main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Pirates of the Caribbean

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by sideshow212, Jul 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    I went to one of the viewings they had at the El Capitan last night. IT WAS AWESOME!! It was even COOLER to see it there then it had been to see the early screening....

The theatre is right across the street from Grauman's and OMG did I have a blast!!! I hadn't been down there ever before, well we may have gone down there when I was really young but I don't remember it at all...

Anyways it's an awesome old theatre all lit up on the outside, but they also have a huge pirate flag and cannons above the marquee!!

Inside is beyond amazing. Not only are there costumes and props but the entire mural inside is painted to match with movie with all the stars portraits on it. PLUS EVERYTHING from the ATM to the bathrooms to the concession stands, I MEAN EVERYTHING has a pirate sign and theme. And I don't mean just some temporary sign, for example:
    The actual plastic face plate piece of the atm, that SAYS ATM on it matches the brown movie poster and has a skull and cross bones... Plus every single usher, ticket taker, refreshment stand employee, etc. are in full pirate gear... The bathrooms signs are even appropriate, ie Wenches, etc. :p They must spend a FORTUNE to get this place ready for each Disney movie! I don't think they will leave all of it up when they premiere the next one, but who knows...

Inside the actual theatre, where you sit, they do a show before the movie. There are displays of treasure and gold that light up and canons that go off on the right and left of the stage up high, and there is a HUGE skull and crossbones up in the very center above the screen. It was sooooo neat!!

Any of you that may be thinking of seeing it there if you have time when you come for Comic Con, I highly recommend it. IT is by far, the COOLEST show I have seen in a long time. The way they decorated it, created such a cool atmosphere, well it's definately worth seeing!

Oh and when we left, there was an employee in pirate attire with a real parrot that looked just like the one in the movie, hanging around outside. :p Too Cool! ;)

I have pics if anyone wants to see of the whole experience. They are very cool about letting people take pictures. :D

2. MJ_Keehan_Sundve

MJ_Keehan_Sundve Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    I'm going to see it again today!!

3. Jedi_Webb

Jedi_Webb Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    I FINALLY had a chance to see POTC.. and all I have to say is WOW! I can't wait for this to be out on DVD.

4. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    I keep forgetting to post this. It's a pictorial of the El Capitan theater that Princess was trying to describe.

I missed this....I weep.

POTC Pictorial

5. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    yep, that's it :D
    and I'm going back cause I missed the Orlando stuff in the basement!! :eek:
    I'll have to post some of the pics from the inside too, especially the stage!!

6. Master_Ronin

Master_Ronin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    I saw it last week I think, sweet movie!

Though I did note some flaws that were hard to forgive.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!

Early in the movie, the first time he's escaping, he rides his chains down the rope from the ship. It appears that he drapes the chain over the rope and slides down. This would have been impossible, as the rope would have to pass first through the chain, or his arm.

Secondly, at the end of the movie. Orlando tosses a sword under the trap door of the noose, it sticks in the wood, allowing Johnny to get a footing. How many people have ever split a piece of wood before? Even using an ax at close range, it takes a lot of swings to make any sort of headway into wood when chopping with the blade perpendicular to the grain. It's much faster to chop with the grain, a block of wood can be split with 1 swing. That being said, with the way that his sword sticks into the wood, and the way he tossed it, it would have taken an INCREDIBLE amount of force, more than a normal man could muster, to stick it in far enough to support the weight of a grown man.

Other than those glaring flaws (unless someone can prove me wrong), it was great!

7. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    I figured he tossed the loop of the chain over, (Effectively folding it in quarters) grabbed the loop end and slid down.

8. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    how many pirates do you know who turn into skeletons when moonlight hits them? :p i think they were going for a fantasy thing, heh.

the sword at the end i thought wasn't very realistic, but that was sort of the joke. at the beginning orlando did that and johnny was like, "nick trick," cause he couldn't pull it out. obviously he couldn't really do that, but it's still cool. ;P

9. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    Are you certain that it was perpendicular to the grain ? I don't remember either way. We're going to see it for our 2nd time tomorrow and I'll keep and eye out for that.

10. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Orlando's HOT!

Swords smords...Chains smains.... bah. :p
    I wasn't looking at swords and chains...I was looking elsewhere. :p :D [face_devil]

11. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    woo hoo!!! I got the COOLEST pirates stuff today!! :D
    Ok I have a slight obsession with promotional and advertising items for movies, and I usually end of having to buy them off ebay. When I have asked ahead of time, a store usually forgets and GASP! throws the stuff away. Exception to this rule would be the AWESOME dvd/vhs rack for Star Wars AOTC that I got from Hollywood Video. It is SO SWEET!

Well I had found some pirates stuff and was told I could pick it up today but knowing my luck in the past, I wasn't holding my breath. Welp it was all there AND in excellent condition still!!! :D

So tonight I am taking a picture of it AND a certain Slytherin tie. :p Maybe I can figure out how to host the pics by then and actually add them to this post :D

12. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    I got my pack of pirates stuff that I bought off ebay today as well :D OMG it ROCKS!

Ok so I spent like $30 but that really was a deal because the posters alone were going for that much, and the pins sometimes as well....

