the music sounds great as well.

6. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    My community band is now playing a medley of Pirates of the Caribbean music and it is totally awesome! Playing it in band has urged me to go and buy the soundtrack which is excellent. The songs featured in the medley I'm playing are The Medallion Calls, The Black Pearl, To The Pirates Cave, One Last Shot and He's A Pirate. I can't even seem to get the music out of my head.

7. General_Quenobi

General_Quenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2004
    Hanz Zimmer and his "proteges" . . . factory composers . . . churn out stuff that all sounds the same. I mean, most of the music works well in the film, but as a product on its own it is difficult to have more than a couple Zimmer scores because they all overlap and sound like they are just evolutions of the same movie. Case in point: Piates and Gladiator.

The timing and rhythm and melody are very similar. I had never listened to the score for Gladiator and only saw bits and pieces of it. I have seen Pirates and have the soundtrack on my PC. Without ever really listening to the Gladiator score, I was able to hum along and correctly get the melody and rhytm because it was exactly like Pirates.

Anyway, enough of my ranting. I'm beginning to offend myself!

8. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    Not to derail the thread or anything, but for those of you who doubt Zimmer, you should really check out his score to Beyond Rangoon. It's a really interesting score and very thematic.

As for Pirates of the Caribbean though, I have to agree that it's far too similar to the theme in Gladiator and borrows heavily from The Rock as well as other MV scores.

9. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Interesting! I didn't know PotC music could be arranged for real instruments.

10. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
  11. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    *rimshot*

Good stuff.

12. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Is PotC the only joke film score collectors have? Is Horner avalable for ridicule?

13. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I generally prefer Horner over most the MV guys, but he can certainly be ridculed for his 4 note danger motif. That fact that those 4 notes show up in just about all his scores makes me laugh.

14. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    It seemed to kinda develop in Troy. When they first see the Trojan Horse on the beach. I liked it in Wrath of Khan, though. I like how it didn't play for the oncoming Confederate troops in Glory, too.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    On topic guys...

16. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    This music is generic.[face_plain]

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well for being generic, a lot of people who don't normally like film music seem to recognize and like it.

18. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    That's because it's easily accessible. It's catchy and rousing and works well in the equally derivative film. The fact that it's generic is what makes it so appealing to so many people. But, out of the context of the movie, for me anyway, it's trash. Cookie cutter, Media Ventures trash.

And I'm in no way biased against MV or the composers that come out of that camp. I've enjoyed numerous Zimmer scores, as well as John Powell's and Harry Gregson-Williams' work.

19. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    The POTC medley I'm playing was arranged by John Wasson. My whole band loves playing the music. We have this inside joke where we all shout "ARGH!" at the end of the piece. Fun stuff.

20. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    So while I'm hating on the Pirates score for not being Swashbuckling, what are some scores that are, besides Cutthroat Island? Hook?

21. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    The Adventures of Robin Hood.

22. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    The Sea Hawk...Prince Valiant...I'd say Star Wars...

ttbk, Prince Valiant:D

23. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    I've been looking for The Sea Hawk for quite some time.

24. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    I just have the Charles Gerhardt suite...I believe John Morgan and William Stromberg are supposed to release a recording of the fulll score this year though.

ttbk

25. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Go back to your old icon...It was cool. And Is it true that there were no real instruments used in PotC?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.