So it came with 5 different pins that are basically pics of the different stars like the movie poster images. The posters are double sided and one has Orlando on one side and Keira on the other. The 2nd poster has Johnny on one side and Geoffrey on the other. So the guy said there were 2 posters included. I figured that way I only needed to buy one more set of them so I could frame both sides. :D Welp no need, he included 4 posters!! I was sooooooo happy! That and there is a rare mini pin, sticker, and mini poster (a mini version of the disneyland one I snagged for Void, Jess, and Sarah)...They are soooo cool! And I haven't seen them anywhere else yet on ebay :D

This is turning out to be an AWESOME pirates kind of day :p :D

13. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    stole this from denver... :D

whats your pirate name?

oh, and the answer to ronin's earlier question about the chain...

he had alot of slack in the chain between the cuffs, so he doubled it over, swung it over the rope, and grabbed teh end of it.
    the last time i watched it i paid close attention to that part... :D

also, if you haven't already, stay until after the credits!!!

14. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    And I tried to look, but couldn't get a close view. Bit it did APPEAR to be going perpendicular to the grain of the wood.

EDIT

Pirate name

Captain William Kidd

Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!

15. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    I've done this before but got a different name....anyways, here's mine:

Captain Prudentilla Rackham

Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. You have the good fortune of having a good name, since Rackham (pronounced RACKem, not rack-ham) is one of the coolest sounding surnames for a pirate. Arr!

16. LORDPARSEC

LORDPARSEC Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    This HAS to be the BEST movie I've seen all summer! Here are the big ones I've been waiting for and what I thought of them (POSSIBLE SPOILERS OF SEVERAL FILMS).

Terminator 3 - A good flick. It was fun, violent and a cool hot chick Terminator. I'm not big on actors and actresses names so forgive me, but the main girl (the one who gets with John in the end) needs to further her acting coaching. I also severely missed the "bad girl" persona portrayed by Sarah Connor in T2. All in all, a good film. But it was nothing more than a setup for T4.
    PS. Arnold is looking a little old too. Still good, but old...

Tomb Raider, The Cradle of Life - Again, a good action film with lots of scenes with Lara in a bikini! But with several flaws. Having a new director for this one severely downplayed the cinematography. There were no artistic shots of any kind. If you've seen the first one, you know what I'm talking about. Cool music put to strange shots where the sky over head is in fast motion while everthing below is normal. That sort of thing. It was also way too gadget oriented, I was waiting for "Q" from the Bond movies to turn up. They spend way to much of the story stuck in China and they have probably the suckiest Villain I've seen in a long time. Good movie, but the first one still cremes it!

LSG - Still waiting to see it. :(

Pirates - This movie kicked so much @$$! It's hard to begin. It was Funny, exciting, had a good story with characters you cared about. Nothing beats a good old fashioned sword fight! It reminded me in a good way of the 3 Musketeers. Soundtrack was awesome! Went to 3 stores and they were sold out! This is an absolute must see!

So there's my two cents! :)

17. LORDPARSEC

LORDPARSEC Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    This HAS to be the BEST movie I've seen all summer! Here are the big ones I've been waiting for and what I thought of them (POSSIBLE SPOILERS OF SEVERAL FILMS).

Terminator 3 - A good flick. It was fun, violent and a cool hot chick Terminator. I'm not big on actors and actresses names so forgive me, but the main girl (the one who gets with John in the end) needs to further her acting coaching. I also severely missed the "bad girl" persona portrayed by Sarah Connor in T2. All in all, a good film. But it was nothing more than a setup for T4.
    PS. Arnold is looking a little old too. Still good, but old...

Tomb Raider, The Cradle of Life - Again, a good action film with lots of scenes with Lara in a bikini! But with several flaws. Having a new director for this one severely downplayed the cinematography. There were no artistic shots of any kind. If you've seen the first one, you know what I'm talking about. Cool music put to strange shots where the sky over head is in fast motion while everthing below is normal. That sort of thing. It was also way too gadget oriented, I was waiting for "Q" from the Bond movies to turn up. They spend way to much of the story stuck in China and they have probably the suckiest Villain I've seen in a long time. Good movie, but the first one still cremes it!

LSG - Still waiting to see it. :(

Pirates - This movie kicked so much @$$! It's hard to begin. It was Funny, exciting, had a good story with characters you cared about. Nothing beats a good old fashioned sword fight! It reminded me in a good way of the 3 Musketeers. Soundtrack was awesome! Went to 3 stores and they were sold out! This is an absolute must see!

So there's my two cents! :)

18. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    my pirate name?

Captain John Flint

Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. Like the rock flint, you're hard and sharp. But, also like flint, you're easily chipped, and sparky. Arr!

oh yea, PARSEC, ass is one of the few words you can say... ;)

19. Master_Ronin

Master_Ronin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    O...M...G

Black Harry Kidd

Like anyone confronted with the harshness of robbery on the high seas, you can be pessimistic at times. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!

Hello, my name is Black Harry Kidd. There's something VERY VERY VERY VERY WRONG WITH THAT.

20. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002

My pirate name is:
    Iron Jack Kidd

A pirate's life isn't easy; it takes a tough person. That's okay with you, though, since you are that person. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!

21. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    seems to be alot of kidds... :p

22. blackfeather

blackfeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    I shall henceforth be the dark scourge of the waters known as:

Black Davy Kidd

Like anyone confronted with the harshness of robbery on the high seas, you can be pessimistic at times. Even though you're not always the traditional swaggering gallant, your steadiness and planning make you a fine, reliable pirate. Arr!

Seems to be a lot of Blacks and Kidds round here. Methinks I doth detect a bug...

23. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    I agree Blackfeather,
    And there's just a TAD too many people "in charge"....I was begining to think that was the standard blurb...

24. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    I've got a working 15th century cut and thrust sword that says I'm in charge (period equipment only please) :)

25. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    well voidy,
    since no ones the boss of me....... :p ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.